Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 8:23:40 PM EDT
Looking to get into shooting black powder.  Do I have to go through an FFL for a pistol/rifle?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so.  Look in the catalogues like basspro, cabelas and stuff.  Pretty sure they ship right to your door.  Now you might have to go register the stuff with the local pd.  Not sure bout that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You dont need an FFL for black powder firearms, not sure about registration although I dont think thats neccessary either.  I would give them a call or ask next time you register a gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Those things look fun.
No FFL needed and No reg needed either::.
HRS 134-3 d (1)

Registration shall not be required for:
(1) Any device that is designed to fire loose black powder or that is a firearm manufactured before 1899;

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
In other words the only things yo register are firearms that fire cartridges, if you load paper cartridges full of black powder technically youre supposed to register it since it is no longer loose powder.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Since it was worded "designed" to fire loose powder. paper cartiage in a designed to fire muzzle loader is still included in the wording under HRS 134-3.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:36:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I might have to place a cabelas order this xmas, gotta love the to me, from me presents...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:43:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Lucky you, You're gonna have to show me how to fire thoose things.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Its not hard, just dont forget to load the powder before the ball, otherwise youll b waiting for a tool in the mail to screw into the ball and pull it out.  Makes for a short range day if you forget it at home or dont buy it, guess how I know...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Black powder is fun as hell and a real challenge, try to find someone who can teach you the basics. Yes no FFL is needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top