Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 4:13:05 PM EDT
I would like to get a suppressor for a couple of my AR's. I live south of King Salmon but will be in Anchorage after ice out and need know what the paper requirements are.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know if he's here but Ritchie Solberg who I went to high school with is into the class III stuff in a big way.  Mike's friend in Fairbanks is a suppresor mfg'er, but you said you're interested in ANC

Another resource:

www.amga.net/
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Raven:
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I dont know if he's here but Ritchie Solberg who I went to high school with is into the class III stuff in a big way.  Mike's friend in Fairbanks is a suppresor mfg'er, but you said you're interested in ANC

Another resource:

www.amga.net/

I believe that Ritchie moved out of state within the last year or two.
Wild West Guns was clearing out alot of his non  NFA stuff for him and that was the story they told me
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I know Richie's younger brother and I beleive he's somewhere in Florida doing some Gov't contract stuff.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
The question is better asked of somebody over at AMGA.  You could have tried Mike Sergeant, but I think he's out of the business, so to speak.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Got hooked up. Suppressor is being built and paper is started. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Got hooked up. Suppressor is being built and paper is started. Thanks for the info.

OOOOhhh Yaaaaaa now the WOLVES will die quietly. (Insert Ginormous Grin)

: )

D.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Dartop:
From what I've learned about suppressors I don't think you can get one that is effective enough for any canine unless you use something subsonic. I get nervous flipping  a safety at less than a 100 yards.  What I do expect to accomplish with it is being able to shoot in my backyard range without being disruptive to anything in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

who did you wind up going through for the transfer and who's suppressor are you getting?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The dealers name is Bob Haller and Jet is building the suppressor. It will be .277 diameter to fit my 6.8 and will also have my 6.5G and 260 AR10 threaded to use it.  If it works out may get another to fit my .223's and .204.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Bob

What kind of range do you typically shoot the critters at?

Thinking a 338 Specter with a 300 grain bullet in a subsonic loading would give you atleast 200 yards worth of terminal energy yet be a suppressed package.  Plus you could shot it off of your AR10.  You also could always go with the 300Whisper/Fireball/-221, though I would think you would lose some terminal range.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#12]
UAFGrad:
All of my shooting is 300 yards or less with a hight percentage of that less than 150. I really hadn't planned on using it as an advantage in a actual hunting scenario just to keep the noise down while using my range. I literally have game in my back yard at times and I curtail a lot of "range" activities in the winter. Was hoping it  would allow me to do more shooting without disrupting as much. I would be very impressed if a can on even a subsonic round would not be picked up by a canine. They really key on anything that isn't a natural sound or smell.
If this one works well for me I may just try another can witha subsonic round. Keeps me busy and off the street and lessens the chance of dieing with money in the bank.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
seems to me from what little i can find up here that alaskan tactical on muldoon can help you out.  you already have yours but every time I go in there I am happy.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Have only found one snag in this NAFA thing. After all the beurocratic BS is done the Class III dealer has the apporved paper and your can in his hand and it remains there untill you present youself and a valid ID physically to him. I assumed that since my can could be mailed 3K miles to the dealer he could also mail it to me but no cigar. Since we avoid the land of the pavement like the plauge and only make a trip to Los Anchorage once a year it adds a $500 plane ticket on to the expense unless I want to wait another year. Anyone know a way around this?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Have only found one snag in this NAFA thing. After all the beurocratic BS is done the Class III dealer has the apporved paper and your can in his hand and it remains there untill you present youself and a valid ID physically to him. I assumed that since my can could be mailed 3K miles to the dealer he could also mail it to me but no cigar. Since we avoid the land of the pavement like the plauge and only make a trip to Los Anchorage once a year it adds a $500 plane ticket on to the expense unless I want to wait another year. Anyone know a way around this?

I believe that there are some provisions where a FFL can trasfer a suppressor if there is not a CIII in the area.  
If you dont get your answer here, you might pose your question on subguns.com
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Bob/UAFgrad-
http://www.cornbread.com/~jhinkle/guns/cz527.jpg
CZ 527 Varmint cut to 20" with Gemtech Bilock
Harris Short Bipod
Leupold 4.5 x 14

As far as I know there is no legal way to NOT have to actually face-to-face transfer the can to you, unless you are an FFL- a 'normal' FFL can receive transfer of a can to himself via mail.  So basically unless you're an FFL, Bob, you're going to have to incorporate your actual transfer into your annual trek to Los Anchorage.  Which isn't that big of a deal since the transfer to your dealer and clearance of the paperwork is going to take forever anyway.  You got to do it for rifles, you got to 4473 the can too.  By the way, who did you get to sign off your form4?  I've often thought that legally a VPSO could sign, and I know a fur & feathers officer can too.

