Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 3:42:06 PM EDT
If I understand the local law correctly, we're not supposed to use +10 round mags, say, for an AK since an AK pistol exists.  Same for UZI's, MP5 clones and such.  BUT, assault pistols are no longer allowed to enter the state and selling,trading,bequeathing etc. is not allowed either, correct?

So I don't get how the law makes any sense that I can't get a 32 round mag for my MP5 clone since I can't buy an assault pistol version anyway (MP5K, SP89) and they're not allowed into the state anymore.  And for those who own assault pistols, they can only sell it to someone out of state.  Unless I currently owned one, seems like I'll never have one here, so what's the point?  Ridiculous.

Now, I moved back here to Hawaii in November of 2004.  I buy an UZI and I'm told I can't pop 32 round mags into it because of the law.  Does this apply to everyone else here that previously owned hi cap rifle mags?  Or are previous owners allowed to have them?  I'm guessing so, but then, are previous holders in danger of having to prove when they acquired them, say, if they're at Koko Head with a 30 round mag in an AK/AR15?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If I understand the local law correctly, we're not supposed to use +10 round mags, say, for an AK since an AK pistol exists.  Same for UZI's, MP5 clones and such.  BUT, assault pistols are no longer allowed to enter the state and selling,trading,bequeathing etc. is not allowed either, correct?

It's a rediculous law that is so gray on the matter of AR15 hi cap mags to be almost unenforcable if you only own an AR15 in rifle configuration.  This has been discussed on the Hawaii board numerous times.  As with most other matters, everyone has their own opinion in regards to this.  Also consider that Magnum Firearms on Queen St has been selling 30 round D&H teflon coated AR15 mags since the Federal ASW legislation went away (Sept 2004), and continues to do so today.

So I don't get how the law makes any sense that I can't get a 32 round mag for my MP5 clone since I can't buy an assault pistol version anyway (MP5K, SP89) and they're not allowed into the state anymore.  And for those who own assault pistols, they can only sell it to someone out of state.  Unless I currently owned one, seems like I'll never have one here, so what's the point?  Ridiculous.
Agree, ridiculous.

Now, I moved back here to Hawaii in November of 2004.  I buy an UZI and I'm told I can't pop 32 round mags into it because of the law.  Does this apply to everyone else here that previously owned hi cap rifle mags?  Or are previous owners allowed to have them?  I'm guessing so, but then, are previous holders in danger of having to prove when they acquired them, say, if they're at Koko Head with a 30 round mag in an AK/AR15?

I've seen guys use 30 round AR mags at Koko Head for hours and not get anything said to them.   I've also seen guys insert an 30 round mag in to their AR and have one of the rangemasters come over and tell them it's not allowed and they have to put it away and use only 10 round mags.  I personally don't use the 30's there because I have a dozen 10 rounders and a friend's house in the country where I can shoot the 30's all day without a rangemaster in sight. Also, you are only allowed to load a max of 5 rounds at Koko anyway.  Now, I've never seen or heard of anyone getting the cops called or getting in any kind of trouble at Koko for having them, so do what you will.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It is usaully an ADD on Offense. (Such as 922(r) violations are unenforcable). and only applies to DETACHABLE Pistol magazine. A 75 round AR drum is still technically LEGAL if it is permantly installed via welding or Silver Solder per ATF guildlines.

Loopholes also exsist for AK, AR, Mac and Uzi Pistol to be LEAGALLY obtain and Transfered in Hawaii.
Highly recommend reading HRS 134-1
Good Luck

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, you are only allowed to load a max of 5 rounds at Koko anyway.

So that's what Dragonfly228 meant when he posted "HPD testified that more than 10 round magazines are not needed, as target shooting is all 3 or 5 round groups." LOL! I was wondering about that.  

I haven't been to the Koko Head range since 1995 so I'm not familiar with the updated rules.  I hope to make it out there soon.  I actually work in Koko Marina but I split by 12:30-1:00 so I don't get stuck in traffic going back to Waianae :)

I miss the Nevada desert... (only for shooting tho' hehe)

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
"Highly recommend reading HRS 134-1"

Thanks, doing so now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#5]
HRS 134-1
The words DETACHABLE and SEMIAUTOMATIC. hint hint
This is Comfirmed with HPD as a Non Assualt Pistol.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot my rifle with standard capacity M16 mags at Kokohead just about every weekend, no range nazis have said anything but I do get looks and hear people talking amongst themselves when I bring them out.  If I ever catch heat for it I will pull the unit armorer defense, as it is my duty to ensure proper fit and fuction of all my equipment.  At the rate of 1 magazine a week, I will have tested all that I am signed for in about 2500 more weekends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top