Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2010 12:20:12 AM EDT
From Pat Messmer:

I will be hosting a three gun match on 9-11-10 in Seward Alaska. Entry fee
will be $25.
This is a fun match no prizes other than some sportsman's warehouse gift
cards for $10 and whats left of the Remington hats.

Rules will be USPSA with one twist. I am adding an outlaw division. This
division will allow competators to load their shotguns to full capacity it
will also allow shooters who wish to use high cap pistol mags like Glock 33
round mags for the Glock 18. All the other divisons are standard USPSA.

One note, USPSA recently changed the rules to allow 1x optics in limited. So

if you are running a Eotech or an Aimpoint or other red dot you don't need
to compete against the magnified optic guys.

I am estimating the round count to be 75 shot 15 slugs
150 rifle and 150 handgun. But I have not designed the stages yet. This
number may go down.

I am planning on 5 multi gun stages with a precision rifle side match. The
precision rifle side match will be scored using a par time.

To Mark, Craig, Tony, Scott and Gabe sorry about the trophies not being in
yet. they should be in very soon I promise I have not forgot about you guys.
Any questions call me at 907-360-5481

Match will start at 0900 with sign up and stage set up. Bring your own lunch

this time. I anticipate the match going until about 5 pm.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Guys are still grinning (and nursing bruised egos) after the last match Patty set up.  This oughts to be good.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
hummmm i shall see....
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
hummmm i shall see....

Might need to order some cheap 5.45
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#4]
nahh, ill just use my "used 5.45" slingshot... (actually would be a funny stage involving a slingshot / speed shooting stuff at 50 yards...)

what is your expectations/ requirements for ammo? (what size shot?) what is minimum/max caliber, requirements of pistols mags, shotguns, ect ect. where can i get a set of rules for 3 gun?

what would I need for a presision rifle match? ammo, caliber, scope, ect ect

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Anybody want to catch a ride down and back the wife and I will be ldeparting Anchorage about 730( 1930) pm  friday spending night in a hotel(you make your own arrangements), back about an hour after the match has finished on sat night. I drive a subaru so room for gear is pretty good. splitting the gas ought to make round trip a total of 25 bucks if you want to go. IM if interested. HYGENICALY CHALLENGED NEED NOT INQUIRE!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Anybody want to catch a ride down and back the wife and I will be ldeparting Anchorage about 730( 1930) pm  friday spending night in a hotel(you make your own arrangements), back about an hour after the match has finished on sat night. I drive a subaru so room for gear is pretty good. splitting the gas ought to make round trip a total of 25 bucks if you want to go. IM if interested. HYGENICALY CHALLENGED NEED NOT INQUIRE!!!

What? Split gas AND bathe? nvm then

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

friday spending night in a hotel(you make your own arrangements)

What, you don't wanna make "new friends"
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a nudist, I'll carpool with you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Now if the CAV arms girls were needing a ride.... bought my first lower from them based strictly on the idea that "if you buy it, they will shoot with you", sadly i instead got a group of arfcommers to go shooting with... talk about BAIT AND SWITCH...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Now if the CAV arms girls were needing a ride.... bought my first lower from them based strictly on the idea that "if you buy it, they will shoot with you", sadly i instead got a group of arfcommers to go shooting with... talk about BAIT AND SWITCH...

Some pretty hot wives though

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear that there is now a Tac Sol LW .22 upper up for grabs as a raffle item.  

ETA:
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot his match in the spring and it was a blast. Well worth the trip from Fairbanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the comments guys. Here is the registration information and rules.
Three Gun Registration Form.

Name :

Email:

Division.                                 Power Factor
                                           Pistol                   Rifle
Limited
                                 Major   Minor        Major Minor
Tactical

Open        

Outlaw

Safety Rules.

We will be running a Cold Range.
Negligent discharge is a match Disqualification.
Finger on trigger is a warning. If the offense is repeated more than 3 times it’s a match DQ.
Dropping the gun on a course of fire is a match DQ if it’s the fault of the shooter. If the gun falls because of an equipment failure its at the discretion of the Match Director.
Breaking the 180 rule is a match DQ. (pointing up range)

Equipment rules.

The rules are as follows for equipment.
Also if one of your guns meets a higher division then you are in that division for everything. For example if you have an open shotgun (me) but every thing else fits into tactical you are still open.

Pistols.
1. limited. no optics or compensators and mags only 140 mm long for double stack and 170 mm long for single stack.

2. Tactical (same as above)

3. Open compensators and optics allowed and 170 mm mags for double stack.

Shotguns.

