Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 8:41:33 PM EDT
I mean cigarette smoking.  Most of us are well versed in the other kind, I think.

Alrighty.  It's bad, it's detrimental to my health....and I love it.  I love the hit I feel in my chest when I inhale.  Not so much the rest of it...

So I ordered one of the E-cig kits.  

When it arrives in 1-2 weeks, I will put it to the test.  I'll post the results here.  And likely in a couple other places.  

I started smoking about 28 years ago.  At my peak, 3 packs a day.  Normal is around 2 packs a day.  Since I moved up here, around 1 pack a day.  Over the last year, I've dropped that down tyo 1/3 of a pack a day; if I'm paying attention.  If not, right back up to 1 pack.

Since smokes cost 70-80- bucks for 10 days, or so....I figured spending 96 bucks on a E-cig setup and extra parts/fluids...is a worthy bet.

If I win?  Thats 200 a month + that I bank.

Worth a shot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell yea it's worth a shot, that shit is nasty
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
More power to you Nasty habit and a good one to kick.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I offer to beat you up if you smoke, as payment for this service after 2 months of clean you can start giving me half the extra money you have a month. AND you will live longer too. great plan as i see it

seriously i smoked once wasnt really hooked and im glad my brother is 33 and he hacks up crap every morning, i dont like visiting cuz he wakes me up with hacking.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a BluCig.  It worked as advertised, until the POS charger broke.  Now it doesn't work at all.  Oh well, I quit cold turkey anyway.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I quit a couple years ago.  Been freaking awesome in some ways.  My wife likes the more nookie w/less wheezing, and I like being able to run short distances without feeling like I am going to die.

THe down side is that I now have my sense of smell back and it ain't all roses out there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Still smoke here. Let me know how the E-cig works. My wife was wanting to try it as well. I haven't heard to good of things yet, 2 co-workers that still smoke. My wife says she's talked to a few people at her work (bartender) and they said it didn't work for them either. I reckon if you really want to quit it might help. Hope it works for you.
Anyways good luck with it and keep us posted, because cigs are getting too fucking expensive these days.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I quit a couple years ago.  Been freaking awesome in some ways.  My wife likes the more nookie w/less wheezing, and I like being able to run short distances without feeling like I am going to die.

THe down side is that I now have my sense of smell back and it ain't all roses out there.

Im now wishing i skipped over that comment.

Could never get into cigeretts. Every once in a while (after a few beers/drinks) a pipe is really relaxing.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Im now wishing i skipped over that comment.

Could never get into cigeretts. Every once in a while (after a few beers/drinks) a pipe is really relaxing.

Incidentally, the amount of weight the wife and I have lost collectively is just shy of what you weigh so don't forget to factor in that as well when you picture us getting it on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, thats just wrong. But congrats on the weight loss and the quitting smoking.

As for the ecigg, good luck. I've used two at different times and failed both times. I don't know maybe if i used the higher level nicotine it would of been better? I only personally know one person that stuck with it longer than a month.

I have tried the ecigg, patch gum, smoke free pills, cold turkey and my current attempt is with chantix. Im off the pills, and am about 2 1/2 months off so far. I think the biggest help has been not drinking. So far my longest streak has been 361 days. Then i took a trip to Vegas, the day I landed I went to the store and picked up a pack and went right back to a pack pack and a half a day.
Anyway, good luck i hope you stick with it. I haven't noticed a $$ savings because right about the time i stopped smoking I picked up guns which so far  is allot more expensive then smoking..
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Man, thats just wrong. But congrats on the weight loss and the quitting smoking.

As for the ecigg, good luck. I've used two at different times and failed both times. I don't know maybe if i used the higher level nicotine it would of been better? I only personally know one person that stuck with it longer than a month.

I have tried the ecigg, patch gum, smoke free pills, cold turkey and my current attempt is with chantix. Im off the pills, and am about 2 1/2 months off so far. I think the biggest help has been not drinking. So far my longest streak has been 361 days. Then i took a trip to Vegas, the day I landed I went to the store and picked up a pack and went right back to a pack pack and a half a day.
Anyway, good luck i hope you stick with it. I haven't noticed a $$ savings because right about the time i stopped smoking I picked up guns which so far  is allot more expensive then smoking..

