Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2022 11:49:49 PM EDT
Not a fan of driving to Maud and no longer a member at Birchwood. What are my other options? I'd be all over rabbit creek but the super fuddy rules they have posted. do they really count to make sure you aren't firing more than 10 rounds in the gun at once?
I'd have no problem trying the Palmer indoor range but their hours are short and the valley is currently suffering from winterpocalypse.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The Matanuska Valley Sportsmen range outside palmer is a 501(c)3 non profit range.  Hence all that work there are not paid staff.  Their open hours are a little low, but with 12 indoor pistol lanes and 4 indoor high caliber lanes, it is a good place to have some fun.  Besides the coffee is always on!
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AkBearcat:
The Matanuska Valley Sportsmen range outside palmer is a 501(c)3 non profit range.  Hence all that work there are not paid staff.  Their open hours are a little low, but with 12 indoor pistol lanes and 4 indoor high caliber lanes, it is a good place to have some fun.  Besides the coffee is always on!
View Quote
I'm about 1.5 miles from it.  Shouldn't be any winterpocalypse going on there now.  We haven't had any wind to speak of since Tuesday, not even a breeze.  The north side of town is still getting some gusts, but nothing down here in the flat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
There was an issue with one of the main range heaters, but that should completed today 6 January 2022.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I normally would be the first one to say skip Rabbit Creek as I have had frustrating things happen there in the past more than once.

Last couple years have been much better.  

While I'm quite sure they would say something after a second or third mag dump or if they thought you were working a binary trigger, it's been pretty good lately.

I would expect you to have zero issues sighting in a pistol.

And between the weather and ammo situation you would likely be one of the only people there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ArmyAirborne:
I'm about 1.5 miles from it.  Shouldn't be any winterpocalypse going on there now.  We haven't had any wind to speak of since Tuesday, not even a breeze.  The north side of town is still getting some gusts, but nothing down here in the flat.
View Quote
Okay you guys convinced me I'll try to give Palmer a shot next Thursday.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The range is closed to open shooting on Thursdays! Sorry!
 Wed 1800-2100 and Friday 1200-2100.  Sat/Sun 1600-2100 and Monday 1800-2100.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm also a former Birchwood member and wasn't looking forward to shooting at Rabbit Creek, but have been pleasantly surprised at how laid back the staff has been whenever I've been there.  The only thing I miss is drawing from the holster, so I make the trek to Maud to practice that.  But for most everything else I do, Rabbit Creek has been fine.  I gave it a try once and then bought an annual pass.  

I still can't believe that in Alaska of all places we only have four places to shoot within an hour of Anchorage, and that two of them cost as much as they do.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds rough down there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AKPadre:
I'm also a former Birchwood member and wasn't looking forward to shooting at Rabbit Creek, but have been pleasantly surprised at how laid back the staff has been whenever I've been there.  The only thing I miss is drawing from the holster, so I make the trek to Maud to practice that.  But for most everything else I do, Rabbit Creek has been fine.  I gave it a try once and then bought an annual pass.  

I still can't believe that in Alaska of all places we only have four places to shoot within an hour of Anchorage, and that two of them cost as much as they do.
View Quote
Yeah it's frigging absurd! If anyone knows of a good shooting hole too I'm open to that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top