Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 2:08:51 AM EDT
Last year there were tons of bears, more reports of black bears in Seward than ever before, and very few were taken.  There were more Grizzly sightings last year as well, with several killed in self defense.

I live 7 miles outside of Seward proper.  I am fookin' nervous.  I was within a few feet of 2 bears last year.  This year is supposed to be worse for them due to the mild winter and the lack of harvest.

My wife likes to take advantage of the scenery and good weather in the summer and take walks with the kids in a stroller.  What I need to do, and soon, is come up with a viable plan and proper equipment for my wife and family to have/use incase of a bear encounter.

Anyhow, I do have the shotgun with a sidesaddle by the front door, and I have one .44 mag, a ruger SRH I had snubbied.  As much as I like the SRH, I think it is a pia to carry as there isn't a decent holster for the Ruger Alaskan available, and I need to rig up something that my wife would be willing to put on and walk with.  I was thinking one of the Taurus Titanium .44 mags and a shoulder holster set up for the wife that she could slip on when she heads out.  The rig needs to be as painless as possible to wear or else she would not wear it.  I was also thinking some cans of bear spray to keep handy.

I also picked up another dog who pretty alert and hopefully that may help avert any problems.  I don't know what else to do.  Like I said, I am nervous.  I can't always be around because of work.  I can't lock the wife and kids up either.  I guess it might also be wise for her to take the kids for walks in town along the bike path that runs along the beach.

Any other tips guys?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Why were there so few bears taken last year?  Are these urban bears with no easy places to harvest them?

If you can pattern any bears my son and I would be happy to come do our part.  Have .338 Win Mag will travel. <g>

Matt
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#2]
14" Shotgun in a leg or back holster made from a converted Chipmunk rifle case

S&W M500 snub (coming soon) to 6"

.458 Socom

As for holsters for you.  An over-the-coat worn across the chest holster  of the type hunters use for large (and sometimes scoped) revolvers is very accessable at all times.  Tends to deter 2 legged males though when the first thing they see is a big ass gat.  If you are going concealed then obviously a shoulder holster.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it possible for her to walk with another adult.

One to deal with Bear issue and one to deal with getting the kids out of harms way

Maybe worth driving into town and walking in higher populated areas where lesslikely to have close encounters.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
m458 socom huh.....I gots an MGI upper...all I'd need is a bolt and barrel...

and ammo
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
m458 socom huh.....I gots an MGI upper...all I'd need is a bolt and barrel...

and ammo

Talk with MartytW or Tony about a barrel and bolt, I am sure they can/will hook you up.  
As for ammo, if you dont reload, start thinking about something else.  I have never seen any SOCOM ammo for sale in Alaska and have had two boxes of the Corbon 600g on order for a year and a half now.  Unless you are willing to order a ton of it and pay the barge fees or find someone to bring it up in their checked baggage, you are probably out of luck.

With that being said, if you can swing it.  You will not regret it.

Its fun to see someone new shoot it.
Boom
Oh shit look that is quickly followed by the biggest post coital smile.
Ive never had anyone not want to shoot a second mag.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen .458 socom up here, I think at sportsman's warehouse.....maybe not, but I have seen it.  I could always have someone load the stuff for me...hint hint...

I'll check with Marty and see what he has, I can't afford too much right now, we are under contract for a set of rental condos here.  

My little ar would make a nice little bear bumper to have around.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Get a holster for the shotgun and mount it to the stroller!

hte stroller is one of them huge tandem joggers, I think it deserves its own Kolpin gun  Boot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Two to the head . One to the chest .

AKA Double tap
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a holster for the shotgun and mount it to the stroller!

hte stroller is one of them huge tandem joggers, I think it deserves its own Kolpin gun  Boot.

That is so very Alaskan of you . Make sure ya duct tape it on . You do of course realise the Texans are going to cry about not being smart enough to come up with a redneck solution like that first dontcha?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
If your wife is like mine, she will just talk the Bear to death.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If your wife is like mine, she will just talk the Bear to death.

IF yours is like mine she'd ...never mind, wife is looking.  can't talk now......no...not the frying pan again!!!

Kidding.  My wife is more like the bear than the bear is when it comes to protecting the cubs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Where do I get info on helping harvest them.  I have only been up here since november but have the fire power to take one down and would really like to. any help would be sweet.  I will jog with your wife if need be.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Where do I get info on helping harvest them.  I have only been up here since november but have the fire power to take one down and would really like to. any help would be sweet.  I will jog with your wife if need be.

Check the F&G regs for starters.  

It is kind of a bad place to try and harvest them because it is a residential area.  I can put you in touch with one of the locals who has gotten a couple blackies in town with a bow, they cross through his yard with regularity heading up Lowell Canyon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top