Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2021 10:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KingRat]
Thought you guys might appreciate this. I lived in Anchorage from 1977-1981. Brings back a lot of memories. My mother worked downtown at Penney's.

http://www.cysewski.com/wia/70anchorage/index.html

EDIT - Just to clarify, not my pics. Just stumbled across the site myself. Sorry if unclear.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW!!! I have been here since 1970 and remember most of the places in the photos!!!!
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow... That is seriously good stuff.  Who takes pictures of the area they grew up in?  Not many...  

I remember many of those business names, but some I thought some were a figment of my imagination.  I still think anything south of Tudor road as new development (except for friends living on Swiss Place off 88th), and Rabbit Creek is halfway to Homer.

My family lived in the Anchorage area from 1962 to 1981, when we moved to Eagle River.  We were at the Government Hill area alot, don't remember why.  I spent many hours watching Mom and Dad at the curling club.

You are missing pics of the steam engine on the park strip, and pics of Rocket Park.  

My mom and dad worked at the downtown banks, which mostly vanished in the '87 bust.  Mom loved the coffee shop in Penney's in the late 60's, and I still remember it.  

Say what you want about Tony Knowles, and I'll say alot, but he cleaned out 4th avenue pretty well.  My dad was pretty familiar with this area before he got married.   His Norwegian Elkhound dog  named Skookum was the only dog allowed in the bars, according to him.  Pretty scuzzy to look at pics of it now, but 4th anvenue was a fact of life.  Those places had to be somewhere, and 4th was it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wwace] [#3]
I recall most of that, I probably knew some of those people although names escape me. I bought tile from Alaska Art Tile for many years. Plus I visited several of the other establishments pictured.

My neighbor owns Club Paris and has forever.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Elwood_Blues:
Wow... That is seriously good stuff.  Who takes pictures of the area they grew up in?  Not many...  

I remember many of those business names, but some I thought some were a figment of my imagination.  I still think anything south of Tudor road as new development (except for friends living on Swiss Place off 88th), and Rabbit Creek is halfway to Homer.

My family lived in the Anchorage area from 1962 to 1981, when we moved to Eagle River.  We were at the Government Hill area alot, don't remember why.  I spent many hours watching Mom and Dad at the curling club.

You are missing pics of the steam engine on the park strip, and pics of Rocket Park.  

My mom and dad worked at the downtown banks, which mostly vanished in the '87 bust.  Mom loved the coffee shop in Penney's in the late 60's, and I still remember it.  

Say what you want about Tony Knowles, and I'll say alot, but he cleaned out 4th avenue pretty well.  My dad was pretty familiar with this area before he got married.   His Norwegian Elkhound dog  named Skookum was the only dog allowed in the bars, according to him.  Pretty scuzzy to look at pics of it now, but 4th anvenue was a fact of life.  Those places had to be somewhere, and 4th was it.
View Quote
Tony Knowles is a liberal pos. 4th Ave is as bad as ever, Brother Francis shelter took up the slack when all the homeless and drunks got shuffled to the east end of 3rd ave.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:15:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wwace] [#5]
View Quote
dtt
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:20:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:25:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raven] [#7]
Yep. I was mostly sheltered in Turnagain-by-the-Sea at that time but I remember having to sit in the car while my mom visited the Monkey Bar downtown. My dad drove one of those 1970s Ford pickups.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 3:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Thanks. I think I killed my hotlink when I edited the OP.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember some of the places in the pictures.

Alaska and especially Rural Alaska has changed a lot since the 70's when my parents brought us up to visit grandma.

Wish we could go back to the late 70's and early 80's in Bush Alaska.
Could leave guns,keys and every thing else in boats/cars.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow.  Thanks for posting that.  Good memories...
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:46:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Great pictures from a different time. What a different place Anchorage is today. Pretty tame
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raven] [#12]

That building used to be the McKay Building because it was was owned by a guy named McKay. Who killed his wife. It was like the the Alaska version of OJ Simpson  Except with a hit man.

Anyway, when I was a kid my dad rented space in it for his office and one day took me up to the penthouse to visit McKay. McKay decorated his place with kites which was strange. I remember just seeing his kid for a second before he ran away.

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By raven:
https://www.cysewski.com/wia/70anchorage/images/anchorageedit044.jpg

That building used to be the McKay Building because it was was owned by a guy named McKay. Who killed his wife. It was like the the Alaska version of OJ Simpson  Except with a hit man.

Anyway, when I was a kid my dad rented space in it for his office and one day took me up to the penthouse to visit McKay. McKay decorated his place with kites which was strange. I remember just seeing his kid for a second before he ran away.

View Quote

It was a car bomb. My mother worked for her. I want to say she owned a travel agency. Her name was Muriel Pfeil.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I forgot about the Big Boy!

Born in 74 when Providence was still only one building.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top