Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 12:30:33 AM EDT
Here are some videos we shot while experimenting to prepare for da big bomb - a 40lb Tannerite charge enhanced with petroleum.  We haven't shot da big bomb yet but if you want to see some basic Tannerite going off as well as a few minor fireball successes...

Bandwidth warning - these are large files 5+ MB to 20MB

First try - no fire! www.grimsfort.com/files/shooting/Da%20Bomb/P8220003.MOV

Second try - Fire!!!  www.grimsfort.com/files/shooting/Da%20Bomb/P8220005.MOV

This is how you miss!  www.grimsfort.com/files/shooting/Da%20Bomb/P8220006.MOV

BUWAHAHA!  I was laughing internally as Funwand did the duty (I am the asshat who is narrating the video clips).  To be honest, his rifle was only roughly sighted in earlier in the day, hillbilly style - minute-of-tin can.  Don't let the lighting fool you!  It was actually quite dark but the camera made it seem light.  It was so dark the flares were bright enough to obscure the targets.  This taught us to place the flares strategically to allow sighting of the bombs.  The flares could not be next to the bombs as the Tannerite would blow them out before they could ignite the gas cloud, yet too far away and the flame would be to far away to touch the fuel vapor.  It was tricky, so we used two flares when we could, just to be sure.

The last one, and the best and biggest one of the lot! www.grimsfort.com/files/shooting/Da%20Bomb/P8250001.MOV

You hear me say "Disappointment!" at the end of the clip.  This is because we were truly hoping for a LOT more fireball.  This was done at night simply for the reason we had to wait each time until everyone had left the range (cause we forgot our ski masks).

Okay, taking a break to break in Funwand's rifle and his new Beta C-Mag.  This is my lower which has an MGI rate reducing buffer in it.  Note how during the dump the rate of fire changes.  We are using Wolf ammo.
www.grimsfort.com/files/shooting/Da%20Bomb/P8250015.MOV

Our mutual friend taking a go at it, inserting a dramatic pause.  This is a test - if you count the rounds you will find we are not really shooting 100 rounds, more like 90+ as the first few were causing problems in the new C-Mag.
www.grimsfort.com/files/shooting/Da%20Bomb/P8250017.MOV

Here's a shot at the boys mixing up the Tannerite in a big plastic tupperware to make it easier.
www.grimsfort.com/files/shooting/Da%20Bomb/P8250018.MOV

My own play with the C-Mag.  You will notice the muzzle wandering around.  This is not from recoil!  I was intentionally spraying it around for fun.  Okay, okay - the truth is we had a few Tannerite charges on top and around the box I was shooting at and with the dust I couldn't see them so I just started to spray everywhere (and hit NONE of them, damnit!).  With the MGI buffer it would have been easy to keep the rifle steady and on target but when shooting a C-Mag, one tends to get bored with that and instead spreads the lead.
www.grimsfort.com/files/shooting/Da%20Bomb/P8250019.MOV

No, the single shot at the end wasn't me shooting our friend when I realized he just wasted the rest of the video memory space on my camera cause he wasn't fully sure how to operate it.  I was thinking about it though.

If you want to see some media taken from AMGA (Alaska Machine Gun Association) at the 2004 Anderson (where I took two of three champion trophies ) or the 2005 Whittier shoot, go here and snoop around.
www.grimsfort.com/files/shooting/
Nothing breathtaking but what else you got to do?

Thanks to Funwand for hosting the media.  When we do da big bomb, we'll be sure to post the video.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You guys know how to have fun.  Have to add firing a full auto weapon to the list of things to do before I move off this earthly plane.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice to see you got some of your videos up Mike!!

The "videos" that we took the day that I came to the range really didn't come out as well as I thought they might. Seems the camera's frame rate was too slow to really capture the Tannerite blast like it should have ...hopefully when your down here next summer i'll have a real camcorder.

I just picked up a new toy from ProTec...let me know what you think

-Derek
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Derek, I saw that the day it came in and Bill had said someone had bought it.  Nice!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Shweet!!!

I was waiting for Bill to get in a Barrett M82A1M (M107) but it was sold long before it ever got there, which it didn't - it was shipped direct to a customer in the lower 48.

I'm assuming the rifle in the picture is .50BMG or is it .338 Lapua?

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]
.50 BMG

Derek, I saw that the day it came in and Bill had said someone had bought it

Yeah I guess Bill had it on order for about 10 months. I put money down on it in early september so I only had to wait a month. I was talking with him about how I wanted one...and he said that he just so happen to have one inbound...it was near perfect timing. Now I just need a scope.

-Derek
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
And ammo...  Almost all my ammo (1300 rounds in every flavor) is sitting in Texas waiting to be shipped up.  You can be our EOD guy that hits the Tannerite.  That should do it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
And ammo...  Almost all my ammo (1300 rounds in every flavor) is sitting in Texas waiting to be shipped up.  You can be our EOD guy that hits the Tannerite.  That should do it.

lol...right on

I want to get a Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest to sit on top...it could/should take care of Tannerite up to 1000 yards away

Damn...hope next summer comes fast!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol...right on

I want to get a Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest to sit on top...it could/should take care of Tannerite up to 1000 yards away

Get the NXS, IMHO a much better scope.  I have the NXS in 5.5-22 if you want to try it.  You also might consider the 8-32.  I had the 8-32 and noticed that the mirage got really bad when you started getting up in the 30's.  Like I said, you are welcome to play with my 5.5-22

Chris
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll second the NXS - that would be my choice to top a .50BMG.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol...right on

Get the NXS, IMHO a much better scope.  I have the NXS in 5.5-22 if you want to try it.  You also might consider the 8-32.  I had the 8-32 and noticed that the mirage got really bad when you started getting up in the 30's.  Like I said, you are welcome to play with my 5.5-22

Chris

Chris

I would like to take you up on that offer... it would be nice to see the scope before I put down the $1,300 or so for it. I am going to be out of town starting tomorrow night for a Caribou hunt south of  Prudhoe Bay, and will be returning Sunday night. Perhaps next weekend?

_Derek
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#11]
When I used to work in Prudhoe Bay at our Oliktok station (near the Colville River), it was prime grounds for hunting the bou.  5 a day, every day and since we are on federal property - we could bring guns and liquor through the oil fields and hunt on our land road or no.  It was not unheard of to take one from one's bedroom window...

They are small but when the heards of many thousands rolled through you got your pick of the litter, you just had to be carefull not to shoot too many with a single shot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunitely I returned with nothing. There were TONS of Caribou...but they were only 2 miles off the road. We were hunting rifle so we had to hike out 5 miles before we could start looking to shoot one. It was probably one of the longest and hardest hikes that I have done. Tundra SUCKS to walk on!!! Looks like its time to take up bow hunting so I can walk off the road and shoot.

It was not unheard of to take one from one's bedroom window...

Only in Alaska, his place is awesome!

-Derek
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top