1. Limited. no optics or compensators and no more than 9 rounds loaded into the gun at the buzzer. (gun can hold more but you must down load) no detachable mags or speed loaders.

2. Tactical  same as limited

3. Open optics, compensators, speedloaders and detachable mags allowed. Gun is allowed to be loaded with 11 rounds at the buzzer.

Rifle.

1. Limited No magnified optics allowed just irons and red dot sights. no bi pods and no compensators over 2.5 inches long.

2. Tactical Same as above except you are allowed 1 magnified optic only. This is the division for guys with variable powered scopes and ACOGS.

3. Open you are allowed more than one optc. SOme guys run a scope and a red dot on the same rifle. Bi pods are allowed and huge compensators.

Outlaw Divison.

Shotguns are allowed to be loaded to max capacity no restrictions.
Rifles may be full auto if legally owned.
Pistols may have magazines greater than 170 mm length. (Glock 33 round mag)

Power Factor.

For limited and tactical a pistol must be at least 40SW to make major. In open and outlaw you need to have a power factor of 165 (if you don’t know ask me)
9mm is minor in Limited and Tactical

For rifles
Most are all minor except for .308 and bigger. So if you are shooting a .223/5.56 or a 7.62x39 or a 6.8 SPC you are shooting minor.

For the precision rifle anything is legal. The course will have a par time of 5 min. You will have to shoot your way to your rifle with your pistol then engage 10 targets from 25 to 180 yards. (small range) The 10 ring will be half an inch. This side match is not scored like the regular USPSA style three gun match. Its all points unless you go over the par time.

Prizes will include a Tactical Solutions 22 lr upper donated by Black Dog gun shop in Soldatna. (thanks again Mike) I will be putting a Primary Arms micro dot on the table as well as a P mag with a 18 round extension. There will also be a FSC 556 muzzle brake donated by Todd on the table. (not sure if he wants me to list his last name) .

There will also be some $10 off gift cards on the table from Sportsmans warehouse left over from my last match. All prizes awarded by drawing only.

Winnners of this match get bragging rights. My early summer match is the one with more goodies and its a Trophy match for the winners. This one is more for fun and it only costs $25 to enter.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Just one update. Their will be 4 stages instead of 5 to keep us on time getting done by around 3pm or so. (hopefully) But they willbe fun stages. I was loaned a texas star so you will see that prop used in at least 2 of the stages. Most of the stages will have all three guns used. One of the stages is a rifle pistol only stage.

Tips for the match.
Be able to hit a steel popper at 50 yards with your pistol.
Be able to hit at 50 yards with your shotgun with slugs. (paper targets)
Know where your rifle hits. from 0 to 50 yards. (using reduced targets to simulate range)
Pat
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#15]
sounds like fun...wish I didn't have school this weekend

Hopefully next time
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#16]
are spectators allowed? I haven't shot in a 3 gun and would like to check it out, for future participation
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Sure we could use the help taping targets and setting up stages if you are willing.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Since the drawing is random, can I enter and then no show to try to win the prizes?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
You have to show up to win because you can only pay for this match at the gate. All shooters get a ticket to win.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Had another guy in looking to go there this weekend.   It is gonna be fun with the newbs and the gamers all mixing it up out there.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll probably be at the next one, if nothing else but to spectate and help out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#22]
there should be directions to the range on here... for people who haven't shot in Seward before and managed to lose their email prior to printing it out...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Goto Seward.  Goto Seward Landfill.  

Well it is not quite simple.  The Seward Dump is tucked back a bit.  Address for the dump is:

3200 Dimond Blvd.Seward, AK 99664

Google that and then when you get there the gate for the range is directly to the left of the gate to the transfer station.  

When you get into town you want to take a right on either hemlock or sea lion, then when you get to Dimond, take a right, and follow it to the end.  The Road will turn to dirt and go over a creek and suck and keep going for a bit further then you will get to the waste transfer station.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok sorry I have not checked the thread for a bit.

Once you past the city limits sight take the first right turn you see (Hemlock) take it until the T intersection with Diamond. Turn right (north) on Diamond. Follow the road and stay to the right when it Y's. If you go to the left you will be on Ash. So stay to the right. The road will become gravel. Stay on it until it comes to the dump take the gate on the left that says Iron Mountain Shooting range.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Well?

What were the results?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a blast pat thanks for putting it on, I'm sure there are more people that are responsible but I don't know them so I can only tell you thanks!!! I learned alot too, and hope to get more practice in before the next match so I can be moderately competitive.

