Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 5:41:38 PM EDT
I've heard this on a lot of cooking shows.  They even had Spam 'sushi'.  Just curious.

Some interesting Spam facts:

The deep, dark truth about Spam. Also some nifty trivia. Impress your friends and relatives!

1. Ingredients:
         * Chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added.
         * Salt (for binding, flavour, and firmness)
         * Water (to help in mixing)
         * Sugar (for flavour)
         * Sodium Nitrite (for colour and as a preservative)
     Yum yum!

2. Nutrition Information For SPAM (original style):
         * Calories Per Serving: 170
         * Calories Per Serving From Fat: 140
         * Serving Size: 2 oz.
         * Servings Per Container: 6 (large) or 3.5 (small)
         * Total Fat: 16g
         * Saturated Fat: 6g
         * Cholesterol: 40mg
         * Sodium: 750mg
         * Total Carbohydrates: 0g
         * Fiber: 0g
         * Sugars: 0g
         * Proteins: 7g
         * Vitamin A: 0%
         * Vitamin C: 0%
         * Calcium: 0%
         * Iron: 2%
     Deee-licious!

3. Nifty Spam Trivia!
         * By World War II, Hormel had sold twenty thousand tons of Spam. Then, during the wartime meat rationing, Spam got popular...
         * If all the cans of Spam ever eaten were put end-to-end, they would circle the globe at least ten times.
         * In the U.S. alone, 3.8 cans of Spam "are consumed every second"(assuming SPAM is eaten 24 hours a day, 365.25 days a year).
         * Senator Robert Byrd of West Viginia eats a sandwich of SPAM and mayonnaise on white bread three times a week.
         * Residents of Hawai'i eat an average of four cans of SPAM per person per year, more than in any other place on Earth (Elsewhere in the Universe, who knows?).
         * By 1959, a billion cans of SPAM had been sold. The two billion mark was hit in 1970, followed by three billion in 1980, four billion in 1986, and five billion in 1993. That's a lot of SPAM!
         * In Korea, SPAM is sold in stylish presentation gift boxes of nine cans each. SPAM stolen from army PXs can be found on the Korean black market. And there are Korean imitations called Lo-Spam, Dak, Plumrose, and Tulip, to ensure that no one need go without.
         * Nikita Krushchev once credited SPAM with the survival of the WWII Russian army. ''Without SPAM, we wouldn't have been able to feed our army,'' he said.
         * SPAM is sold in over 99% of U.S. grocery stores.
         * The SPAM luncheon meat trademark is registered in 93 countries.
         * Over 60 million people in the U.S. eat SPAM.
         * SPAM is made in two U.S. locations - Austin, Minnesota, and Fremont, Nebraska - and seven other countries: England, Australia, Denmark, Phillipines, Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea.
         * In 1989, the U.S. armed forces bought 3.3 million pounds of SPAM.
         * Over 141 million cans of SPAM are sold worldwide each year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Its actually a product that just is consumed and has been a tradition, without much marketing. The salty taste of Spam goes well with rice and the local population. ( which could be directly related WW2 rations and imagrantes from occupied Asia)

Hawaii has also the highest majority population of Asian American exceding the Cuacasion in all the 50 States. Which could also explain the high Spam sales.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Here in Alaska we like it too.  I just fixed some patato soup and added a little Smoked Spam for flavor.  IT is also put away in my SHTF kit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a local food item called "Spam Musubi".  Take a cube of clumped together rice, place a slice of Spam on top of it, and wrap it in dried up seaweed.  How's that sound?  To me, Spam is one of the nastiest foods in the world.  Of all the cases of food poisoning I've heard of here in Hawaii, 90% have been due to Spam Musubi.  People make a couple of Spam Musubi in the morning, wrap them in seran-wrap, and take them with them to eat as snacks later in the day.  The Spam Musubi end up being left in a hot car for 5 hours in the scorching hot Hawaiian sun and then eaten at 3 in the afternoon.  What follows is usually days of bloody vomit and diharrea and a trip to the ER.  Sounds like fun, huh?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I never tried it until I moved to the U.S.  I've only eaten it fried, put in a sandwich with mustard.  It tastes very good.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was a kid I ate one too many spam musubis in one sitting.  Since then I haven't really been able to really enjoy spam as much as I used to.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
When made properly spam musubi will last.  You need to wash your hands thoroughly and use water w/ salt in it while forming the musubi.  The salt water combined w/ the salty spam will retard bacterial growth and help your musubi last longer,  placing it in the cooler while at the beach will also help.  The salty/fatty taste of the spam contrasts nicely w/ the blandness of the rice.  A few beers on the side also completes the experience.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It's popular with orientals.   In Thailand it's used in quite a few main dishes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Here in Hawaii all of the "locals" have grown up on SPAM and SPAM musubi's. It has your three food groups: meat group, carb group and veggie group here
If you leave any perishable food in your hot car for 5 hours before eat it, you deserve to get sick he
Besides, if you think SPAM is gross wait till you hear about the other foods we eat here hat

Bon apetit
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Spam, eggs, and rice
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#10]
C-4 is that a french lop in your avatar?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Good eats brah.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
 Mc Donalds here has spam, eggs, and rice on the breakfest menu is why

My scientific opinion is that with the high heat and humidity our bodies yern for the sodium? I buy it personally because it lasts forever
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Also good to have a case or two in your hurricane supply kit.  Fried spam and onions then toss in can of tomato sauce and a dash of shoyu.  Ono grinds with rice or poi.
ETA Dash of Tabasco or some chili pepper water.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yes, I believe it is.  This is the second time you ask me this.  It's not mine.  I do keep pet rabbits but I got this pic from a bunny website.  I stole someone else's avatar.  I keep several types.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:48:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Also good to have a case or two in your hurricane supply kit.  Fried spam and onions then toss in can of tomato sauce and a dash of shoyu.  Ono grinds with rice or poi.

That sounds good.  What is shoyu?  Is it something I can find in the foreign foods section here in NH?  They're actually pretty well stocked.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds good.  What is shoyu?  Is it something I can find in the foreign foods section here in NH?  They're actually pretty well stocked.

Shoyu is also called soy sauce.  It is an opaque liquid that has the consistency of water but black like mollassess.  It is basically liquid salt.  In Hawaii, rather than put salt on everything, we put shoyu.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Shoyu is what Japanese call Soy Sauce.  Soy Sauce is what you gaijins call it.

ETA: Eh, typo.  My japanese japanese is better than my english japanese...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I just sent out some spam and local grinds to a friend stationed out in Iraq.  Spam, Li hi mui powder, wasabe penuts, hurricane popcorn.  Gotta keep them supplied.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I believe it is.  This is the second time you ask me this.  It's not mine.  I do keep pet rabbits but I got this pic from a bunny website.  I stole someone else's avatar.  I keep several types.

I know but I lost the thread that I originally asked . I just think it's funny since everyone here seems to like to shoot rabbits. I do have one holland lop that is always curious of my AR15 stuff.

AK_Mike - It's "gaijin."

For the record I just made spam, egg and cheese breakfast burritos the other day. I like cooking with spam because whatever I cook it with I never need to add salt or oil.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Hahah great pic of the bunny

ETA: does he eat spam?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:22:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hahah great pic of the bunny

ETA: does he eat spam?

He probably would. One time when I wasn't looking my friend fed him somefried chicken grrrrrr . If you look closely at the pic you'll see he does eat Aimpoint boxes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw this on discovery channel, no lie. Apperently we also have a warehouse stocked with reserve spam incase normal stocks run out, so we can continue to fill our spam needs
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Really?  A strategic SPAM reserve?  Wow, I feel safer already.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top