Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2009 8:55:29 PM EDT
Hello everyone! As you can probably see by the subject line, I am not from Alaska - I am from Arkansas, but I will be visiting there soon!  My husband's work is taking him to Anchorage and I was lucky enough to tag along. We are going to stay a few days beyond his work schedule for a little vacation (total of the 15th - 20th). The problem we are running into is that everything is so expensive! I am looking for a rental car and I'm finding that there isn't anything available for less than $75 per day - and that's for the smallest car possible!  

If I could get some info from a local it would be great. How is the public transportation there? Would it be easier and cheaper than renting a car? Would we be able to have transportation to local areas of interest? This basically leads me into my next question.

Neither of us have been to the area before and we would like to see the area and have things to do, but we don't have a lot of extra cash to spend. What are some fun things to do around there? We both really appreciate nature so any amazing sight seeing or photo areas would be wonderful. We wouldn't mind if things were a little ways outside of town, so long as we have a way to get there and back.

Thanks for any help!!!  
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
How expensive are hotels around Dec-Jan.?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You will want a car
Welcome to Summer in Alaska, everything is more expensive.  I would try something like pricelines name your own price and see what you can do
Not sure if you are going to Fairbanks or Anchorage, but you really will want to be able to go places that are not covered by mass transit.

Thanks for the info. We'll be in Anchorage for our stay. Any suggestions on the areas we'll want to see that aren't covered by mass transit?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Sewards Sea life center if you want to go that far.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You will want a car
Welcome to Summer in Alaska, everything is more expensive.  I would try something like pricelines name your own price and see what you can do
Not sure if you are going to Fairbanks or Anchorage, but you really will want to be able to go places that are not covered by mass transit.

Thanks for the info. We'll be in Anchorage for our stay. Any suggestions on the areas we'll want to see that aren't covered by mass transit?

Honestly there is tons that just isnt inside the transit system.  Like another post said the sea life center and a few other things.  

As a heads up, if you go to the ocean front DO NOT walk on the silty looking beach.  Lots of people do that and a few die each year because it suctions around your feet.  If the police cant get you out before high tide you are screwed.

Moving on.  

For mass transit in anchorage you can get day passes for around $4 i think.  Unlimited rides a day.  Not to mention some of the routes are pretty scenic.  Its been a few years since ive lived that far south so ill let the anchorage guys take over lol
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How expensive are hotels around Dec-Jan.?

Still expensive.  Several shut down completely at that time....though it depends on where.  At that time Fairbanks is pushing -40 to -50 at times.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Do Not rent from the Airport.  You will pay a 20% charge for airport rental.

My friends on the Slope talk well about this company.  Give them a call.

Cheap Wheels Rent-A-Car

<cite>www.cheapwheelsrentacar.com</cite>

3811 Spenard Rd

Anchorage, AK 99517

(907) 561-8627

Get directions

1 review and more »

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#8]
One of my sisters was able to rent a car for around $200.00 for the entire week when up here recently, but that was before tourist season was in full swing.  She did it through her CostCo membership.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]
For sight-seeing, you might check out how much it would cost to ride the Alaska Railroad to Denali National Park and back.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cheap Wheels Rent-A-Car

3811 Spenard Rd
Anchorage, AK 99517
(907) 561-8627
Get directions

1 review and more »

Cheap Wheels is a good company run by good people. i recomend them strongly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
we would like to see the area and have things to do,
We both really appreciate nature  

You will need a Car.
Visit the EAGLE RIVER NATURE CENTER 40 minute drive from Anchorage.
32750 Eagle River Rd. Eagle River, AK 99577-8252.
Phone 1: (907) 694-2108. Fax: (907) 694-2119.

~R

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone for the great info, I have a running start now! I can't wait to get out of this heat a little! :)
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheap Wheels Rent-A-Car

3811 Spenard Rd
Anchorage, AK 99517
(907) 561-8627
Get directions

1 review and more »

Cheap Wheels is a good company run by good people. i recomend them strongly.

Thanks! Their rates are much lower than anyone else I found and they seemed very nice on the phone. I have my car rented and a B&B reserved! Now on to looking into all these great suggestions for sight seeing!
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
In Anchorage the Native Heritage Center is a must see. For a great view go up to Flat Top.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#18]
RIPAK is on the money as usual.  It is a great drive to the ERNC and the hike is as far as your legs take you.  Frequently I see moose on the lake within 1/2 mile of the nature center.  Last summer a bear ran a crossed our path at the same location.

Recommend you also check the Concealed Carry law link maintained by UAFgrad and RIPAK in the AK/HI hometown section.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

we would like to see the area and have things to do,

We both really appreciate nature  

You will need a Car.

Visit the EAGLE RIVER NATURE CENTER 40 minute drive from Anchorage.

32750 Eagle River Rd. Eagle River, AK 99577-8252.

Phone 1: (907) 694-2108. Fax: (907) 694-2119.

~R

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#19]
So my wife and I are in Alaska and enjoying it so far.  We decided to do a little bit gun shopping, specifically the Ruger P380.
What is the best gun store(s) in Anchorage area that has the best deal?   Please email me if anyone has a suggestion. It goes straight
To my Black Berry ;-)

Oh, yes we will have to ship handgun(s) to our local FFL. :)

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Because it seems firearms are more available here and the prices are not as expensive as in Arkansas.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I would probably catch Girdwood, Portage Glacier, Whittier, Seward head back and drop into Soldotna take the Spur Highway to Kenai and catch Bridge access to K Beach and follow the coast highway to Kasiloff, Ninilchik to Anchor Point and into Homer. Take the water taxi across the bay to Halibut Cove and from there to Seldovia. If you like the outdoors Homer, Seldovia and the surrounding area will probably be the highlight of your trip. Thats a lot of ground to cover in a very short time. Don't stop moving and bring your coats. .
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Because it seems firearms are more available here and the prices are not as expensive as in Arkansas.

Say what?

Every gun I have bought up here has cost me more than any other state I have been to.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#25]
You guys have to contact me if you guys make it to the Kenai/Soldotna area.

There is a Ruger 380 at the Impact Area for sale.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top