Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2015 11:31:18 PM EDT
I have been searching the building codes and  permit process online. I cant find what I am looking for.  I understand if you are to build  a home within city limits , that a contractor and a building permit is required and all plans must be approved.

I have experienced in other states that outside of city limits, only the septic and electrical require permits and inspection.  Outside of those two items the home can be built by the owner without any permit or inspections.

My question is:  Can a home be built by the owner, without a contractor, outside of city limits, without all of the red tape?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be great..My last  home I built the electrical inspector was a great guy until he found out I was the one that did the work.  The only thing he could find wrong though was 3 electrical outlets only had a 5 inches of wire instead of the standard 6 inches.  He forced me to pull new wire to those 3 outlets.  

Do you know where I could reference this type of information?

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Within 30 miles of Wasilla is my first choice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are OUTSIDE of Wasilla, nobody is going to care what you build.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
State DEC will be needed for septic you are correct. Also the water well will be recorded with DEC. If you ever think you are going to sell the house you should
have some plans drawn up even something simple. And if you haven't ever built a home in alaska it isn't like building in the lower 48 , there are lots of uniquely alaskan
issues you will come up against . But what do I know I've only been a plumbing and heating guy here 23 years
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I havent ever built a home in alaska but I possibly plan on doing so.  What is different than the lower 48?  I will def listen to what you have to say.

Thanks to everyone else for your responses.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Differences?  Building on tundra and better be 5 star energy rated or your fuel bill will suck.  Radiant floor heating is a boon.  Need a plug in outlet (headbolt) for outdoor parked cars.  Need an Arctic entryway.  Need space for freezers to store all that meat and fish you take in the wild.  Bathroom warming by whatever means is nice, such as an IR lamp or heated fan.  Triple pane arctic windows.  Perhaps a pellet or wood stove to supplement your heating fuel usage.  If you want cable, have to build close to town, if you want dish tv then got to have a clear path above/through the trees and no mountain/hill blocking you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to get my driveway inspected is all, to make sure I fire truck would be able to get in. Thats all I had to do.

Aviator

ETA: Cabin building thread
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#11]
OP: "My question is: Can a home be built by the owner, without a contractor, outside of city limits, without all of the red tape? "

Answer : " YES"
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget insulating the entire run of the well with insulation both on top and bottom . Also have to factor in seismic issues, not making your house so tight as to not
get effective air changes and not to snuff out your furnance/wood stove/boiler. Also there are several insurance companies that will not insure your house if it is serviced by
volunteer FD only. That comes into an issue in the Valley, if You like in the city limits you are good to go . I know USAA will not insure your home on volunteer FD , (as of 2013 Sept when I built)
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing I forgot , If you put your wood stove in a separate room from your furnace/boiler you will need a separate combustion air source
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Differences?  Building on tundra and better be 5 star energy rated or your fuel bill will suck.  Radiant floor heating is a boon.  Need a plug in outlet (headbolt) for outdoor parked cars.  Need an Arctic entryway.  Need space for freezers to store all that meat and fish you take in the wild.  Bathroom warming by whatever means is nice, such as an IR lamp or heated fan.  Triple pane arctic windows.  Perhaps a pellet or wood stove to supplement your heating fuel usage.  If you want cable, have to build close to town, if you want dish tv then got to have a clear path above/through the trees and no mountain/hill blocking you.
View Quote

My current build....
I do understand the importance of 5 star energy rating. I believe I did well on current house
has radiant floor heat and a pellet stove.  In alaska I truly believe a wood stove will be my choice over the pellet stove.
I have outlets outside beside driveway especially for the tractor, trucks, and car
I dont have an arctic entryway though, could an attached garage serve as the same purpose?
I am very versed on the importance of freezer space, we currently raise most of our own meat and of course hunt
Bathroom warming, im not sure if that is necessary
I can agree on the the triple pane windows..Down here when we reach the -40 ish temps we do get frost on the inside of the double pane windows
As for T.V. it truly is overated..We currently only have netflix and hulu.  We hadnt  any t.v for the 3 years prior to that but since they ran fiber internet down the county road we decided it would be worth while.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One thing I forgot , If you put your wood stove in a separate room from your furnace/boiler you will need a separate combustion air source
View Quote

I believe I know what you are talking about but could you elaborate.  What exactly do you guys do for a combustion air source.  All of my current appliances, pellet stove, boiler, and hot water heater have their own piping going outside for the intake air.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't forget insulating the entire run of the well with insulation both on top and bottom . Also have to factor in seismic issues, not making your house so tight as to not
get effective air changes and not to snuff out your furnance/wood stove/boiler. Also there are several insurance companies that will not insure your house if it is serviced by
volunteer FD only. That comes into an issue in the Valley, if You like in the city limits you are good to go . I know USAA will not insure your home on volunteer FD , (as of 2013 Sept when I built)
View Quote

Insulating the well is new to me.  Whats the proper procedure for this?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had to get my driveway inspected is all, to make sure I fire truck would be able to get in. Thats all I had to do.

Aviator

View Quote

I have read through your adventure in the past.  Do you choose to live off grid or is there power available within a reasonable distance?  In montana I have experienced that driveways can be pricey, what is your experience with the price of building a suitable driveway?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys have helped me recognize possible issues I may run into in alaska.  This is all great information.  Please keep it coming.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have read through your adventure in the past.  Do you choose to live off grid or is there power available within a reasonable distance?  In montana I have experienced that driveways can be pricey, what is your experience with the price of building a suitable driveway?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator

Power is 2 miles form me. It was cheaper to go off grid. I might have anyway though. Driveway was cheap. Just a hunk of culvert and some crushed rock.

Aviator
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Power is 2 miles form me. It was cheaper to go off grid. I might have anyway though. Driveway was cheap. Just a hunk of culvert and some crushed rock.

Aviator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator

Aviator

How's that wind turbine working out for ya?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator

Aviator

It's not. I got it mostly just to get some hands on with them. It does something int he winter, but mostly decorative. I just swapped it out for a bigger model that someone gave me for pulling it down from a high tower at their place. new one might be better. its a 1.2k model.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#22]
we do what is required by code. We make a penetration to the outside , bring in cold air to a HRV unit and use warm recirculated air to warm the incoming air so you can actually get the combustion air warm enough
for boilers you also need a combustion source. Lots of slack jaws like to cover them up and don't realize how easy it is to create a back draft in your house when dryer/exhaust fan and furnace all fire and push the CO levels in
your house way high giving yourself acute does of CO that are below the detector level but long term health effects. Also cuts down the efficiency of your appliances causing them to soot up and burn dirty

Quoted:

I believe I know what you are talking about but could you elaborate.  What exactly do you guys do for a combustion air source.  All of my current appliances, pellet stove, boiler, and hot water heater have their own piping going outside for the intake air.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Pretty easy proper compaction , then blue board the entire length then proper layers of fill and compaction again.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top