Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 1:22:41 PM EDT
As much as I hate hot clammy weather, Mexico sure does sound nice right about now.
Temperature was -45 at my house this morning at 9:00 AM
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
As much as I hate hot clammy weather, Mexico sure does sound nice right about now.
Temperature was -45 at my house this morning at 9:00 AM

Yes, Mexico sounds very good right about now. Just got back from Fairbanks...trucks suspension really is rough at this temperature.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I kinda like pulling out of my driveway and yelling "YABADABADOOO!!!!!" as I go bumping down the street.

My wife carpools with me in the morning and doesn't think its funny.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Man...my first winter off slope in seven years and I simply do not miss the ultra cool of.  Homer was somewhere about 0 thist morning and will get up into the teens later during the day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
22 below in Kenai this morning, how invigorateing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a brisk 79 here, I sure am glad Ive got a long sleeve ABDU top to keep me warm...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah the airport range was real fun last week.  got frostbite on my nose.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]
It's only -23 here right now but we just went through a mild windstorm hitting close to 60mph for a couple days.  The wind broke the NDB antenna, thank jimminy cricket planes use GPS these days.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Its a brisk 79 here, I sure am glad Ive got a long sleeve ABDU top to keep me warm...

Yes, but my down parka can easily conceal my Glock with a 15 round magazine
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#9]
-47 today

50 below here we come

Weather Channel shows that it may hit -1 by Feb 4th
Cold Cold weather through next week
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#10]
A tropical -5 F for the last few days here in Skankorage. Al Gore, save us from global warming!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#11]
man , thats some seriously cold weather. I have to ask , do you have problem starting your cars in the morning ? Do you have to take special precautions to get it started?

thx
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]
-25 in Soldotna. We have block heaters on our cars here. It's still a pain in the ass to get the thing started. Mine grunts for a minute or two. My damn landlord only keeps the power on outside for an hour in the morning from 5-6! The worst thing is having the door locks freeze open.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
man , thats some seriously cold weather. I have to ask , do you have problem starting your cars in the morning ? Do you have to take special precautions to get it started?

thx

in Fairbanks we have block heaters, oil pan heaters, battery blanket, and some get a tranny heater.  My car stays plugged in anytime it isn't running.  I usually let the car run a few minutes before I go anywhere.  Some people put blankets on the hood of their car but I haven't seen what the advantage of that is supposed to be.

of course its not that cold right now the time and temp sign at the bottom of the hill to get on campus reads +2 if you can see it through the ice fog.

(anytime it gets colder than -42 the sign swithces to positive numbers for some reason.)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

thx

Yes the cold is very hard on cars.
Tires actually freeze in a non round shape and until the warm will give you asomewhat bumpy ride.  Another problem occurs when the metal of the rim shrinks from the cold.  This can cause the bead to break if the tires are spun and cause a flat tire.  Ever tried to change a tire at -40.  It just sucks.  Its not if you get frostbite, its how bad.
Cars must be plugged in or the will freeze up without doubt. At this temp, I rty to keep my car plugged in all of the time when it is stationary.  I let mine warm up for 10 minutes or so before driving it.  50 cents worth of gas sure as hell beats a trip to the repair shop.
Plastic and rubber lose all elastictiy, so CV joing are notorius for failure.

Ever shot a gun at 40 below, I have.  

At this temperature you can throw a cup of hot coffee (or any other hot beverage) in the air and it will freeze and crystalize prior to hitting the ground.  Hum...I wonder if piss will freeze as it comes out the pipe.

The weird thing is, once it hits -20 or colder it doesnt feel any different to me.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#15]

The weird thing is, once it hits -20 or colder it doesnt feel any different to me.

Same here. After -20 it's just COLD.

We got off work early last night because it hit -50 out at Eielson. I can see that happening again tonight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I hear the poor bastards at the gun range today doing qualifications.

Holy shit that must be miserable
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had most the week off because of the cold, I think it warmed up to -10 today. Putting up steel buildings just isnt fun in the winter.  Our cut-off is -10, but I think the boss is more concerned with the equipment than our fingers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I honestly don't see how you guys live up in Fairbanks.  We've got a Detachment up there and I've got to spend a week up there, here and there...  -50, that's freakin' nuts.

Speaking of nuts.  We flew a gun line last winter at -35.  We had the windows open and the guns slung.  I was sitting as far up and out of the wind as I could on that flight.  I think that's the coldest I've ever been.  The next day all us "E's" mutinied…  We told the pilots that they can fly their gun line but we weren’t going to sling the guns and shoot.  We canceled the flight due to weather.  I think the pilots learned that day to never underestimate the power of the enlisted force.

~Dg84

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I hear the poor bastards at the gun range today doing qualifications.

Holy shit that must be miserable

Theyre pretty lenient as to what you wear as far as face masks and such, arent they?  As long as it isnt too windy it wouldnt be that bad.  I dont think Ive been in -20 since I was in high school, never done -40 before.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Hmmm.  Cheer up uafgrad, I see it's warmed up to -44 at the moment.  Advisories for freezing fog / ice fog.  It is cold when  you see that people.  Then sometimes there is an inversion layer over Fairbanks and all the automotive emmissions would just hang around in a low layer.  Square tires.

Our Fort Yukon station was enjoying -60.  Coldest place I have ever been , -77 one year.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#21]
It's back to minus 20 around the Kenai area, I think I will shoot the BeoWulf tomorrow to see how it runs in the cold.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#22]
16 right now . I don't think we broke zero yet this year with out windchill .

Time to break out the flip flops and board shorts eh?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#23]
What is freezing fog, like snow but smaller?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What is freezing fog, like snow but smaller?

Looks just like regular fog, only colder. It was bad driving home to day zero visibility.  -55 on the sign when I went in to town yesterday.

This was a couple years ago but you can see the fog in it.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-4/691371/cold.JPG
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#25]
We had -75 a couple times when I lived in McGrath, at the other end of 'town'  it was -80. After a day or two of that -40 is a gift from God!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#26]
The crazy thing

F'ing parents let their kids out of the house with no coat wearing flip flops.
I gave one of the girls shit about flip flops, her response "I'm wearing socks"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Been a balmy zero here in Seward.  Glad I am out of Kenai....I hated the wind out where I was at there off of Beaver Loop.

Sold my property there this week.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:39:10 AM EDT
[#28]
55 below in downtown Fairbanks today
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:59:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
55 below in downtown Fairbanks today

Not my fault.  

So, uh, tell me about global warming.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#30]
news-miner said that as of yesterday we had averaged 19 below and if it satys this way it will be the 3rd coldest month in the last 35 years.  In 1906 it averaged 36 below for all 31 days.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok, What I want to know is where are all those friends and relatives that are always calling and saying "it's colder here than in Fairbanks"!!??!! NOT  TODAY !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top