Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 5:13:20 AM EDT
I'll be moving to Kodiak this summer and was wondering how many people fish from kayaks there?  And what kind of kayaks are used there, sit on tops, or sit insides?  Here in Texas sit on tops are standard for fishing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Homer has a big kayak get together in May that you should checkout.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Alot of kayaks in the Kodiak area but I haven't seen many people fishing from them.  Most of the fish here are big enough that unless you are really good at both fishing and kayaking it might not be all that fun to try and reel one in.
I don't know what you are planning to fish for but sometimes you don't get what you are after.  For example, rock bass are not all that hard to fish for but sometimes you run into a 20+ lb lingcod or an even larger halibut.  I was gigging for bass when I hooked into a 70+ lb halibut.
Not to say it can't be done but make certain you are good at kayaking.  If you are after pinks they are prety easy from a kayak and fun but not much good eating.

I've not seen many sit on tops here.  My impression is that they are actually not quite as safe and the water here is VERY cold.  It would be a good idea to learn the eskimo role if you don't know how already.  Practise alot, when you hot that cold water everything is going to go right out the window unless you are very practised.
This is just my opinion, some of it might be right some of it might be wrong.
Hope it helps,
Josh
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
In my ten years here I have never seen any one fish from a Kayak . You can't really get the to the good secret spots with out wanting to die from dragging it there by hand . Beside that the better spots are easy to get to by foot . If you are going to net fish a little nine foot Lund and 5hp will be all ya need (50 a day tops). But there are a few people that Kayak for fun . I am not one of them .

All that out of the way prepare for sticker shock buddy .
If you are renting I hope for your sake you are active duty .Civvies get screwed because the owners know what the CG will pay you for rent and charge that or a little more .

Getting your guns here can be fun . Don't bother going through Canada with them as they keep making it harder and harder . Your moving company might take them ( They would only take long guns for me .)All of my hand guns I flew with from SEATAC.That is also where the POV was shipped from .

Reloading your own would be a good thing to do here cause ammo costs a bunch of cash up here . Best prices are Bear Country and wally world depending on what it is .I don't know for sure any more but last I heard the exchange had some kind of back door deal of keeping the ammo prices right around the same as town . Ya might save some tax , but that is about it .

The local ranges are maintained by KISA( Kodiak Island Shooting Association) No RO for the outdoor ranges , but a key or buddy with a key is needed . The indoor range is handgun only and has strange hours with a few more bucks in fees when you use it .In the dead of winter with snow you need a 4x4 to get to either range . NRA membership is a must and it comes to about $60 a year total for membership plus key . There are plenty of other places you can shoot , but technically it isn't legal . I haven't gotten word back yet on tanerite , but I have a feeling KISA is going to say no . There are a few Hi power matches a year and some Jr matches . Being from Texas maybe you can help me get some CAS action going on up here .

Gas is running just shy of $3 a gallon right now .Best eating in town is the Chartroom , but I am biased a little .The Mecca sucks and is expensive but is the only place in town you can take a girl to dance so your SO will drag you there probably . A few of the bars still have a locals slant to them but show up a few times with a local and you become family if ya know what I mean .

If you are going to do net gun orders the place to go through is Bear Country . No one else will do them .If ya have any other questions well I'm right here .

Congrats on finally moving to the largest state in the union .
And in my opinion the most beautiful part of it .
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
From my ex0perience people more use kayaks to haul gear and hike from the beach.  If you hook a halibut from a kayak, you've got a whole host of problems you're not likely to solve except by cutting it free.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replys guys!  I guess shark fishing from a kayak is going to be a thing of the past for me .  But maybe I could work my way up to halibut a little at a time.  Going for a Nantucket sleigh ride is going to be missed
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
One more thing . If you have the weight and space bring at least one set of new tires for your vehicle . Crap tires run about $70 a pop here and the road is not paved all the way and is murder on tires .
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#7]
It's just plain hard on vehicles period.  There's something I call Kodiak Cancer (rust).  Even if you aren't near the ocean, many of our roads in town are salted which rots the hell out of your car.  Then take the super cold and quite warm cycles, ever year up here is like 4 or 5 on your vehicle.  Change/clean your air filter often.  I don't know about Kodiak, but in the central region, if you can't plug your car in, forget about using it in the winter.  Being in Fairbanks, I use freeze plugs/block heater, battery heater plate, battery heater blanket, and oil pan heater.  Leather is not very welcome on your seats, cloth or sheep skin covers are preferred.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.yakfishalaska.com/kayaks_and_gear.htm

http://www.sitnews.us/0904news/092004/092004_halibut.html

This thread reminded me of a news article I'd read.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never had to plug a car in here .

And yea they all have variouse stages of Cancer . No point in buying a "new" car here , but there are a few weird cars on island .
There is a cherry old coupe .
There is the Delorean .
And a Ford Model A . But that one is down right now .
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Things are looking up!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll be moving to Kodiak this summer and was wondering how many people fish from kayaks there?  And what kind of kayaks are used there, sit on tops, or sit insides?  Here in Texas sit on tops are standard for fishing.

I did a ton of paddling around Fairbanks. In fact I built a tandem sea kayak in my basement there.  We paddled any flatwater within striking distance we had time for. Only paddled the coast a couple times and didn't fish there. Did fish the lakes, but "fighting" a burbot or lake trout isn't that challenging.  

I would suggest some charter fishing and getting familiar with what you might hook into.  There is no way in hell you are going to pull in a big halibut or ling cod from a kayak, just the weight of the fish alone would sink a lot of kayaks.  Building a decent rowboat would allow you to still paddle while staying high and dry out of the water.  A big fish could still pull enough for some major excitement.

A sit on top would be miserable in the cold water.  Tucked in your spray skirt with submersion gear is where you want to be.  Read Deep Trouble and search local newspapers for kayak stories.  At least one bonehead got themselves killed from hypothermia every year I lived there.  The tides and winds off the glaciers are fatal to the unprepared.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top