Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2003 8:19:05 PM EDT
I see Nebr. has gone to a new alpha/numeric system. Nothing like replacing a system that made sense with a confusing system like Colo. has.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Only dougla/sarpy county went with that. It used to be that the first digit was the county number according to population of the county. So Douglas County was number 1 with Omaha, and Lancaster was county 2 with Lincoln. Then they decided that 1 and the combination of numbers letters remaining no more than 7 characters was not enough combinations for all the Omaha residents. Douglas and Sarpy county went to the system you describe. All other still start with the county number and then some letters. So if you see someone drivng with that system you described you will know they are from Omaha area.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought it might be something like running out of numbers.

We sure are getting a lot of Omaha tourists out here this summer. I think I've seen more of these new plates this summer than I've seen all other style of NE. plates since I moved here 14 yrs ago. Maybe not that many but...damn. Still see an occasional plate from elsewhere.

Thanks Dave.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top