Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 10:25:09 AM EDT
Sometime after the new year I plan on getting a suppressor for my AR.  I want something that utilizes the barrel threads so that I can toss it on a P22 if I feel like it.  Where can I find a dealer in Fairbanks, and how much do they charge to do the transfer if I need to order one?  Also how hard is it to get the CLEO sign off and what exactly does the interview consist of?  This will be my first Class 3 purchase so if I ask any dumb questions just tell me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If you live inside of the city, you will take your paperwork down to FPD and drop it off.  I have not had one signed since Dan Hoffman took over as Chief.  The one that I did drop off was when Scooter Welch was still Chirf, took him forever (he had issues going on as it was right before he was removed as Chief) but there was no interview.

If you live outside of the city you just drop it off at AST.  Mine was done same day.  No interview.  I had everything including a photocopy of my ADL and ACHP with my packet in a big brown envelope.  

Piece of cake.

Talk to AKMike as he has many cool tools plus his partner makes suppressors.
Good luck
Chris
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Chris, if you don't mind me asking, who'd you go through to get your items?

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Soon after Scooter left, I had one signed off by the deputy director who was in and out of his office so much that I never did get an interview but he took pity on me as I was leaving town after the two weeks I gave him to let me get an interview and he signed off.  I hadn't heard transfers were being held up, I'll look into it.

I can recommend Steve Colbach, the C3 who got me started, he's in Fox or my partner Robert (Bob) Klauka, a C2 who can do custom orders, build suppressors, thread, whatever - as long as he is in town and has time (his normal job is with DOT out of town).  There are other dealers as well.  Both guys are in the phonebook.

-Mike

Remember, if they have stopped signing, you can form a corporation which requires no signatures but comes with it's own conditions.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Chris, if you don't mind me asking, who'd you go through to get your items?

The first one I ordered from Chris Mannino
The second one I ordered and had Chris Mannino do transfer for me

I ran into him in the store yesterday and he told me he has some cans in stock

His business is Arms and Equipment
I will tell you this...
Chris is either a like him or hate him guy.  If you ask 20 people in Fairbanks, you will get 20 different opinions.  He has never done me wrong, in fact he has done me right.  I would give my endorsement for him.
If you want to contact him send me an email with what you are looking for and I will forward it to him
Chris
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Mike, Chris thanks now all I have to do is figure out what exactly I want and get the money together.

Mike I think I have to hold you responsible for any money I spend on it since I have been dwelling on it since you let me shoot your "quite" toys
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]

I also recommend Chris Mannino - I didn't mention his name because I thought he was in North Pole but I was mistaken.  Chris usually has the nice NFA display at the gun shows and is also our local explosives guy.  If you think I'm bad, you should check out the hardware he is in possession of.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I had Chris's card from a show but lost it.  I know someone else who has purchased from him and was happy with his purchases.

Chris I emailed you what I am looking for.

Right now I am not sure if I should go with 5.56 to use on my AR and a 22 or if I should get a 22 can and then later get a 5.56.   I am sure I will end up with both its more a question of which one first...

ETA: If someone is in another city does that mean I can't go through them?  Like if someone was in Anchorage and had what I wanted I couldn't drive down and get it through them?  Just curious because of what you said about not recommending Chris because you thought he was in North Pole.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I made a separation in dealers because you specifically asked for Fairbanks.  As long as they are in the state and can ship directly to you I don't think it makes a difference but some people are in the bush where they cannot get their firearms shipped to.

I strongly recommend you get separate cans and that the rimfire can have the ability to be disassembled.  Rimfire is very, very dirty and builds up lead as well as fouling.  It's very difficult to remove lead chemically and though you can run .223 through the can and heat it up, blowing out much of the lead, I find that depending on the design some of the lead will remain in the baffles, some worse than others.  If you have so much lead that it gets in the path of the bullet you are probably going to experience a baffle/endcap strike, damaging your can.

For a .22 rimfire, I went with an SRT Commache.  I need a can capable of full auto.  It disassembles with the baffle stack kept in one piece making it easier to remove and install, especially when there is lead build up (I don't have to knock out each baffle separately).  It's small enough that it may be used on a pistol.  My partner Bob Klauka still has it (I haven't had it transfered yet) and he can demo it to you if you like, it's threaded the same as an AR (1/2x28 IRRC).  I intend to use it on my full auto rimfire upper and a M11 rimfire conversion.

I think you will really enjoy a rimfire can more.  It really is quiet.  Shooting the .223 suppressed just takes away the boom but leaving the sonic crack as you remember, as well as blasting your face with gas.  Of course by all means - get a .223 can!  But people seem much more impressed with a rimfire can.

You can use the .223 can for rimfire, but don't go too many rounds before cleaning it, and try to blow out the lead by heating up the can with .223 (after checking the baffles for lead obstructions) often.  With some manufacturers you can send the can back to for complete cleaning but there is the cost of shipping as well as the hassle.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Mike
Ran into Chris

He told me he just got a Cheyenne Tactical 408(?) Chey Tac with can

I cant wait until he takes that one out

Says it is quieter than you would ever imagine

Chris
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Most quiet I ever heard from an AR (non-rimfire) was a suppressed .300 Whisper, all you could hear came from the recoil spring.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Most quiet I ever heard from an AR (non-rimfire) was a suppressed .300 Whisper, all you could hear came from the recoil spring.

So what are you waiting on???
You don't have one yet
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Chris, Chris emailed me last night I am going to call him tonight and talk to him.

I think I will follow Mike's advise and go with a .22 can to start with and then get another can  for my AR later or a .22 upper.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey Chris, Chris emailed me last night I am going to call him tonight and talk to him.

I think I will follow Mike's advise and go with a .22 can to start with and then get another can  for my AR later or a .22 upper.

Thanks for the help guys.

Thats what I did, started with 22can

Just keep in mind that every time you get a new can it is +$200 on top of the can (tax)

So if you know what you want, you might be better off dropping the coin and getting it to start.
I was not really impressed with the 223 cans, probably because I already had a 22 can.  A 22 can is probably as close to Hollywood quiet as you can get.
Chris will probably take you out and let you shoot some different things, just ask him.

By the way, I have a 9mm suppressed upper if you know of anyone who might be interested
Chris
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what are you waiting on???
You don't have one yet

I don't even have a 9mm or 7.62x39 upper yet

I'm waiting on the money fairy to come and bless me.  I'm actually thinking of selling more firearms and consolidating .  I'm actually pretty jazzed, I just arranged to have all my debt gone in about 10 months.  After that, the possibilities are wild!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm actually thinking of selling more firearms and consolidating

Send me a list
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Alaskagrown

What did you decide?
Chris
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I decided I am going to look into a .22 can not sure what yet.  Chris was busy last night so I didn't have a chance to talk to him.  He is going to send me links to some manufacturers he likes to deal with and let me check thos out first.  I'm not in any rush since I won't have the money together until after the new year, I gotta offload a couple things first.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are going with a 22 rimfire can, let me offer this...

There are a couple of different companies that make them to scre into your barrel not onto your barrel.
When mounted it looks like you have a long bull barrel.  I have a Ruger Mark II and a 10/22 both threaded this way and it is a slick set up.

if you want to play with mine, let me known and we can meet at the range at some point.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Well here's an update.  I met up with Chris and have decided to go with the Outback II so now it just needs to be ordered and then the fun waiting stuff begins.

By the way, I have a 9mm suppressed upper if you know of anyone who might be interested
Chris

who made it, price, etc.?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top