Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2021 10:37:49 PM EDT
Any of y'all from there or know about it?  What can you tell me about it?  Looks like I'll be starting to work out there soon, homeported out of Ketchikan.  I may get a place there, since the difference in pay if I have a place there is about what an apartment would cost, assuming I can find someplace to rent (doesn't seem like there's a lot available right now), just in case I need it, but I'd probably still spend most of my weeks off back home in CA (the rest of the time I'll be at sea).

Anything cool to see or do outside of town on that island?  Any shooting ranges or FFLs?
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope you like rain.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you in the Coast Guard or something?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raven:
View Quote

Mariner.  Got laid off from my previous job out of San Pedro not too long ago, and then this opportunity popped up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:22:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raven] [#4]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

Mariner.  Got laid off from my previous job out of San Pedro not too long ago, and then this opportunity popped up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes, Ketchikan will be change from the LA area. I guess the ships will be carrying logs?

I'm sorry but I don't know much about Ketchikan other than it rains all the time. I've only passed through on the ferry or the airport.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, Ketchikan will be change from the LA area. I guess the ships will be carrying logs?

I'm sorry but I don't know much about Ketchikan other than it rains all the time. I've only passed through on the ferry or the airport.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Passengers and their cars.  AMHS, SE region.  I'd guess the ferry you were on is part of their fleet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LESPAUL1] [#6]
Good luck. The boats are laid up or broke from fall to summer. We need a schedule and something that wont cost $500 to run a car from Juneau to Haines. I hope you are on the Kennicott or another longer boat, or your time may be in dock waiting for parts. POW had no service for quite some time.

They said on the news today that the State is going to give a ferry away for free. Looking for the Philippines to take it. Better that paying $450,000 a year to moor it. Hell, bring it to the lovely Capital City and let the bums live on it. We can tow it out to Icy Straight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top