Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2009 6:48:27 PM EDT
The Mother-n-law has made noises about wanting to do a vacation to Alaska.
I've seen a little bit of TV about the Alaskan railroad. This would be a good thing because she can't get around very well because of her age.
Any recommendations on what to see? Where to go? Where to stay? etc.?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope this helps  Alaska Railroad....you wont regret anything you choose to do here on your visit
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#3]
How long are you going to be up?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
When are you planning on coming out?  

I live in anchorage but that's not where I would go hang out.  The railroad would be a good thing, to get out away from anchorage.  

North of anchorage has some nice spots, talkeetna is nice and you can see mckinley from there pretty well.  The "kenai" is the penensula south away from anchorage.  It is where I do alot of my recreation time.  Beautiful place, Girdwood, Seward, Homer, and on and on.  

SEWARD
- 26 glacier cruise (huge boat, geriatric accesssible).  Day trip where you sea glaciers and often sea life and animals.
http://www.26glaciers.com/
-Ray's for Dinner - on the water / harbor - great food, I love this place.
http://www.igougo.com/dining-reviews-b150067-Seward-Rays_Waterfront.html
-AK Sea Life Center - pretty cool place -
http://www.alaskasealife.org/

Exit glacier is cool but it's a hike in to it (all flat ground) get up close and personal with a glacier on land.

GIRDWOOD

Ski town 30 minutes south of anchorage, huge mountains w/ glaciers.  Tram to the top of the ski area is open all year, great views.

There is more to tell but I'm running out of time on the computer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry about taking so long to respond.

It would be a summertime trip. Probably my wife, myself , and her aged parents.
The railroad sounds nice. Comfortable way for the folks to see things.
The cruise ship thing sounds nice but might be too expensive for us.

Thanks again for the info.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've done a cruise to see wildlife and its not expensive. He's not talking 'bout a 1000' cruise ship. You will leave the port in Seward (which is an AWESOME little town) and the one I went on took us to an island where we had lunch and it came back to Seward. We saw Orcas, Beluga Whales, Otters, Sea Lions and Bald Eagles. Its well worth it. Also the  R/R goes there. There is a Sealife Center (paid for by the Exxon Valdez, I think)  The hotel we stayed at was called The Edgewater Hotel.  Alaska will be the best vacation you will ever have
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top