Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 5:49:23 AM EDT
I've alway wonder that. HI has about 12/12 day/night light and no DaySavingTime.
Been up as far North as New England area during the summer with sunlight still avaiable till 10pm.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, but it's more pronounced the farther north you go.  During midummer, 5am and 5pm seem almost indistinguishable on the north slope.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
In Fairbanks, dark is about twilight for everyone else.  We dont ever get the true black as night skies because of the reflection off of the snow.  In the summer yes there are stretches where you would never know what time it was without a watch
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In Fairbanks, dark is about twilight for everyone else.  We dont ever get the true black as night skies because of the reflection off of the snow.  

In the summer yes there are stretches where you would never know what time it was without a watch

Isnt that great though? It was my first summer up here this year and after a 2 day stretch during mid summer I finally went sleep. I wasnt tired, but I knew I needed to sleep. The longest I can remeber being awake for one stretch. I love AK
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to work in Barrow.  There the sun set on the 19th of November, and did not rise again to break the horizon until Jan 22.  Near the beginning and the end there is some dusk light.  However, the sun doesn't fall below horizon from 11 May to August 2nd.  In my home town of Fairbanks, the light just dimms for a period but otherwise 24/day, and that's a lot of trigger time! Makes for some giant sized produce.  Some people keep going for 3 or 4 days continuosly without sleep then drop hard.  When it's light out all the time you want to just keep going and going, but you pay for it eventually.  The long dark depresses me and most people to some extent.  The sun does not go east-west in the traditional manner, it has southerly exhaggeration.  Somedays you can look at the sun and the moon is still in the sky and it's very bright.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't get the 24 hour stuff here , but it still gets a little weird compared to down south .
I am kind of afraid to go to much farther north as I still get SAD here preaty bad . I seem to be adapting though as I have noticed every year it is a little better than the last .
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I cant wait to get there, re-upping to come back to Hawaii was a mistake that Ill have to live with for at least 30 more months....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in Fairbanks. There is nothing better than coming home from work at 2:00 AM and hoping on the 4-wheeler and going for a drive.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top