Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2020 7:14:16 AM EDT
last night about a half mile from my place

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the reasons why I don’t wear headphones when doing stuff outside.

Even so would have been hard to see or hear that one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Brown bear around the in-laws camp again.
Moose keep walking through and around it also.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've lived here for 30 years and I've never seen a bear. Except Zac, he would make a great bear
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've lived here for 30 years and I've never seen a bear. Except Zac, he would make a great bear
View Quote

Oh baby, Well there are plenty of bears down here. I'll send you one, Mexican or African, your choice. OOPS, brown or black, no racist, freedom of choice.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 12:45:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oh baby, Well there are plenty of bears down here. I'll send you one, Mexican or African, your choice. OOPS, brown or black, no racist, freedom of choice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please put down the Steel Reserve.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven’t seen a bear within 90 miles of Fairbanks.

And a samsquanch is totally different.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember seeing a photo taken by a family out on a hike, they sent the photos to get developed, and when it came back there was an effing mountain lion crouching behind them in the woods they never noticed until they got the photos back.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Bears are everywhere.  More so lately.  Last weekend, when wife and I were returning from a short hike, we watched a Black bear with 3 cubs roaming around.
 A few people were walking up the trail and we pointed them out, easy to see if you knew  where to look.  The reactions were interesting, ranging from disinterest to mild alarm
"looks like we won't be going up there today".

Although those 4 bears were several hundred yards away from us on the trail, their eventual path, and the trail converged in an open area.  

Not likely anybody was in danger, but surprising that not one of 5-6 people had noticed them!

A couple of days ago, on Ft. Richardson a chubby Black bear walked across the road as docile as a moose would!  40 MPH traffic, nobody seemed to give much notice.

I don't regularly travel on the base, so I wondered if bears are seen out and about there regularly.  Or most people didn't notice?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bears are everywhere.  More so lately.  Last weekend, when wife and I were returning from a short hike, we watched a Black bear with 3 cubs roaming around.
 A few people were walking up the trail and we pointed them out, easy to see if you knew  where to look.  The reactions were interesting, ranging from disinterest to mild alarm

Although those 4 bears were several hundred yards away from us on the trail, their eventual path, and the trail converged in an open area.  

Not likely anybody was in danger, but surprising that not one of 5-6 people had noticed them!

A couple of days ago, on Ft. Richardson a chubby Black bear walked across the road as docile as a moose would!  40 MPH traffic, nobody seemed to give much notice.

I don't regularly travel on the base, so I wondered if bears are seen out and about there regularly.  Or most people didn't notice?
View Quote

They are very common on Richardson. Always getting into peoples trash and what not.

I live in Fairbanks where near sightings are pretty rare. Was down at Richardson for a course and came back from lunch and there was a bear in the parking lot of the building I was going to. Told the instructors and they were like “yeah so, they are like squirrels here”
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are bears all over JBER, lots of them.

I lived on Richardson on Musk Ox Loop, my house backed up to the green belt between the Glenn and the fence line.  We constantly had to watch out for bears.  They liked to use the powerline cut to move around between the back training areas and the more inhabited parts of the post.  We kept our garbage cans in the garage and the doors had to be down unless you were right there.  I had several neighbors have bears get in the garage.

Davis Highway was the designated PT running area, it's closed to vehicle traffic from 0630 to 0745 every day.  There's road guards at the intersections to turn cars away.  During spring and summer they also issue them bear spray.

Along Davis Highway around the cemetery there was a female bear that was pretty well known, she was missing a leg and had been named Tripod.  She'd gotten tangled in some concertina wire and lost the leg as a result.  She was there for years and usually had cubs.  Didn't hear anything about her this year, might not be around anymore.

There was a good sized brown bear that hung out in the motor pool and warehouse areas this year (Circle Drive area).

A good portion of the Elmendorf side gets closed off when silvers run up six mile, lots of bears come in for that.

The woods between Grady Highway and the Glenn (near Bartlett High School/Tikahtnu) are full of bears.  There was a pair of male cinnamon black bears there two years ago that were always getting into people's yards in moose Crossing housing area.

Ship Creek flows through the whole post and is pretty much wooded the whole way.  There's always bears around it.  There's an old golf course on the Elmendorf side that's now bike and cross country ski trails that has several.

It didn't feel like the range went right if we didn't have to shut down for bears wandering in at least once.  The small arms ranges are all just east of the Glenn, north from the D Street Richardson gate to just across from the landfill.

Wife and I went down to Anchorage last weekend (we live in Palmer now) and saw three different mama bears with cubs inside the fence between the landfill and Muldoon exit on the way in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top