Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2010 1:02:43 PM EDT
Okay I posted this in outdoors section and was recommend to post it in here.

So next year I'll be headed up to Alaska to visit my uncle. He lives in bear country and I have a question on what to bring/buy for defense.

The two heaviest hitting guns in my armory are my  .300 win mag and my mossy 12g.(I've heard
Brenneke 3" Black Magic were the way to go.)

By the time I head up there I should have enough saved up to buy either a marlin 45-70 ( That my uncles keeps trying to talk me into)
or a .44mag wheel gun.

My question for the hive is would you take, One of the long guns I have and buy a .44mag or buy the 45-70?

I'm a poor college student so there's no buy both option.
Also the only other pistol I have is a xd9.

EDIT for clarification I'm talking about a 45/70 lever gun and a .44 mag revolver
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, we don't allow Kalifornians in our state. Please make alternate plans to visit your uncle in another state. That is all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sorry, we don't allow Kalifornians in our state. Please make alternate plans to visit your uncle in another state. That is all.

Your a funny guy timinem. Thanks for an informative post. I'm glad you shared you knowledge on this forum.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
He's not a Kalifornian..a Kalifornian would not have guns.  He appears to be a gun owner who happens to hail from CA.

Bring the 12.  Save the funds for other needs.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He's not a Kalifornian..a Kalifornian would not have guns.  He appears to be a gun owner who happens to hail from CA.

Thanks for the advice. I'm probably end up taking the 12g with loaded with black magics or another heavy slug.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Although how were you coming up?  If coming through Canada, you will need to make alternative transportation plans for your shotty

I'll most likely be flying. I was also planning to bring my XD9 any regulations for pistols other then normal flying regulations?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Although how were you coming up?  If coming through Canada, you will need to make alternative transportation plans for your shotty

I'll most likely be flying. I was also planning to bring my XD9 any regulations for pistols other then normal flying regulations?

As long as you can legally purchase a pistol from an FFL you can carry it concealed
Be careful taking into places that serve booze, the difference between being legal and illegal all boils down to what type of liquor license they posses
Stay out of the normal bad juju places

Sounds good, Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm gonna go with this. Its not like he couldn't move to another state beforehand.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna go with this. Its not like he couldn't move to another state beforehand.

I was born in CA and I'm a 22 year old college student. Its not like I really have a choice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
The honest truth is that anywhere you go here, you're in bear country.  Any one of the firearms you mentioned would be better than nothing, which is what over 90% go out into the woods with.  99.999% of those have no problem with their choice.

I personally favor a 12 gauge.

p.s. if you're in the Denali area and you want to go shoot, send an IM.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The honest truth is that anywhere you go here, you're in bear country.  Any one of the firearms you mentioned would be better than nothing, which is what over 90% go out into the woods with.  99.999% of those have no problem with their choice.

I personally favor a 12 gauge.

p.s. if you're in the Denali area and you want to go shoot, send an IM.

Wow. I would of thought more people would of armed them selves.

12g seems like the way to go. That's good for me. looks like I won't be eating just top ramen noodles and rice this term haha

Ill talk to my uncle if were in the Denali area I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#13]
the gun is more than likely make you feel better than anything else.  bears if they know you are there will move.  I have had them coming down a trail towards me and walk off of it as just before we meet up judging freshness of footprints etc.  and when you start leaving their area they will sometimes let you know they are there by woofing at you just to let you know.

everywhere is bear country up here though, I think that anchorage has more unintentional bear human encounters than anywhere else in the state.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ding.
Winna winna chickin dinna.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

As long as you can legally purchase a pistol from an FFL you can carry it concealed
Be careful taking into places that serve booze, the difference between being legal and illegal all boils down to what type of liquor license they posses
Stay out of the normal bad juju places

That is for anyone?
I thought it was only residents.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was born in CA and I'm a 22 year old college student. Its not like I really have a choice.

I moved away from NJ and went to a out of state college when i was 20.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey NJ was a different place and a different time.  Whats born in Cali stays in Cali... at least until after college.  So you see it would do no good for me to point out that I moved from home where my parents were stationed in Germany across the world to Fairbanks for college at 18.

Xerosasencros - if you want to get out of cali and finish school elsewhere WUE - Western Undergraduate Exchange Program.  There is also a Graduate level exchange program as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where in NJ?

i moved out of Jersey when i was 18 for college and now im a gun dealer

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:17:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in NJ?

i moved out of Jersey when i was 18 for college and now im a gun dealer

I grew up across from Philly and north of Camden.  Burlington County.  Left to go to school in Missouri around 1996.  I haven't been back for more than a week since.  

I'm not a dealer, but I have 11 stamps.  That never would have happened if i stayed in NJ.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#20]

you are all a bunch of foreign invaders..

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#21]
OH NO!  Not The Emu too........

