Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 11:37:28 PM EDT
Am going TDY in about a week and was wondering if there were any limitations to a new long arm following me back home?  I have heard when you buy in HI you have to fill a form out with HPD first, but what if you purchase back in CONUS and bring one back with you?  G to G, or a no-no?  I would comply with the registration within 72 hours thing when it got here of course...  

Copperhead
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Just have it in a Locked Case along with you on your Commercial Airline flight.
Reg'd it with HPD after arrival.

HRS 134-2(f):
"In all cases where receipt of a firearm is had by mail, express, freight, or otherwise from sources without the State, the person to whom the permit has been issued shall make the prescribed entries on the permit, sign the permit in ink, and cause the permit to be delivered or sent by registered mail to the issuing authority within forty-eight hours after taking possession of the firearm."
HRS 134-3(a):
"Every person arriving in the State who brings or by any other manner causes to be brought into the State a firearm of any description, whether usable or unusable, serviceable or unserviceable, modern or antique, shall register the firearm within three days after arrival of the person or of the firearm, whichever arrives later, with the chief of police of the county of the person's place of business or, if there is no place of business, the person's residence or, if there is neither a place of business nor residence, the person's place of sojourn........."

Call HPD and ask about the precise procedure. Most Mainland Military Families bring their Firearms this way to the Islands

18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29, 178.38
"A person may only buy a firearm within his own State except that he may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a  licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and  the State where the purchaser resides."

Notice it says from a "licensee's premises"; you cannot obtain it thru gift or private transfer. Also, it must be legal in BOTH States. Some states do not allow non resident purchases.

Transportation of firearms, "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

This is a preemptive law -- local and state governments cannot take this right away from you, the Federal law preempts all local and state governments

Also, call and visit the specific Airline you are taking. each Airlines has it own policy not nessecary the same as FAA regulations.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Am going TDY in about a week and was wondering if there were any limitations to a new long arm following me back home?  I have heard when you buy in HI you have to fill a form out with HPD first, but what if you purchase back in CONUS and bring one back with you?  G to G, or a no-no?  I would comply with the registration within 72 hours thing when it got here of course...  

Copperhead

Just did this a couple of weaks ago, went to vegas to visit family for my birthday and got a handgun as a gift, brought it back home and went to HPD  the next day and half hour latter I'm all legal and taking gun home.
No 14 day waiting period, no fbi background check, just fill out some forms, finger print and no charge.... good to go.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Wish I got gifts like that, everything I bring over on trips is stuff I already owned.  Im gonna bring my .454 next, I miss it in a fierce way.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Well in my case, I'm not looking to bring a handgun back, just a rifle or maybe an upper - haven't decided yet...  I am looking for a good LTR or maybe a precision upper as a base for a second AR.  Have been saving for this a while and was thinking I was OK, but wanted to make sure.  Am aware of the registration deal as this is my second assignment to HI and have had to register downtown twice now, but I have never purchased anything while stationed in HI and wanted to make sure I still wasn't requred to get HPD permission to bring something back to the Islands.  Thanks for the help guys.

Copperhead
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Second time for you too, gonna do it a 3rd?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Second time for you too, gonna do it a 3rd?

Not voluntarily - while we love it here, it just couldn't be any farther from our families (except maybe the ROK).  We have never been stationed anywhere near the Grandparents since my first child was born which makes it hard on everyone, especially around the holidays...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#7]
All my family is in the midwest, but my wife's family is here.  She is in agreement not to move back here again, which is fine by me.  Alaska is next on my menu.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top