Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 1:00:34 PM EDT
Hi guys, I've just applied for a transfer from GA to the great state of Alaska.  I will either be going to Anchorage or Juneau...most likely Anchorage.  I need as much info as you can give me on both places and any knowledge worth having pertaining to life in Alaska.  I am an avid fisherman and hunter and love hiking and kayaking.  Talk to me.  
Thanks in advance for your help
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, good news and bad news

First, Anchorage isnt in Alaska, but the good news is you can get here from there

What do you do?

Chris
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Anchorage is a great place to be from and only 15 minutes from Alaska.  

Welcome and what type of work do you do??
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am an avid fisherman and hunter and love hiking and kayaking.

Hold onto your ass and get ready to be extreme - you are in the right place.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
IM me before you get here.  I'm the local real estate whore  Anchorage is a great place to live, and yes its only a quick trip to Alaska from here!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:52:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey thanks for the encouragement!  I am an Electronics Technician with the good ole US Postal Service.  I don't have the transfer yet but I hope to at least be offered it.  I have backed out of moving to Juneau twice already and kicked my ass for it both times.  I think I am ready to make the move now, though.  I'm getting damned sick and tired of living just on the other side of a thin piece of insulation from hell itself.  It is TOO hot here most of the year.  
Now, how much can I expect to pay to rent or to buy a modest home in a decent neighborhood?  I am a single guy, and from what the girls I'm dating told me when I mentioned moving to Alaska, will be for quite a while longer.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Rents (apartment style) $800-$1,000 for 2bd, 1ba in a nice place
Rents (3 bd 2ba house) $1,500-$2,300 in a nice place
Buy Townhouse (duplex style 3bd 2ba) $215,000 in South Anchorage
Buy Single Family (3bd 2ba) $260,000-$300,000 in South Anchorage
If you want to go higher I'll get into my new construction subdivisions

When you make your decision I'll take care of you.  If you can buy, do it.  Get a condo or something, regardless of what it is buy it.  Our market is very strong and we average 13-16% yearly return on your investment, plus the tax write off of interest.  If you stay for 2 years I can make you some very good $.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
give you an idea ... I live in Eagle River (13miles north of anchorage) .
my 2 BD 1 1/2 bath 2 car garage zero lot I bought it in 1999 for 124 K and when the other half sold in sept it was 174,900 ...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in Fairbanks, but we enjoy the same housing growth.  In 12/04 I bought a house for $135K  3br, 2.5 ba, 2 car gar, 2200+sqft.  It was an estate sale and needed to be completely remodeled.  See slum lord rental.  Anyways, the houses around me that have not been remodeled (built 1977/78) have been selling in the 200K range and the ones that have been updated have been going in the 225-240K range.  If you wait until you get what you want, you can really do well for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I am in Fairbanks also and in 12/04 I bought a 3bedroom 1bath no garage house for 95K we were told by a realtor he would expect it to go for 150K if we sold it now.  If we lived on the other side of the street it would be in the 200K range (damn water front property)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top