F'n Vegas! 20 months smoke free, then all it took was one trip. I didn't buy any, everything was "comped", the more I played, the more cigs they brought me. It's hard to say no to free shit (plus juggy cocktail waitresses are like drug pushers). I'm clean again, coming up on 4 months (used e-cigs + wellbutrin), but that'd be 4 years if it wasn't for "Sin City".

So as far as the e-cigs go, they do work if you're serious about quitting. Just like with the patch, pills, hypnosis, or going cold turkey...you have to want to quit. It might take serveral attempts or even a combination of things, but it's doable. Just don't stop trying to quit and eventually you will. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Welps.  Package showed up a few minutes ago here at work.

Nice of them to ship with fully charged batteries.  When I ordered fluid to go with, I ordered the full strength to begin with (26mg nicotine) with the other 3 bottles at 18mg.  Two different chargers provided.  One USB based, the other plugs into the wall.  The USB on is a 'to-go' type setup with a slot for the battery, another for the atomizer and two slots for cartridges.

Will take some practise, the hit is definitely there.  Don't take a 'drag' fast.  The drag needs to be slow and steady to get the hit.  Am using the manual version where you push and hold a button to activate it; some of the auto ones have a 'timer' involved and
I didn't want to mess with that.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck in your endeavor I hope you have success, I have not as of yet, I did quit for almost 4 years and one day I sparked one up and the rest was all down hill from there, go ahead guys smack me up side the head I deserve it
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good luck in your endeavor I hope you have success, I have not as of yet, I did quit for almost 4 years and one day I sparked one up and the rest was all down hill from there, go ahead guys smack me up side the head I deserve it

I did the same thing, and after another 8 years of smoking was able to quit again.  Pretty much cold turkey.  Used patches for a few days then forgot the patch and just went on quitting.  

I did find that The programs and plans are developed by people who want to sell you products and as such are not effective means to quit.  The quit date and the other crap that goes along with it are pure BS and psyche you out,

Just quit.  Surprise yourself.  Don't keep track of days as it constantly reminds you of smoking.  Also, the best relief was taking a deep breath.  I kid you not, it worked better than any replacement or candy or nicotine fix.  I purposely did not use any oral replacements either.  Been quit 2.5 years or so I think.  Been a while anyhow.  Tried one while in Vegas while drunk as hell and I couldn't do it.  It was gross.

Think of all the NFA goodies you could afford with the extra cash...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did the same thing, and after another 8 years of smoking was able to quit again.  Pretty much cold turkey.  Used patches for a few days then forgot the patch and just went on quitting.  

I did find that The programs and plans are developed by people who want to sell you products and as such are not effective means to quit.  The quit date and the other crap that goes along with it are pure BS and psyche you out,

Just quit.  Surprise yourself.  Don't keep track of days as it constantly reminds you of smoking.  Also, the best relief was taking a deep breath.  I kid you not, it worked better than any replacement or candy or nicotine fix.  I purposely did not use any oral replacements either.  Been quit 2.5 years or so I think.  Been a while anyhow.  Tried one while in Vegas while drunk as hell and I couldn't do it.  It was gross.

Think of all the NFA goodies you could afford with the extra cash...

This

It is what prevents me from blowing money on stupid shit i probably don't need. I think of all the money my old high school friends used to blow on stupid shit like cigarettes and weed and they could have bought some pretty nice shit. Some of them have already realized that, some haven't. I have just moved on from spending it on cars to spending it on guns.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#16]
((chuckles))

Welps...comparison time after 4 hours (will do this again in a couple days)

Still getting a feel for getting the best hit on the e-cig.

As it stands...the hit is about 45-60% versus an actual cig.  I've been told that this improves as the atomizers 'wear-in'...we'll see.

+side on the e-cig...can actually taste the semi-sweet fresh tobacco taste versus the regular cig.  Regular still feels more 'satisfying' than the e-cig, overall.  

I've had about a quarter of a reg cig...as I type this (it's now out) which is unheard of for me since I online game...usually chain-smoke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top