Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2021 12:49:59 PM EDT
Trying to plan a trip for our 10th wedding anniversary. Looking at just taking a long weekend and going somewhere in March.

Want to see somewhere new; live in Fairbanks.

Best I can come up with so far is Juneau. It’s crazy that flights to Juneau are within $50-100 per person of a flight to pretty much any major city in the lower 48.  For shits and giggles I looked what it would cost to replicate our original honey moon trip a decade ago and it was $150 cheaper to fly Boston to Dublin Ireland like we did back then.  

But the plus of Juneau over a lower 48 or Hawaii trip is you can be there by lunch instead of having a 12hr+ itinerary and basically spending 2 days of the 4 day getaway traveling.

The crappy part is it seems like much like Fairbanks Juneau is still very much winter in March. And a lot of the stuff like the tram and what not aren’t open yet. Also would be an added pain to bring snowshoes and or skis to do a lot of the hikes in the area.

So does anyone have any insight on some things to do in Juneau in March, or ideas of somewhere else to go?  Even Sitka and Ketchikan seem to have some pretty long itineraries to get there. The cheapest flight to Ketchikan had 4 stops.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
March can be cold and snowy here or clear. You just cant guess. You can use our snow shoes, three newer Atlas shoes, male female and child. Still quiet that time of year with no tourists yet, Great to hike to a cabin and stay for a few days. The lower trails will be clear or icy and the alpine will be loaded with snow.
Great time of year for a low key self guided getaway.

Or go south to somewhere nice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LESPAUL1:
March can be cold and snowy here or clear. You just cant guess. You can use our snow shoes, three newer Atlas shoes, male female and child. Still quiet that time of year with no tourists yet, Great to hike to a cabin and stay for a few days. The lower trails will be clear or icy and the alpine will be loaded with snow.
Great time of year for a low key self guided getaway.

Or go south to somewhere nice.
View Quote

Appreciate the insight and offer on the snowshoes and might take you up on it.

We are about 90% sure on Juneau just because of time/price.

Wife has made it very clear she doesn’t want any roughing it on this trip so cabins are out. She said wherever we stay has to have a hot tub.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Pearson's pond is a B&B that is in a nice location with hot tubs. It is a fairly nice place, I have done quite a bit of plumbing and heating work there for upgrades.

Grandma's featherbed also has hot tubs, but may be a step or two down. Still nice enough, I just know people who have stayed there and dont want to think about what happened.

Link Posted: 11/5/2021 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Pearson's pond is a B&B that is in a nice location with hot tubs. It is a fairly nice place, I have done quite a bit of plumbing and heating work there for upgrades.

Grandma's featherbed also has hot tubs, but may be a step or two down. Still nice enough, I just know people who have stayed there and dont want to think about what happened.

View Quote

If I’m looking at the right place looks like Pearson’s is $833/night. Way over my budget. Know anything about silverbow inn downtown?
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I didnt know they were that much I thought I saw like $250. Sorry for that.

If silverbow is on third st its nasty. That is bum central downtown.

I'll  ask around a bit. Feel free to ask if you find other things to look at.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desentis] [#6]
Juneau in March, how romantic!

Just kidding.  Any trip would be fun, I'm sure.

Though I did just see on Alaska Air round trips (direct) to Maui in the $350 range  (if you're in club 49).

In march on Wednesdays Non-stop to Maui from Anchorage is $273 pp.

Edit: What post number is this? I'm saving up for a good comment to use on for 666!
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By desentis:
Juneau in March, how romantic!

Just kidding.  Any trip would be fun, I'm sure.

Though I did just see on Alaska Air round trips (direct) to Maui in the $350 range  (if you're in club 49).

In march on Wednesdays Non-stop to Maui from Anchorage is $273 pp.

Edit: What post number is this? I'm saving up for a good comment to use on for 666!
View Quote

I’ll have to see if she’s a member of that. Quick search online showed the cheapest round trip to Maui being $875 and that was a 24hr itinerary. For $1100 it was an 11hr. But really not trying to spend $2200 on flights.

And even with the cheaper flight even 11hrs is a long time. I really like the idea of being to the destination by lunch.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 6:53:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desentis] [#9]
It is a 6 hour flight.  But it's a very good time of the day!

The one coming back (the following Wednesday is pretty good too).

The website says the requirements for club 49 is that you live in Alaska.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ll have the wife take a look at that. Might have to add a day or two. I think she’d much prefer Hawaii.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
I’ll have the wife take a look at that. Might have to add a day or two. I think she’d much prefer Hawaii.
View Quote

Oh fine. Be that way. I was so much looking forward to this, but nooo. Go some where warm and nice...

I would go to somewhere else also.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:24:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#12]

Oh fine. Be that way. I was so much looking forward to this, but nooo. Go some where warm and nice...

I would go to somewhere else also.
View Quote

Id still like to go to Juneau . But would prefer the summer.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Best of luck and Congratulations on 10 years!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top