Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2022 7:35:17 PM EDT
Seeing if there are any FFLs here. Was curious what the process would be for someone to ship their own firearms to themselves in Alaska via a FFL.

Back story, my sister and brother-in-law are moving this summer to Alaska for a year. They will not be flying and they will not be using the ferry. They are driving through Canada.
They want to bring a handgun and a rifle to Alaska and we are trying to figure out how to get the guns there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I always come in through Sweet Grass, drop the weapons off on a gun store there, and they send them up to another FFL in Tok. I pick them up on the way in. Next time I might just have them sent to Arctic Ammo or something.

If they have someone up here, they can always mail the long arms c/o, and just send the handguns via FFL.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:46:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By czechsix:
I always come in through Sweet Grass, drop the weapons off on a gun store there, and they send them up to another FFL in Tok. I pick them up on the way in. Next time I might just have them sent to Arctic Ammo or something.

If they have someone up here, they can always mail the long arms c/o, and just send the handguns via FFL.
View Quote

You’re an Alaska resident though. I’m not sure you can buy a handgun at an FFL here with an out of state ID. If OPs family is going to get Alaska licenses then it’s too easy. But if they plan on keeping lower 48 ones it might make it more difficult.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 3:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeonardC] [#3]
If the rifle is a "fudd gun" they can bring it through Canada pretty easily.  Have form filled out, gun in a locked case, declare it at Canada BP, and follow all the rules.  It was $25 (cash C$) for all the guns we had with us.  And you can carry ammo with you.

I've done some dealing with Artic Ammo in Wasilla.  Very nice people.  I bought a rifle from someone else and they shipped it to AA.  It was only like $10 for the paper work.  I'm sure they could explain how to go about it if you gave them a call.  I don't have a clue if you need to "buy" your own guns.

Have a plan for ammo.  I haven't shopped for ammo but some people have had a hard time finding the right ammo for them.

Good luck.  Enjoy Alaska!

(Edit: only need the FFL for shipping the handgun.)
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty sure you can legally ship a gun you own to yourself in another state.  No FFL needed.

Give it a quick Google, there are some requirements for shipping a handgun to yourself.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK_Mike] [#5]
You can mail long guns through the mail to yourself, but not handguns.  For those pick out a local FFL with a low transfer fee and have them shipped to them.  Then you pick them up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:56:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#6]
As the other guys have said, you can ship long guns from yourself to yourself USPS with some caveats.

The handgun will be the issue as you have to be an Alaska resident to pick it up, that one is federal law.  Can't ship handguns through USPS unless you are a FFL, and common carriers (FedEx, UPS, etc) will only go to a dealer, if the decide to take it.  Then you're stuck not being able to pick up your own pistol until you get an AK state ID with valid address, etc.

Short answer on handguns is unless you're on the ferry, flying, or willing to wait a few weeks, don't bother.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top