You might want to ask your uncle how 'bear-y' the bear country is where you're going.  Generally I'd suggest the 12G but if you're going to be fishing or doing other activities where you need both hands you might want something easier to carry than a long gun.  If there are other people in your group with guns I'd decrease the power factor in order to have an easier carry/access option.

If the bear threat is lower and the rest of your group is armed with heavier stuff I'd even be okay carrying the 9mm.

Good luck with the trip.

ETA:  My bear/self defense/plinking gun for the weekend is a F/A short barrel 308 so maybe I'm full of it.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]
HK 51?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#23]
You won't need any protection, contrary to popular belief brown bears are actually quite friendly. Most people get scared and freak out, but if you don't panic you can walk right up and pet them. They really like it when you scratch behind their ears. Having lots of raw meat in your pants pockets is a good idea as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You won't need any protection, contrary to popular belief brown bears are actually quite friendly. Most people get scared and freak out, but if you don't panic you can walk right up and pet them. They really like it when you scratch behind their ears. Having lots of raw meat in your pants pockets is a good idea as well.

Ahh, the tried and true Treadwell method.

So what determines what a good bear gun and not as far as handguns? I know  lot of people who carry 10mm and others who say it won't do shit. I have been rethinking my carry gun for fishing. After seeing what 7.62 tokarev will do to to body armor, and what the 9mm and .45 won't, i would much rather take that. I haven't seen anything done with 10mm yet.

It's nothing scientific but acquired a ballistic helmet somewhere, so of course i took it to the range. .45 and 9mm bounced right off while the tokarev went at least halfway in or more.

Now, 35rds of it would be even better.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Yep.  Vector 51.  

Mmmmmmm, 10mm.  My favorite.  In a Glock 20 it's 15 rounds of 10mm goodness.

Dang Viper!  I missed the helmet day at the range.  Got any pics?  Is the pic of the 7.62x25 HK your gun?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Gonna have to find out what the wife's Uppa used on a big browny that ended up right next to his house in the village.

Mom's been left many times up at fishcamp without a gun to protect herself.
She just goes by what her mom taught her.
But when the kids are up there somebody always has a gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
the gun is more than likely make you feel better than anything else.  bears if they know you are there will move.  I have had them coming down a trail towards me and walk off of it as just before we meet up judging freshness of footprints etc.  and when you start leaving their area they will sometimes let you know they are there by woofing at you just to let you know.

everywhere is bear country up here though, I think that anchorage has more unintentional bear human encounters than anywhere else in the state.

Bears are wild animals that are un predictable. Most may not be aggressive or charge you however some will. When they do the firearm does more than just make you feel good.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#28]
^
|
|
|
Knows WTF he is talking about.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

The 12ga. has my vote also....if you already had the 45-70 that would be my first choice.  This being said.....bring the gun you shoot the most and are the most comfortable with. Bring the gun you are the most accurate with. Doesnt matter what you are shooting if you cant hit the target

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Had a lever action 450 marlin.
Sold it.
Now have a 4" 629.
If you want a long gun, carry a shotgun or carry a hunting rifle.  Guide guns are just that, back up for guides.  If you don't plan on being a guide, don't get a guide gun.  And FWIW, I don't know of any guides who carry guide guns.
And bear spray should be your first line of defense.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bears are wild animals that are un predictable. Most may not be aggressive or charge you however some will. When they do the firearm does more than just make you feel good.
Pat

right.  i didn't say they weren't wild or predictable and of course getting charged it does more than just make you feel good.  it was more a comment on how everyone that comes up to visit that is going to be in the woods is going to have a man eating bear charging them from behind every tree and don't realize that they have just as much a chance of getting mauled in Anchorage as anywhere else in the state
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Had a lever action 450 marlin.
Sold it.
Now have a 4" 629.
If you want a long gun, carry a shotgun or carry a hunting rifle.  Guide guns are just that, back up for guides.  If you don't plan on being a guide, don't get a guide gun.  And FWIW, I don't know of any guides who carry guide guns.
And bear spray should be your first line of defense.

Yep, so when the grizzly eats you and shits you out, you can warn other people by smelling like pepper spray.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#33]
2 pages and nobody has mentioned polishing up the end of your barrel and oiling it real nice cause the bears gonna stick the gun up your ass
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#34]
You don't come here for the hunting do you?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You don't come here for the hunting do you?

I see what you did there

Love that joke!

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat

right.  i didn't say they weren't wild or predictable and of course getting charged it does more than just make you feel good.  it was more a comment on how everyone that comes up to visit that is going to be in the woods is going to have a man eating bear charging them from behind every tree and don't realize that they have just as much a chance of getting mauled in Anchorage as anywhere else in the state

You will be safer by being cautious in the woods than frolicking around like the bears are cuddly and your friends.
pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top