As for your dealer/can, I've heard of Bob and I think he's alright.  Jet- is that his brand?  Is it a local manufacturer?  Never heard of it.  I've got 6 cans from 4 manufacturers and another 3 or 4 on the way and what I've learned is- you get what you pay for, and what you want from a can is a subjectively good sound and as important if not moreso- PRODUCT SUPPORT.  You will never sell the can- the tax stamp to sell it again makes it cost prohibitive.  So either listen to the damn thing before you buy it or go into the deal knowing there is a possibility that it will suck.

As to the particular can you mention, ask your dealer and/or the manufacturer if it would be possible to shoot .204, .223, .260, 6.5, and 6.8 through it.  I don't know the pressure of the 6.8 but my gut tells me it's fairly low so your manufacturer might be building the can down for this.  While the hole will take a .22 calibre bullet, it might not take the pressure of a .223 or .204.  Discuss the possibilities of oddball calibres with your manufacturer.  I called Gemtech and spoke with both Doc Dater as well as Kel about using my M-496D on my .17 Remington AR upper and others- they got really squeamish about using ANYTHING but 5.56, as that can is specifically built around a standard 5.56 load.  As such it works absolutely amazing- for what its built for.  If your can is going to be an all around can I'd ask about being able to use it on the smaller rounds too, if I was you.  To me the actual can ID seems like it'd be 'good enough' for you to appreciate its effects on the 223 and 204.  The older American Manufacturer .30 can actually was damn good sounding on a 223 M16, as good as a 30 upper.

As for hunting with the can you can legally use a suppressor for trapping so you're cool with it.  Try it out, you'll be surprised as to its effects on the critters with your standard supersonic loads- the can has an effect on the perceived location of the shooter so half the time the bastards will either come running right after you or run at a right angle.  It certainly makes shit interesting.  

DO NOT USE ANY SUBSONIC LOADS THROUGH A STANDARD TWIST BARREL AND NOT EXPECT YOUR CAN TO HAVE A TOTAL AND COMPLETE COMEAPART.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Jason:
I haven't had FFL in a long time so it looks like another $500 ticket to come in and visit  the pavement pounders.  From what I've hear a VPSO can not sign the form 4 and any troopers (now that they are all the same color shirt) because of there blanket policy.  The Troopers policy is only the Commisionor of Public Safety is allowed to sign and he has flat no policy. The way I understand it whomever has authority to issue an arrest warrent for you can sign. In my case that was the Chief of Police in King Salmon/Naknek. There are weird Borrough juristictions out here but I spoke with him and he knows where I live and said he will sign it. Both of the local troopers know me and called him first. I sent him a short bio and photos of my ADL and passport so he can do any kind of background check before the form 4 arrives that he wants so I should be good to go.
Jet is building my can in 6.8(277) diameter  with standard 5/8 x24 threads. I talked to about 4 manufacturers and Jet was the only one that would build a 6.8/6.5 can for me. Jet is not Bob's manufacturer of choice. I found them before I found him.
http://www.jetsuppressors.com/
I also plan on using it on my 6.5/284 bolt gun which is prethreaded and my AR10-260 and my AR15 6.5 Grendel both of which I'm sending into GAP to be threaded. Jet was the most expensive but is lighter weight and seems to have a good following in the tactical match area. The troopers told me it is legal to use for either hunting or trapping but don't really see a practical use in hunting. I get nervous flipping a safety at <100 yards wolf hunting and don't think a can will really help. I do think it will help  lesson the distance the sound travels when I use my backyard range and not scare so much game away. I could also say it would help preserve my hearing but I blasted most of that away years ago.
If this works out will look at another one for my .223 AR's and my .204 AR. What Jet told me about my 6.8/6.5 can is the only way I will be able to tell the difference when using my 6.8 diameter can on one of my 6.5's is when I am next to someone with a 6.5 can on a 6.5. I can live with that given the high cost and the fact I can use it on four different weapons. Assuming same logic should apply to .223/204. Having survived all the beaucratic bs the first time around I may be even able to time it to my once a year trip to the land of trees and streetlights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top