Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 10:33:37 PM EDT
"Assault Pistol" means a semiautomatic pistol which accepts a detachable magazine and which has two or more of the following characteristics: an ammunition magazine which attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward hand grip, or silencer; a shroud which is attached to or partially or completely encircles the barrel and which permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the second hand without being burned; a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; a centerfire pistol with an overall length of 12 inches or more; or is a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

So this means that if we get a fixed mag California receiver that was never a made or registered as a rifle we can make AR format pistols out of it?  Does HPD throw a fit when we register it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Waiting for Suka, hes the regional expert on the loopholes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#2]

So this means that if we get a fixed mag California receiver .............. we can make AR format pistols out of it? Does HPD throw a fit when we register it?

That is correct, I spoke with a SGT. and he was amazed that such a loophole does exsit. They HPD will take you to another room and , You will need to show them the operation of the "PISTOL"

You will need to prove beyond a resonable dought  that it is NOT a :
semiautomatic pistol which accepts a detachable magazine
thus : a single shot, bolt action, permantly fix mag (by welding or silver solder) is acceptable.
I have a copy of the official BATF letterhead  that HPD made a copy of.

that was never a made or registered as a rifle

This is a federal reg. under BATF.  HRS does not cover that.  but yes a virgin reciever.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#3]
How do you get a virgin receiver?  Doesnt HPD require FFLs to register all firearms with them when they arrive?  Does the FFL just have to register the receiver as a pistol instead of a rifle and thats it?  How do I get a BATF letter?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd assume you are not up to speed with Federal Firearms Laws.

ATF P 5300.4 - Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide

ATF P 5300.5 State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms

How do you get a virgin receiver?
You  can make your own  reciever or buy a commercial "Taxed"  reciever (100%) .  However, it must be a "pistol" on your 4473 form.

Doesnt HPD require FFLs to register all firearms with them when they arrive? Does the FFL just have to register the receiver as a pistol instead of a rifle and thats it?
A reciever is nither a Rifle or Pistol. it is registered as " RECIEVER ONLY" at HPD. It must be reg on the 4473.

How do I get a BATF letter?
Write them a letter with your question and wait 3 month for a reply. However, they only address Federal Regulation. Not individual States. You will need to contact the Hawaii Attorney General Office for State Laws. (they do not reply)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a million for your quick response SUKA.  I have something to think about now for my next AR build.  Maybe a FAB10 receiver would be just the ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top