Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:53:46 PM EDT
I work for helicopter comapny as mechanic her in LA. Our company put out job offers for AK, cities of Fairbanks, Anchorage and Palmer for EMS aircraft. Sor far the postings have been for the pilots. I am thinking of putting my name in for the mechanic position when  it post's. Tell me what would me my best choice as far cities.

So far they are offering a relocation package to move there with a 2 yr commitment.

Winrter months are not a concern I am from MI origanlly but understand Ak winters are more.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Alaska winters are just long.  I do not think we get smacked with the storms like lake effect storms, but things drag and drag.  Some people revel in it, others crack, and most just endure.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Fairbanks,  Most Alaskan of the 3. Has the greatest weather swings. Hotter and Colder than the others.

Anchorage, Big City in Alaska. <== Joke, but you might like Anchorage if you want to retain a somewhat easier lifestyle.

Palmer, Splits the middle of the others. Anchorage is 40 miles away so if you can't get it done in the Valley, help is within reach. Downside. Winds are a Son of a Bitch at times but hey you don't gotta fly in that Eggbeater.

I'd go Palmer/Valley if I had a job waiting there.

~R
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I had never even heard of Palmer. Have been doing some google seraches of AK. The housing is some what similar to here as far as prices but not sure about the rent side. Relocation is not a problem with me.

ETA: The pilots job poting said they have to live within 1 hour of the base. That would hold true for the mechanics also. I worked an EMS for them n Cleveland, OH from 92-2002.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Fairbanks,  Most Alaskan of the 3. Has the greatest weather swings. Hotter and Colder than the others.

Anchorage, Big City in Alaska. <== Joke, but you might like Anchorage if you want to retain a somewhat easier lifestyle.

Palmer, Splits the middle of the others. Anchorage is 40 miles away so if you can't get it done in the Valley, help is within reach. Downside. Winds are a Son of a Bitch at times but hey you don't gotta fly in that Eggbeater.

I'd go Palmer/Valley if I had a job waiting there.

~R

Big +1.

Lots of commuters live in the valley, but if you had a job sitting out there that paid well and you did not have to make the trek to AngerRage every day that would be most sweet.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
What is Angerrage? Oh I got it !! Anchorage right? haha
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is Angerrage? Oh I got it !! Anchorage right? haha

EZ helicopters? green & white?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#7]
if you're coming from my old neck of the woods (cleveland  and detroit areas) then alaska will be no problem . much less snow than lake effect crap and its not as wet . I spent alot of time in the midwest and would take alaska over it anyday .
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

ETA: The pilots job poting said they have to live within 1 hour of the base.

Palmer/Valley is within the 1hr commute of Anchorage.

Would not like the daily drive from the Valley to Anchorage but it can and has been done more than a few times.

Go Palmer/Valley and you can work 2 out of the 3 areas your Company operates from.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies. Should know more within a month or so. I head back to work this week and will see if they have posted anything yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I would choose Palmer actually I did and don't regret it well except for times like now when I have a truck and am commuting to Ted Stevens International for work.  I moved to Palmer from Fairbanks, I miss the summers that Fairbanks had but not the winters.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Palmer sounds like the one then. To clarify about the 1 hr within work distance, they want you within the vicinty of the base.It's going to be 24/7 operation. In Clev we had 3 bases over time...each one was fairly close except Canton..they provided a company vehicle for that one.

Sigfan40fan:  Yes I did work right in Cleveland and lived in Burton MI on my off time. 7days on, 7 off Thats where I am originally from. Lake effect snow was worse in Clev from lake Erie. Western MI had it bad at times too cause of Lake Michigan.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#12]
The Wife is a transplant from Canton, she likes it here much better.  She misses the fall down there but not much else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Update: Right now it's in limbo. Seems it has something to do with it being a state run program for EMS and funding. So money has a lot to do with it. This past week I did not see the supposed aircraft in our hangar being prepped to go there. It was said to start mid Sept. I really didn't see it happening that soon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
A local company in Fairbanks just went rotor medevac recently

Up until about a month ago the Army did ALL non fixed wing medevac services in the interior.  Once they got the deployment orders they told the state they couldnt do it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Up until about a month ago the Army did ALL non fixed wing medevac services in the interior.  Once they got the deployment orders they told the state they couldnt do it anymore.

I wonder if that has something to do with our company or others placing a bid or prelimanary bid and being invovled in some kind of state run program.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder if that has something to do with our company or others placing a bid or prelimanary bid and being invovled in some kind of state run program.

I would think is has.

PS Hope you make it up here before the end of the year. I'm thinking PFD would come sooner for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top