Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2020 6:02:26 PM EDT
Link to the matsugov.us page detailing this project

Looks like it's coming up for a vote, and folks are planning to assemble on the 31st to protest it.

Looks like it'll be a pain if it does come to pass...things like future ranges will have to be at least 1000' from existing structures on other parcels (so to me that looks like minimum 25 acres, at the least).  Decibel levels that would be allowed are nothing over 75dB, etc etc.

Anyway, I'm planning on being at the assembly meeting, looks like more than a few others will be also. Planning and notifications happening on farcebook right now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.facebook.com/NorthForkSupply/videos/463011664393727/
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Jan 31 protest at borough offices, I  will be there with 1 or 2 friends. Noon to 5pm
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:18:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jan 31 protest at borough offices, I  will be there with 1 or 2 friends. Noon to 5pm
View Quote
Yep, I'll be there too.

Planning on writing a letter next week and dropping it off at the permit office too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I will be there as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty good turnout, had some good speakers. I could only hang out for an hour and a half.  Actual meeting for the assembly to go over this, hear from concerned citizens, etc is Feb 18, I think. I'll be there too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:19:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, pretty good turn out; it was good to see as many people we did, given people’s otherwise apathetic approach in this area. Felt like people are starting to realize one side is playing for keeps, and it’s time to draw a line and stand our ground.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:23:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I was pretty impressed by the turnout, considering Alaska is full of individuals who just want to be left alone. I won't make it on the 18th unfortunately due to my schedule. Glad to be there today.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought they could have turned on a little heat for us.  Darn it was cold for me.

Lots of good people and good speakers.

Seemed like several good prizes.

The draft of the ordinance was pretty eye opening when you pick through the details.

Thanks to all for getting out the information and doing the meeting today.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Follow up, screen shots were sent to me (don't know who Nancy is), and it appears they listened:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
That document is from Sumner, who's going to present it at the assembly general meeting on the 18th. Whether or not they'll vote yes on it remains to be seen. Mayfield is from the Big Lake district, he sounds like a decent sort also. Lots of us are planning on being at the assembly meeting on the 18th to make public comment, and fill the seats.

It'll be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That document is from Sumner, who's going to present it at the assembly general meeting on the 18th. Whether or not they'll vote yes on it remains to be seen. Mayfield is from the Big Lake district, he sounds like a decent sort also. Lots of us are planning on being at the assembly meeting on the 18th to make public comment, and fill the seats.

It'll be interesting.
View Quote
Thanks for the follow up and additional info. What time is everybody planning on being there? I should be able to fill an additional seat that day.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Sure, no problem.

Sumner spoke at that first protest and said he was submitting that resolution in hopes of knocking this whole issue down ASAP. Knowing a bit about government...we'll see.

The entertaining thing is that they have a hard time finding folks to serve on that permit board. It would be hilarious if they passed the resolution...and the permit board was majority 2A folks, and we either nullified everything in sight, or alternately approved something like thundermug and black powder cannon testing facilities. Hey, it's not a range, it's a ....testing facility.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:17:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, the sonsabitches went ahead and sent it to the planning department, sounds like planning will have it for 90 days, and then it comes back to assembly for final vote, unless something else happens.

I particularly enjoyed Assemblyman Mayfield whacking the gavel and telling an audience member they didn't have the right to speak.  That was rich.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:14:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Frontiersman link about the meeting, left cold on purpose..

https://www.frontiersman.com/news/gun-range-ordinance-passes-mat-su-borough-assembly--/article_b38b0644-52f6-11ea-b216-7b941685f2ce.html?fbclid=IwAR3JG6wU3geTlkgv0nbR5ofXtnfmcJdJqmUWG3s5TM00zljLxfGOqT7O7eI
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought this was for commercial ranges not personal use. Thats what I was told by the borough multiple times.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:38:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I thought this was for commercial ranges not personal use. Thats what I was told by the borough multiple times.does not regulate the discharge of
View Quote
"does not regulate the discharge of firearms on private property where the property is not
open to the public on a commercial, education,
nonprofit, or membership basis."

