Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2020 3:52:25 PM EDT
Would like to buy a new canopy for my taco, and rims as well. What are some good shops to deal with in the South Central area? Also, what tires seem to do the best for icy roads?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Would like to buy a new canopy for my taco, and rims as well. What are some good shops to deal with in the South Central area? Also, what tires seem to do the best for icy roads?
View Quote
Studded Hakapilitta are the best highway tire.
But if you get off trail get studded firestone winterforce tires. They are a bit more aggressive and can dig.

Currently running two on dads 06 f250 with one hakapilitta.
The haka does not do well in deeper snow but is good on ice.
My 13 taco will get the Firestone winter force tires when the ipikes wear out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Alyeska Tire has always been great to me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have bfgoodrich t/a ko2s on my truck and falken wildpeak at3w on my suv and like both of them. Use them both year round.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
For winter tires, I like Blizzak for our three vehicles.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If you get studded tires, do some reading on aluminum vs steel studs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I put Haaks on my Subaru, F250, and Tacoma.  I doubt there  is a better tire out there.  I've stopped to assist at a couple accident sites where poor tire choices made the difference.

Tire shops?  Dunno.  As long as it is not "just terrific service," I never really cared.

Down here in the stinking desert, I just buy tires/rims off craigs list and run them to where the tires almost start to rust.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Tires: We bought some Hakapilitta (sp) studded for our Tundra when we first moved up here (Great ice/road tires!) .  They had a great sale on them at the time.  Local shop just said they had none in stock.  ANC said they had none in stock but did a stock check for us and said Soldotna had a set.  Neither store would have them sent to them for us.  We drove down to Soldotna and picked them up.  Soldotna didn't have those tires for my Tacoma but sold us a very nice more, aggressive, set of studded tires for it.  We packed them home and the local store installed all 8 tires  for us.  Typical Alaska CS on getting the tires, but Alyeska has provided excellent service to us since.

Canopies: I had some spray bedliner (the tailgate top) work done and reset the canopy by AKBedliners off KGBR.  They did good work and got right on the project for me as I waited (appointment made ahead of time).  They have posters that say they sell Lear Canopies.  I needed new struts for one of mine and they didn't have any, didn't offer to order me some.  I went to 6 Robblee's and they ordered me a set from Lear.  They also have posters that say they sell Lear.  They may both only order you a canopy, not carry any in stock; makes sense because of all the color/truck differences.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top