Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 5:43:01 AM EDT
OK, I'm in the process of selling my house after excepting a strong bid today, which puts me out to about 45 days out before I depart this Great State...That's if everything happens as planned.  Anyway!! I'm planning to drive through Canada to Washington State and I would like to bring a shotgun with me during this trip.  With that said, I know that I will need to declare this firearm to Canadian Immigration/Customs officers at my arrival.

I'm hoping to have all the required forms filled out prior to my arrival to speed up the process and/or to prevent any possible problems at the time of my entry into Canada.  Does anybody know which Canadian form is the proper for a non-resident alien transiting through Canada with a firearm?

The shotgun is a Remington 870 5 shot pump with an 18" barrel and standard black plastic stock.

I also have a current U.S. passport since the days of driving through Canada with your State issued drivers license are now long over.

Also, I'm open to any other tips about driving through Canada that might make things easier on me during this trip.

The only reason why I'm leaving this Great State is that I'm now retired and I only have a limited time period for a paid move by my previous employer.  Plus, all my family members and kids are in Washington State.  I can honestly say that I have nothing but good memories of my 15 years here...  This place is truly God's country!!

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/index-eng.htm#f6
Can't bring more than 5k rounds of ammo unless you have a permit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, you can fill out the forms before you get to the border, but in the past, at least for me, they get redone at the border any way.  We travel with a Winchester pump shotgun and have never had an issue.  You will be required to have the ammo in a different location then the shotgun.  Unless things have changed in the last month, it will cost you $25 for the permit and it is good for 60 days.
Have a safe trip!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
from the link above, the one you're looking for is RCMP 5589 / CAFC 909.

Also you need to fill out three copies of it.  I don't think photocopies are acceptable, but am not sure of that
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
We just drove up, forms are PDF fillable, so we filled in the boxes on the computer and printed out 3 copies.  They are legal size (8.5" x 14") so either buy some legal size paper or print it from a business or something.  Also, DO NOT sign the documents, you have to sign the documents witnessed by the bp agent, so leave the signature line BLANK.  5,000 rds is the limit.  We had 3,823 and the agent apparently gave a funny look, but recorded the amount and continued.  Overall, it was a fairly straightforward experience.  Just be polite, answer questions accurately, and do not make "jokes" and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you!!

As for the 5,000 rounds of ammunition or less, is there any special way it needs to be packed??  I'm know that it has to be away from the firearm, but was wondering if it needs to be packed in factory packaging or plastic storage boxes??  I have about 2,000-2500 round of "loose" ammo that I would bring with me, so I want to make sure it packed properly to prevent any problems at the border.

Also, on the form, RCMP GRC 5589e, in block B-Firearms, line 8a, it asks for a Destination of firearms in Canada and its town and providence.  Since I'm not planning on stopping at any location for any longer than 12-15 hours, do I need to fill this out or leave it blank?

In block A-Personal Information, line 4a, since I'm not staying in Canada for more than 60 days, I put my Washington State address, which was pretty clear.

Again, THANKS!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll dig out my paperwork from the office tomorrow if you don't get an answer by then.

A lot of mine was loosely packed in ammo cans.  I don't recommend you bring any magazines with you.  They got a little excited over my M1 Garand clips that all my 30-06 was stored in inside ammo cans
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
This may seem silly, but needs mention:
The Canadians  require that  your  firearms be in completely UNLOADED condition during transport.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:13:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah...  I knew about that one and will comply since I'm only a guest while passing through Canada...  Just glad that they even allow a noncitizen to transit through their country with a firearm.

Beats trying to drive through Mexico!!  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you!!

As for the 5,000 rounds of ammunition or less, is there any special way it needs to be packed??  I'm know that it has to be away from the firearm, but was wondering if it needs to be packed in factory packaging or plastic storage boxes??  I have about 2,000-2500 round of "loose" ammo that I would bring with me, so I want to make sure it packed properly to prevent any problems at the border.

Also, on the form, RCMP GRC 5589e, in block B-Firearms, line 8a, it asks for a Destination of firearms in Canada and its town and providence.  Since I'm not planning on stopping at any location for any longer than 12-15 hours, do I need to fill this out or leave it blank?

In block A-Personal Information, line 4a, since I'm not staying in Canada for more than 60 days, I put my Washington State address, which was pretty clear.

Again, THANKS!!
View Quote

Leave 8a blank.  4a is your address.  Our ammo was in standard mil spec ammo cans with masking tape on top labeled with type/caliber/gr/bullet info and quantity count.  All the ammo was stored in a locked cheapo gun safe separately, all the guns had the bolts removed and cable locks through actions stored in locked hard sided rifle cases.  I would say that we were extremely cautious, because we had not only the 3 allotted rifles, but also a continuation sheet, lots of ammo, and a trailer full of household goods that we didn't want completely wrecked.  Our assumption that being overly detailed seemed to help us because the bp agent told the BF that he hadn't seen anyone come through the line so well prepared and informed in a long time.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Ammo must be locked in whatever container you store it in.

I just use ammo cans and put a padlock through the hole in the release lever and the side handle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#11]
OP,
They will also count each primer as a cartridge, so if your transporting any boxes of primers assume they are cartridges so that you don't go over your 5K max.

Until that day,
Darkop
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#13]
The permit is not hard to get from the Canadian explosives regulatory division.  

I have a signed one in hand for my upcoming PCS to Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#14]
UAF look at my posts in this thread.  Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.  I just PCSd from AK to CO in May.linky

Shoot me your email and I'll send you a copy of my form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top