In other news, I got to ride with one of the cav arms girls on the way there AND back!!! oh wait , wife says she never modeled for them. So since viper wont hook me up with an LPK without proof of my attendance and my winning the grand prize of a Tactical Solutions light weight upper and black dog magazine I have to post photos(just don't tell him that I won the grand prize via raffle ). Photos. of some of the festivities, and a reminder to recharge your camera BEFORE you go to this sort of"photos would be nice" event.

backdrop of one of the 4 ranges used, I was a bit worried about my steel core 5.45 penetrating that much rock and dirt but turned out we were OK.

Texas star, 2 steel poppers on either side (only shot of some sort),and see those 2 with the hostage WAY back in the back behind the bowling pins, those(pins and hostage takers) all require slugs, so the pins are easy, nice close no wind-age/drop, the slug target with just a bead sight... lets just say that there were several white cardboard widows somewhere.

"airliner" this is before completion of the setup, the 4 in the way back must be engaged right shoulder for the 2 on the right, left shoulder 2 on the left, BUT around a barricade. I'm glad I had my Aimpoint no other way I could have made that angle shot with irons.

And finally what I won at the competition, a Tactical Solutions AR15 22 conversion Light weight upper(note nowhere in there did I claim that I won this through skill or ability, you just assumed that I did... it was actually a raffle, in case you missed the first time I said that), Black dog gun shop out of soldotna donated that to the competition. I need to swing by now and pick up extra mags...

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Still waiting on the scores to be computed. They should be done by tomorrow. A friend of mine wife is getting them done. I apologize for the delay but her computer battery died during the shoot. So she had to take the score sheets home.
There was a good turn out with more shooters than I expected. close to 30 or so. We planned on 4 stages but only got 3 in.  I learned some more things not to do in this match as far as setting up stages go and I promise to make the next shoot better. I hope everyone had a good time. Thanks all for coming. I will post the results here when I get them.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Match Date: 9/11/2010
Combined divisions - These are NOT official results.

Place Name              USPSA  Class Division     PF Lady Mil Law For Age         Points   Stg %
  1 M, Kelly                U   Tactical    Major N   N   N   N              730.5253 100.00%
  2 F, Bill               U   Tactical    Minor N   N   N   N              702.1431  96.11%
  3 R, Ken                   U   Open        Minor N   N   N   N              664.0273  90.90%
  4 A, Dale               U   Open        Major N   N   N   N              634.3373  86.83%
  5 Mr, Pat                 U   Open        Major N   N   N   N              623.9485  85.41%
  6 M, Jim              U   Open        Major N   N   N   N              541.9921  74.19%
  7 B, Tim                  U   Limited     Major N   N   N   N              534.0404  73.10%
  8 C, Scott                    U   Tactical    Major N   N   N   N              527.1855  72.17%
  9 Cl, Daniel           U   Tactical    Major N   N   N   N              507.2334  69.43%
 10 C, Mark                  U   Open        Major N   N   N   N              484.5081  66.32%
 11 M, Charlie             U   Open        Major N   N   N   N              483.4081  66.17%
 12 E, Clif                U   Limited     Major N   N   N   N              461.7771  63.21%
 13 R, Larry               U   Tactical    Major N   N   N   N              457.3223  62.60%
 14 C, Shane              U   Limited     Major N   N   N   N              423.6583  57.99%
 15 B, Todd              U   Tactical    Major N   N   N   N              380.1503  52.04%
 16 F, Al                 U   Limited     Minor N   N   N   N              353.6268  48.41%
 17 R, James              U   Tactical    Major N   N   N   N              323.9761  44.35%
 18 M, Damion            U   Tactical    Major N   N   N   N              316.8973  43.38%
 19 S, Matt               U   Limited     Minor N   N   N   N              307.6784  42.12%
 20 T, Ryan                U   Limited     Minor N   N   N   N              268.7330  36.79%
 21 S, Steve              U   Limited     Major N   N   N   N              261.7934  35.84%
 22 T, Charlie              U   Tactical    Major N   N   N   N              111.2561  15.23%
 23 H, Robin                U   Limited     Major Y   N   N   N               51.5225   7.05%
 24 G, Candice              U   Limited     Minor Y   N   N   N                2.6173   0.36%
DQed W, J             U   Limited     Minor N   N   N   N                0.0000   0.00%
DQed P, M           U   Open        Major N   N   N   N                0.0000   0.00%

Precision rifle
1. Scott C 68.5
2. Pat M 68
3. Cliff 67
4. Matt 61.5
5. Steve 60
6. Todd 47
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I had a blast pat thanks for putting it on, I'm sure there are more people that are responsible but I don't know them so I can only tell you thanks!!! I learned alot too, and hope to get more practice in before the next match so I can be moderately competitive.

