Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 1:03:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Wind and rain is what Dec is like.  Dec '07 we saw 24"-25" of rain.
Water temp from what I recall when diving has been a low of around 78F.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Its the tropics my friend.  Shorts and T-shirts year round.  Water temps are a few degrees cooler than in the summer but it will still feel like bath water compared to most everywhere else.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Nights get chilly, daytime temps are about perfect, even in Ewa Beach.  This summer has felt hot though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Generally we get a little more rain and clouds in Dec-Jan-Feb... but not always.  Highs in the low to mid 80s and lows in the upper 50s to mid 60s.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its the tropics my friend.  Shorts and T-shirts year round.  Water temps are a few degrees cooler than in the summer but it will still feel like bath water compared to most everywhere else.

Understood, brah.  Just not sure if swimming is possible during Dec. and about the rain.  
 I plan to go either July or Dec. 20 for about a week with family.  Don't want the family bitching at me about going there during Dec. and sitting in the hotel because of the rain or the water is too cold to swim.

Last December/January I was in the water on weekends around 6am with nothing more than board shorts and rash guard chasing fish with a 3 prong, its warm enough.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 Thanks for the inputs, guys.

BTW...Looking at all the hotels houses/condo for rent in Oahu, specifically either Waikiki (I know you local brah would recommend some other nicer, quieter places...But the kids and wife prefer), or Kailua....After comparing them initially, I'm leaning toward this for now, nothing concrete yet: hawaiianbeachrentals.com/Hawaii/Oahu/SunsetBeach/SunsetBeachSurfersParadise.htm

Prices comparable to hotels at Waikiki, but it has more room, kitchen and of course beach behind the property.  I'll call tomorrow to get more info.

The location you provided the link for is on the north shore, which is about an hour to hour-and-a-half drive from Waikiki, depending on traffic conditions.  Also, during the months from November to February the north shore gets HUGE waves most of the time, so swimming is not usually a good idea.  That's also the "busy season" for the north shore, therefore the rates for that rental are going to be higher than they would be in the summer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Thanks for the inputs, guys.

BTW...Looking at all the hotels houses/condo for rent in Oahu, specifically either Waikiki (I know you local brah would recommend some other nicer, quieter places...But the kids and wife prefer), or Kailua....After comparing them initially, I'm leaning toward this for now, nothing concrete yet: hawaiianbeachrentals.com/Hawaii/Oahu/SunsetBeach/SunsetBeachSurfersParadise.htm

Prices comparable to hotels at Waikiki, but it has more room, kitchen and of course beach behind the property.  I'll call tomorrow to get more info.

The location you provided the link for is on the north shore, which is about an hour to hour-and-a-half drive from Waikiki, depending on traffic conditions.  Also, during the months from November to February the north shore gets HUGE waves most of the time, so swimming is not usually a good idea.  That's also the "busy season" for the north shore, therefore the rates for that rental are going to be higher than they would be in the summer.

Not to mention that time of year N.Shore traffic SUCKS!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on what you want.  You want a big city with ammeneties in Paradise, then Waikiki is it.  Want some huge surf, during the winter then it is the N. Shore, but as mentioned it can be a zoo on the N. Shore when the surf is up.  Want laid back, with good ameneties and some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and only about 30 min outside of Waikiki, then Kailua may be your best bet.  Kailua may not be cheap however especially if you want a good rental near or on the beach.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Depends on what you want.  You want a big city with ammeneties in Paradise, then Waikiki is it.  Want some huge surf, during the winter then it is the N. Shore, but as mentioned it can be a zoo on the N. Shore when the surf is up.  Want laid back, with good ameneties and some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and only about 30 min outside of Waikiki, then Kailua may be your best bet.  Kailua may not be cheap however especially if you want a good rental near or on the beach.

Ko Olina is nice and quiet year round as well, but pricey.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
That's about right, 30 with no traffic, 45 with. That's what I've been told anyway. It seems quicker getting around here the past two days though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top