Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2011 9:16:51 AM EDT
I have been toying with the idea of running an RDS on a pistol. Any one here doing this?
Also, Any one own or shot an FNP Tactical .45 If so what is your opinion? I it a decocker gun or safety only.

Wind finally died here last night, so off to the RANGE!!

Until that day,
Darkop
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an FNP-45 (DA/SA, safety) - I don't really like it.  On paper it was great, I got a fantastic deal on it new back a few years ago, but it just isn't ergonomic (too large, ungainly for my hands).  The DA/SA in conjunction with the safety I thought would be optimal, but I don't like it.  Frankly, it's too complicated.  The trigger is ok, has long pull.  There are a considerable lack of accessories out there, and in conjunction with 45 ammo prices on Oahu, it now just gathers dust somewhere since I bought an M&P.

On the RDS side of things, I'm thinking of putting one on my M&P.  There are people out there who will mill out the slide to accept a Trijicon RMR / Leupold Deltapoint / whatever, but given the fact that the mounts are not currently standardized, you need to know what you will mount before having a slide shipped away to be milled.

Of course, if you buy an FNP-45 tactical model with the slide already cut, then you can just remove the plate and mount an RMR or whatever you want.  It comes with two mounting plates so you can avoid the whole "which optic do I buy?" because there are two styles.  

But yes, the FNP-45 tactical has a safety and decocker.  I think if I were to do it all over again, I would have gone with an M&P 45.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes...this is something that I have also been looking into and will have set up on at least two differant pistols of mine.  

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/advancedcombatglockslidemodificationsoncustomersslide.aspx

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an FS M&P 45 slide at Bowie Tactical right now. He is milling in a Leupold Delta Point RDS. I should have it back in 10-14 days. But with my luck, it will be too cold to shoot
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Due tell and post photos...why the leupold?
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have been looking into an RDS on a pistol for a few months, reading most everything I could find online. David Bowie seems to have the most experience in both running them personally and installing them on pistols. I called him up and he spent a bunch of time on the phone with me answering all my questions. He runs the DP on his duty guns, training guns, etc. He has found them to be the most durable, so I ordered one up and when it arrived I sent it out with my slide. I will post up pics when I get it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool please keep me informed.  Does he have a web site to visit?
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool please keep me informed.  Does he have a web site to visit?

Bowie Tactical Concepts
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have an FNP-45 (DA/SA, safety) - I don't really like it.  On paper it was great, I got a fantastic deal on it new back a few years ago, but it just isn't ergonomic (too large, ungainly for my hands).  The DA/SA in conjunction with the safety I thought would be optimal, but I don't like it.  Frankly, it's too complicated.  The trigger is ok, has long pull.  There are a considerable lack of accessories out there, and in conjunction with 45 ammo prices on Oahu, it now just gathers dust somewhere since I bought an M&P.

On the RDS side of things, I'm thinking of putting one on my M&P.  There are people out there who will mill out the slide to accept a Trijicon RMR / Leupold Deltapoint / whatever, but given the fact that the mounts are not currently standardized, you need to know what you will mount before having a slide shipped away to be milled.

Of course, if you buy an FNP-45 tactical model with the slide already cut, then you can just remove the plate and mount an RMR or whatever you want.  It comes with two mounting plates so you can avoid the whole "which optic do I buy?" because there are two styles.  

But yes, the FNP-45 tactical has a safety and decocker.  I think if I were to do it all over again, I would have gone with an M&P 45.  

Sounds like I need to shoot the FNP before buying. I just spoke with a respected friend and he said that the FNP "Felt Cheap" in his hand. But has not shot it. I carried an HK USP .45 for several years as a daily on patrol, so am wondering how different they feel from each other?

Thanks for the info.
Darkop
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been looking into an RDS on a pistol for a few months, reading most everything I could find online. David Bowie seems to have the most experience in both running them personally and installing them on pistols. I called him up and he spent a bunch of time on the phone with me answering all my questions. He runs the DP on his duty guns, training guns, etc. He has found them to be the most durable, so I ordered one up and when it arrived I sent it out with my slide. I will post up pics when I get it.