In other news, I got to ride with one of the cav arms girls on the way there AND back!!! oh wait , wife says she never modeled for them. So since viper wont hook me up with an LPK without proof of my attendance and my winning the grand prize of a Tactical Solutions light weight upper and black dog magazine I have to post photos(just don't tell him that I won the grand prize via raffle ). Photos. of some of the festivities, and a reminder to recharge your camera BEFORE you go to this sort of"photos would be nice" event.

You DQ'd???

Come on man!

You do have pics though.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#30]
My one video before I got a re shoot because one of the steel poppers fell due to wind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0tm2Ot133g

Thanks for coming guys sorry it took so long to get through the match. Like I said earlier I will improve it next time with more squads and props to get us out by 4 pm instead of 730 pm
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You DQ'd???

Come on man!

You do have pics though.

It happens to the best of us. Some of the best shooters I know have been DQ'd. I almost was when I nearly fell flat on my face on the ice in Fairbanks. I was just lucky that I held onto the gun.  Don't take it hard and  you're always welcome at my shoots. You are all welcome to come to future matches. Good news after this match there was talk from some big names in Alaska shooting about putting on a State USPSA match and a State Three gun match next year.
While we were setting up we got visted by a brown bear sow with her cub and also a moose ran behind my roomate with in just a few feet. he did not even realize it was there because he was loading his mags with ear protection on.

fsjdw2
That Tac Sol upper will be great cheap practice. I use a spikes AR in 22 lr. for practice and steel competition.
Here are some pics and clips.

I assembled the lower and bought the upper and modified it to accept a rifle length hand guard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjd4jwj5ofM
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You DQ'd???

Come on man!

You do have pics though.

It happens to the best of us. Some of the best shooters I know have been DQ'd. I almost was when I nearly fell flat on my face on the ice in Fairbanks. I was just lucky that I held onto the gun.  Don't take it hard and  you're always welcome at my shoots. You are all welcome to come to future matches. Good news after this match there was talk from some big names in Alaska shooting about putting on a State USPSA match and a State Three gun match next year.

While we were setting up we got visted by a brown bear sow with her cub and also a moose ran behind my roomate with in just a few feet. he did not even realize it was there because he was loading his mags with ear protection on.

Pat

It's all good. I just like giving him shit.

Depending on my schedule i would really like to go to the next one when ever it might be.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:27:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You DQ'd???

Come on man!

You do have pics though.

Pat

It's all good. I just like giving him shit.

Depending on my schedule i would really like to go to the next one when ever it might be.

It will be in May. I will post the date when I get it more firmed up. I will have more sponsors at the next shoot as well and I will try to have three guns to give away like my last match in may. A rifle, (Stag AR), a shotgun (Remington 870) and a pistol (Springfield XDM)  This coming match may have different brands but I want a rifle, pistol and shotgun to give away.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#34]
i liked that it was a raffle not a skills competition, no way I could actually win against the guys at the top without about 15 DQ's and if that happened I dunno if I would want to be around that. maybe for the may match a couple really highend/useful for top notch guys prizes, and raffles for more generalized / broad spectrum gear.

Also my wife wrote her name on her hat in sharpie in the car on the way home... "so you won't steal it" now I CAN'T steal it...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#35]
The raffle seems to be popular. I copied IDPA in that regard. In IDPA they award prizes at random but give trophies to the winners. The may match will have trophies to the winners but a raffle for everyone.  I would like to have big prizes for winners too but alas I don't have the money for that yet. Maybe if we grow the match to 50 plus shooters.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The raffle seems to be popular. I copied IDPA in that regard. In IDPA they award prizes at random but give trophies to the winners. The may match will have trophies to the winners but a raffle for everyone.  I would like to have big prizes for winners too but alas I don't have the money for that yet. Maybe if we grow the match to 50 plus shooters.
Pat

Raffle becuase the only thing seperating me from being IPSC world champ is fancy gear.

<just like my NBA career is on hold simply due to my lack of fancy sneakers ...>

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Next match I am going to make the following changes to speed up the match.
1. Use a IDPA style of scoring that is simple time added on for penalties system. That way we can score with a calculator vs a lap top computer.
2. No sharing of props from stage to stage. This will me less big stages but it will make things run faster.
3. More squads if needed. No more than 10 per squad. That means if we have 30 people 3 squads. I have 5 bays to work with so in theory we could run up to 50 people at a match.
4. I will only run one big stage using all three guns. The other stages will be two gun. Meaning rifle and pistol or shotgun and pistol or rifle and shotgun. We may have some single gun stages.

If I make these changes we could have gotten in 5 stages in less time than we did 3.  Any feedback is welcome.
Pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top