But does regulate "real property used for
commercial, educational or non-profit shooting
activities, typically involving rifles, shotguns,
pistols, silhouettes, skeet, trap or black powder."

So it doesn't regulate nonprofit, but does regulate non-profit? (those quotes, by the way, are directly copied from the official document)

The borough doesn't even understand what the hell it says. Real property can be either privately held, or commercially held.  Doesn't even go into the sound levels, setbacks that are crazy, civil engineering requirements, etc etc. Not to mention this is borough wide - and this whole craptacular show started between two land owners around wasilla fishhook road. One that has a farm and was pissed off at shooters on a close by 40 acre plot.

Anyway, as has been said, it's a poorly written proposal. And of course, even with the majority of the attendees at the assembly meeting that spoke against it, it was passed on to the planning commision.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#18]
My copy has "Noise mitigation.
 ...(b)… noise abatement measures designed to prevent noise levels from exceeding 75 dB (a) on surrounding land uses."
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
 ...(b) noise abatement measures designed to prevent noise levels from exceeding 75 dB (a) on surrounding land uses."
View Quote
Yep, and I remember Troutman - the su farms guy - getting behind the podium and stating that he can hear grouse ridge shotgun club from 4 miles away, and it disturbed him.

BS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yep, and I remember Troutman - the su farms guy - getting behind the podium and stating that he can hear grouse ridge shotgun club from 4 miles away, and it disturbed him.

BS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 ...(b) noise abatement measures designed to prevent noise levels from exceeding 75 dB (a) on surrounding land uses."

BS.
Grouse Ridge Shotgun Club is closed and on the market. I’m nearby, and haven’t heard a shot from there in easily over a year, maybe two. It took me a minute to realize I wasn’t hearing it during normal hours anymore.

Hear other people shooting on their properties, but not from the club.

That guy is full of shit. Is he one of the fueding neighbors that got this started?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Grouse Ridge Shotgun Club is closed and on the market. I'm nearby, and haven't heard a shot from there in easily over a year, maybe two. It took me a minute to realize I wasn't hearing it during normal hours anymore.

Hear other people shooting on their properties, but not from the club.

That guy is full of shit. Is he one of the fueding neighbors that got this started?
View Quote
Exactly, he's one of them. Retired AST. What apparently was going on was one land owner with forty acres allowed buddies to target practice on his property, close to Little Susitna Farms. This apparently pissed off Mr. AST, he apparently complained to the land owner, who basically told him to fuck right off, as should be. Mr. AST, I have the feeling, might know some of the assembly members, and decided to go full retard along with the assembly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#22]
This poorly written BS, is just that!!!!  As long as a person is not doing anything that endangers others, back off!  From our place I an hear others shooting, the race track, air boats, snow machines in the winter time and ATV's in the winter.  It is the country and these are normal noises!
But the Assembly does not listen to us, normal people.  It might be time to pay attention the next election time!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:34:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This poorly written BS, is just that!!!!  As long as a person is not doing anything that endangers others, back off!  From our place I an hear others shooting, the race track, air boats, snow machines in the winter time and ATV's in the winter.  It is the country and these are normal noises!
But the Assembly does not listen to us, normal people.  It might be time to pay attention the next election time!!!!
View Quote
Not just next election time, get to the assembly meetings, the planning meetings, and make those phone calls, emails and letters. Let them know all the freaking time that we're tired of their crap and they need to start listening to us, not just some liberal freedom hating idiots that want more laws. You want more laws, get the hell out and go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I just read the MatSu had a public meeting scheduled for Nov. 17, 2020, about this.  Did anyone attend or know how things went?
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#25]
They had a live video feed going, but I could only take so much of it.

Went about how you'd expect

video starting point is the range blabber

http://matanuska.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=1&clip_id=215&meta_id=94816
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top