This sounds very interesting. Please do a write up when you have time. I hope you can get this work done with out "Bowie Tactical" enscribed down the side of the slide. Seemed a little much to me. Maybe some day on my way to FBKS i could stop in and see it?

Until that day,
Darkop
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have an FS M&P 45 slide at Bowie Tactical right now. He is milling in a Leupold Delta Point RDS. I should have it back in 10-14 days. But with my luck, it will be too cold to shoot

Can it be too cold to shoot?

I was out there the other day at 10 below and it was great as the place was empty.

ETA:  As to contribute to the thread.  I just saw eotech has a pistol RDS out now.  And I prefer the XDM45 over the guns being discussed so far.

Picture of Eotech RDS on a Sig from 2011 Shot show.  From Gunblast website link here.
http://www.gunblast.com/SHOT_2011_0.htm

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
talked to David Bowie today, he said it should ship tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been toying with the idea of running an RDS on a pistol. Any one here doing this?
Also, Any one own or shot an FNP Tactical .45 If so what is your opinion? I it a decocker gun or safety only.

Wind finally died here last night, so off to the RANGE!!

Until that day,
Darkop

I shot one about a month ago. I enjoyed it. But I have big hands. It was the most accurate handgun Ive ever shot. I was blowing holes out of the bullseye out to 15 yards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
talked to David Bowie today, he said it should ship tomorrow.

EXCELLENT! I'll be very interested in the final outcome.
One problem that I see right now is that when I run a pistol I never use the slide lock lever to drop the slide. I'm a reach over and grab the rear of the slide guy. I'm wondering how this will work with a large RDS on the rear of the slide? Supersix4 I would be interested in your opinion on this when you have run the new set up. It may just be a technique thing.

Until that day,
Darkop
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]
got it today

some early pics

I have taken it out in the cold ( 9*) and back in to see how fogging up would affect it.

it fogged up BUT the triangle was shinning brightly and with both eyes open it was VERY easy use as normal.

my first impressions are:
THIS THING IS AWESOME!!

I hope I can get some shooting in in the next few days but work and family is busy

I will post more as I get some time on it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#15]
darkop, he did not put his name or logo on my slide, just did a quality job in a timely manner.

oh and I have been running around my house in the dark 'playing' with the RDS, man this thing is the sh!t for a bump in the night scenario

I put a light on the M&P and even on the low power setting for the deltapoint I can still pick up the red dot. If I activate it with light to bump up the the
highest setting it is like the burning sun. very easily picked with little or no washout from the pistol mounted light. this thing is pretty freakin ninja.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
darkop, he did not put his name or logo on my slide, just did a quality job in a timely manner.

oh and I have been running around my house in the dark 'playing' with the RDS, man this thing is the sh!t for a bump in the night scenario

I put a light on the M&P and even on the low power setting for the deltapoint I can still pick up the red dot. If I activate it with light to bump up the the
highest setting it is like the burning sun. very easily picked with little or no washout from the pistol mounted light. this thing is pretty freakin ninja.

I like what I see!
Looks like it will fit in non modified holsters and still have back up irons! I will be interested to hear how battery life is in a cold environment like Delta. From the looks of it this would be the shit for shooting with a suppressor. Did they install taller sights to clear the "window" or are they stock?

Eagerly awaiting a range report.

Until that day,
Darkop
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#17]
it fit in my raven concealment holster as well as my comp tac holster, so I dont think holsters will be a problem. the suppressor sights were extra  but its the only way to have backup sights. somewhere I remember hearing about 1 year for battery life, that may have been from Bowie or reading on the internet. the instructions say it will go to sleep after 5 min of no movement but will come on in 1/10 of a second. it has two automatic settings, one for daylight and one for low light.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top