Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2017 2:19:06 AM EDT
I am originally from Nebraska but have been living in Anchorage for the last month and in May my family along with my girlfriend are visiting for the better part of May. None of them have been to Alaska and neither have I until I recently moved up here. I would like to show them something or take them on a day trip that is quintessential Alaska.

(Disclaimer, no fishing or hunting.)

What would Arfcom Alaska recommend?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out Hatcher's Pass and stop in for a coffee/lunch after a good hike.  The Indepence mine is worth a hike in and of itself if you are into industrial history.  The creek along the road should be raging during that time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out Hatcher's Pass and stop in for a coffee/lunch after a good hike.  The Indepence mine is worth a hike in and of itself if you are into industrial history.  The creek along the road should be raging during that time.
View Quote
This is a good idea for a day trip from Anc,  McCarthy is an overnight from Anc but worth the trip at least once.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Any sort of budget in mind?

Flightseeing tour should be memorable and cover a lot of ground (fly out of Willow/Talkeetna/Wasilla).  Can do glacier landings, Denali, etc.  Probably run you around $300/person.

Drive out past Chickaloon and go see the Matanuska Glacier up close and personal.  Depending on conditions/activity level of folks, climb Lion Head and get super views of the glacier and adjacent mountains (take some good binoculars/spotting scope and see the sheep on the mountains to the north).

Hatcher Pass is always good.  Depending when exactly you go, the mine still may not be open (nor the road up to it, but you can still hike to it...just may be some snow still).  Several trail systems within the area itself, things may be a bit muddy though with everything melting same with the Lion Head suggestion above, or any other outdoor activity really.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#5]
On a day trip? Ekluntna Lake is always beautiful and definitely has that "Alaska" look and feel to it
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:54:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate all the ideas.

Quick day explorations like the Sea Life Center and Hatcher Pass are added to the list of possible day trips.

I would love for everyone, six in total (four family members, girlfriend (soon to be fiancee *shhh don't tell anybody*) and myself) to go on a flightseeing tour but for six people it's just out of budget, from what I've seen.

I have passed along the idea of going on the Tundra Wilderness Bus Tour in Denali. Is this worth doing? I am a service member so entry into Denali would be free for myself, as well as those accompanying me in the vehicle, if I read the national park military pass correctly.
Bus Tours

The idea of a glacier hike/tour is also looking promising. I did a little research and found these two tour guide companies that will take us out onto the Matanuska Glacier.
Salmon Berry Tours
NOVA Alaska Tours

Please let me know if anyone has ever used these tour guides or other ones in the area, I am all ears.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:11:35 AM EDT
[#7]
If they are still up here for memorial day, there is a machine gun shoot in Anderson. First day (sat) is competition and second day is open shoot. Most people there will let you shoot their stuff if you bring ammo or buy theirs. Some odd stuff shows up there. The guns that is. Well, and some of the people too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Do one of the glacier tours out of either portage or Seward..not to mention the drive is beautiful...also right before portage is the wild animal zoo...hit it as well....you can also ride the ski lift to the top at Alyeska and eat at the restraunt...great views...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:47:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Come out to Wasilla. On KGB road just outside of town is the Iditarod HQ. Usually the Redington's have a dog team hithed to a wagon with seats. For $5 a head or so you can ride them around a quick loop. People seem to enjoy it. Museum there as well thats free.

Aviator
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top