Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2013 8:57:59 PM EDT
Got the official word today, I will be heading up in August. Planning to settle in the Fairbanks area if possible, at least initially. Price of land seems much better up there, plenty of trees and water (the high desert of Wyoming lacks both). I was up there two weeks ago and I really liked the feel of the area, definitely looking forward to living in the last frontier! Just gotta figure out how to get my guns and ammo up there now
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Fairbanks is  a niceplace to live and all, but TREES?
You gotta be kidding.
They have some scrawny birches, and some Spruce twigs.
Water is  usually pretty thick with iron, and other minerals, unless you chopped it out of a river.

Shouldn't be any big trick to moving your stuff: just buy a big well used chest freezer, fill it with toys,  band it down to a big wooden shipping pallet, and deliver it to  any one of the half dozen ship and barge companies in Tacoma.
Drive up the highway, claim your freight in Anchorage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Who are you working for?

If you are renting try to find a place before you come up.  In August you will be competing with all of the college kids

If you need help with things let me know

AST. I will be heading to Sitka in August for the academy for  4 1/2 months, then up to Fairbanks from there. Just in time to freeze my butt off I imagine. Thanks for the offer, have spoken with Megan Quan about real estate
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#4]
You can haul 5000 rounds of ammo up through canada. If you fly up before hand I would start flying up with your 50lbs limit on Alaska Airlines and get a small storage locker.

Pistols gotta ship to FFL's of course, sporting rifles and shotguns can go through Canada, ship AR's and such to yourself.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations on the job. Are you sure that AST is going to post you in Fairbanks when you're done with the Academy? Generally AST post their FTO's out of the valley. Might want to look into that before you buy a place in Fairbanks. You never know where AST is going to post you after your off FTO.

Another option is to get a conex or small shipping container and just ship everything at once claim it in Fairbanks and be done with it.

If you make it to Valdez to go fishing in the summer give me a pusher here and we'll meet up I'll buy you beer!

Until that day,
Darkop
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can haul 5000 rounds of ammo up through canada. If you fly up before hand I would start flying up with your 50lbs limit on Alaska Airlines and get a small storage locker.

Pistols gotta ship to FFL's of course, sporting rifles and shotguns can go through Canada, ship AR's and such to yourself.

Didn't realize I couldn't ship pistols to myself as well. I will probably fly all of them up with me. As for the rest I am not sure yet, I know the Mounties and AST have a special relationship, maybe I can talk them into letting me have a permit for transport. Ammo is going to be the biggest problem, maybe I can ship it up on a pallet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Congratulations on the job. Are you sure that AST is going to post you in Fairbanks when you're done with the Academy? Generally AST post their FTO's out of the valley. Might want to look into that before you buy a place in Fairbanks. You never know where AST is going to post you after your off FTO.

Another option is to get a conex or small shipping container and just ship everything at once claim it in Fairbanks and be done with it.

If you make it to Valdez to go fishing in the summer give me a pusher here and we'll meet up I'll buy you beer!

Until that day,
Darkop

Good ideas, I will check the price of a Conex. Thing is, the Troopers will pay to move my other stuff (not sure yet if they will pay for moving the guns and ammo). Unfortunately I do not have enough of those to fill up a Conex, but I will take that as a challenge! ;)

I will remember to shoot you a message if I get to Valdez
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until that day,
Darkop

They run a large number of FTOs through Fairbanks as well

As I understand it, the Fairbanks post is hurting for help. I was told to rank my preferences among the 3 posts and I ranked them as 1. Fairbanks, 2. Soldotna, 3 Palmer. I was told that since I wanted Fairbanks I would likely get it

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't realize I couldn't ship pistols to myself as well. I will probably fly all of them up with me. As for the rest I am not sure yet, I know the Mounties and AST have a special relationship, maybe I can talk them into letting me have a permit for transport. Ammo is going to be the biggest problem, maybe I can ship it up on a pallet.

Yep, pistols gotta go FFL. I have heard of some pistols being allowed under a special lock by the mounties but have never taken anything but long guns with me on my drives to and from. Flying them up would be easiest. Alaska Airlines is the best ever when it comes to guns and ammo. You can pay $50 for bags up to 100lbs. I moved a bunch of guns and ammo to Cali this way, 2 Pelican 1740 cases loaded to 95 lbs a peice.

You can ship ammo on a pallet through a freight forwarder out of Washington on the marine highway. Has to go by boat, can't go by truck through Canada.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 12:46:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, pistols gotta go FFL. I have heard of some pistols being allowed under a special lock by the mounties but have never taken anything but long guns with me on my drives to and from. Flying them up would be easiest. Alaska Airlines is the best ever when it comes to guns and ammo. You can pay $50 for bags up to 100lbs. I moved a bunch of guns and ammo to Cali this way, 2 Pelican 1740 cases loaded to 95 lbs a peice.

You can ship ammo on a pallet through a freight forwarder out of Washington on the marine highway. Has to go by boat, can't go by truck through Canada.

That is good info, thanks for posting. If Alaska Airlines would let me move my ammo for .50 per pound that is a no brainer, just wonder if it would be too many pounds overall? I will look into it. I could fly my pistols up easily enough, don't have that many of them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Limit is 50 lbs of ammo per person on Alaska Airlines.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]

How much ammo are we talking about?

If you are intrested in NFA join the AMGA.   Now with branches in both Faibanks and Anchorage/valley.

You should request to be posted in Bethel.   It's the bestest place ever.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]
^^ that right there is funny!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Bethel... Not even once....

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How much ammo are we talking about?
If you are intrested in NFA join the AMGA.   Now with branches in both Faibanks and Anchorage/valley.
You should request to be posted in Bethel.   It's the bestest place ever.  

That would break him in real fast.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You should request to be posted in Bethel. It's the bestest place ever.  

I'm truly lucky to have guys like you around to provide advice
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until that day,
Darkop

Good ideas, I will check the price of a Conex. Thing is, the Troopers will pay to move my other stuff (not sure yet if they will pay for moving the guns and ammo). Unfortunately I do not have enough of those to fill up a Conex, but I will take that as a challenge! ;)

I will remember to shoot you a message if I get to Valdez

Valdez is a quaint little fishing village with a drinking problem because there is nothing else to do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top