Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2009 4:38:10 PM EDT
Hello Alaskans!

I am a California native stationed on Okinawa. I'll be TDY to Elmendorf from the 10th through the end of the month and just wanted to see what there will be to do there. I really want to fly fish at least once and am curious how much a weekend license costs and if anyone rents poles and such. Also I havent been able to shoot in over a year and was curious if there are any rifle ranges that rent.

If any of you guys are in the area and have tips or ideas please let me know.

Thanks.

Crash.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the prices on the non-resident Military licences:

Nonresident Military Sport Licenses:

Nonresident 1 Day Sport Fishing License**  $20.00

Nonresident 3 Day Sport Fishing License**  $35.00

Nonresident 7 Day Sport Fishing License** $55.00

Nonresident 14 Day Sport Fishing License** $80.00

Nonresident Military Annual Sport Fishing License** $24.00

Nonresident Military Hunting and Sport Fishing License** $48.00

As far as shooting goes, the local ranges do not rent weapons.  If I happen to be shooting between then and the 20th, I'll IM you and let you know.

ETA: Thank you for your service.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You may be able to get equipment from MWR and fish right there on Elmendorf or Ft. Rich.  If you want to do a guided and can get the transportation, there's a place in Cooper Landing called Troutfitters.  It's a guided fly fishing drift trip.  I'm sure it's not cheap, but the phone call won't cost much to find out.  There's also a rec. camp in Seward for military personnel.  You'll catch Halibut and King Salmon there.  Take a camera wherever you go.  And bug dope.  I don't  know of any ranges that rent.    

Our son is just about ready to leave Moody and head for Okinawa.  Has to be there by the end of June.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please confirm this, but I believe that you do not need a license if you are on military land.  I am sure there are places to fish on Ft Rich or Elemendorf.
No places that I know of that rent rifles, though I am sure atleast one of our members would step up and show you a good time
If you make it to Fairbanks, you are welcome to play with my guns

I dont know if there are spots for salmon though on EDF or Ft. Rich.  I know you can fish all the lakes for trout and land-locked silvers though.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:52:24 AM EDT
[#5]
and you should be able to get the rods/etc rented cheap through MWR on base - I'd almost take the other advice though of finding a guide, paying the fee and "usually" doing very well with someone else doing all the work.  As said above - have your camera handy all the time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Crash... I'll see if we've got any good evening flights with a good crew.  Maybe we can get you on for a little sight seeing flight.  We'll just say you're interested in cross training and want to see what the job is like...  We're at the tail end of our ORI so things should slow down a little bit for us.  Can't promise anything, but it's worth looking into if you're interested.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Crash... I'll see if we've got any good evening flights with a good crew.  Maybe we can get you on for a little sight seeing flight.  We'll just say you're interested in cross training and want to see what the job is like...  We're at the tail end of our ORI so things should slow down a little bit for us.  Can't promise anything, but it's worth looking into if you're interested.

that would be awesome!

I appreciate the input from everyone. I get my tickets and stuff through TMO today. No rental authorized and I am going for 2 weeks to do 3 days worth of work. I have never been to Alaska but I know it's a beautiful place.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that would be awesome!

I appreciate the input from everyone. I get my tickets and stuff through TMO today. No rental authorized and I am going for 2 weeks to do 3 days worth of work. I have never been to Alaska but I know it's a beautiful place.

I'll look into it when I got to work in the morning and see what I can do...  There's nothing like seeing Alaska from a helicopter.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that would be awesome!

I'll look into it when I got to work in the morning and see what I can do...  There's nothing like seeing Alaska from a helicopter.  

I work for an electrical contractor, but I would be interested in some of that kind of cross training also.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Crash, I'm a born and raised Alaskan currently living in Anchorage.  I have poles and 4 wheelers and all sorts of stuff.  Hit me up, I'd love to help you out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I arrive in Anchorage at 2050 on 9 June.. I'm out of my shop for 2 weeks
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Crash, I'm a born and raised Alaskan currently living in Anchorage.  I have poles and 4 wheelers and all sorts of stuff.  Hit me up, I'd love to help you out.

will do, and I got your PM.

I need to dig out my cold weather gear... 65 is freezing for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

will do, and I got your PM.

I need to dig out my cold weather gear... 65 is freezing for me.

Pssh, it hit the low 70's in Anchorage today, I thought I was going to melt.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL, should be entertaining.

All the guys visiting from Eileson that were here a couple months ago are indirectly getting their revenge on me for laughing at them for being hot during our cold months.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#15]
plane delayed, friggin 7 hr layover in Osaka, then 10hr flight to SF... lucky thing is I catch a straight flight to Anchorage from there rather than going to SeaTac first.
ETA 2350 Alaska Local time
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]
in San Francisco for 2 hours, then to Anchorage
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:37:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Im here!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm another CA native going TDY to Elmendorf!

I'll be there this friday, coming from Nellis with our fruity tooty blue and brown camo'd F-15's. We're staying at Ft. Richardson till the 29th...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Im here!

Welcome to Anchorage.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'll be there this friday, coming from Nellis with our fruity tooty blue and brown camo'd F-15's. We're staying at Ft. Richardson till the 29th...

Are you playing agressor w/ CAS?

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Damnit, you probably walked right past me while coming off the Acft... I was on the white SSgt on the top left side of the stair truck with the gortex and oakleys.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damnit, you probably walked right past me while coming off the Acft... I was on the white SSgt on the top left side of the stair truck with the gortex and oakleys.

On the right side as I was leaving the aircraft? If so than yep, I walked right by you.

And yes, we are playing aggressors.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the right side as I was leaving the aircraft? If so than yep, I walked right by you.

Mind if I ask what's up w/ all the antennas on that CAS learjet?

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't even know there's a learjet here. We only fly the F-15's at our unit, so I'm not sure who's jet that is.

Sorry for not being much help in that department.

BTW, what does CAS mean? When I see it I'm thinking flight controls or close air support, to many acronyms going on.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:31:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't even know there's a learjet here. We only fly the F-15's at our unit, so I'm not sure who's jet that is.

Sorry for not being much help in that department.

BTW, what does CAS mean? When I see it I'm thinking flight controls or close air support, to many acronyms going on.

CAS is the "Contract Agressor Squadron" They mainly run A4's as agressors on contract for the Navy.  The learjet is supposed to have all sorts of avionics and electronic whizbang gizmos for simulated dogfighting...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool thanks.

I rolled by the A4's and mirages earlier, they've all got ATAC on the tails.

I'm not sure if we are flying with them however. Being a maintainer, we kinda get left in the dark about their sortie.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that would be awesome!

I work for an electrical contractor, but I would be interested in some of that kind of cross training also.

I'm a sales rep, but am also interested in cross training.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Had fun today!  Thanks for coming out John...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#30]
no problem Ken, it is I who must thank you, that was an absolute blast and a relief of 11 months of not being able to shoot!

I'll get the pics and vid up ASAP.

I'm in love with your toys, I love the AR but gotta get an MP5 look alike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top