Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 10:44:07 PM EDT
It was good day at the range today.  I had forgotten it was Saturday and I was amazed at the turnout at the range today.  Dual rows of parked cars.

I started off at the pistol range as usual, burning through 1500 rounds of rimfire through a 1911 with rimfire conversion kit, and a Kuehl Precision dedicated rimfire upper on my M16.  Occasionally I popped off some .45ACP to break the monotony.

I'm spotted/heard.  A fellow ARFcom brother greets me.  Says he was saving half a case of .223 but is looking at my M16 lower.  The naughty bubbles forth - "be right back".  Runs off to get the half case...

Now over to the rifle range.  Brother comes back with friend, and another ARFcommer w/femme in tow.  I finally get to meet another local ARFcom brother, been looking forward to that for a long while as had he.  One ARFcommer is naughty, but more than one generates spontaneous evil.  Ha ha!  Bring it on!

We are surrounded by hunters sighting in their rifles and a trap shooter who is grinning when we pull out the ordnance.  Dare we disturb the slow gentle serenity of the hunters?  Of course!

I've got my blaster commando barrel, very basic stuff, the others have nice M4geries, one of them tricked out very nicely.  The M16 lower gets passed around.  Much ammo is gleefully wasted.  Even I am plowing through a case of ammo I had intended on hording.  First brother's friend decides he is really liking this (how could he not?).  Second brother's female half records the mongering.  Evil is beginning to rise, nearby shooter is jazzed, we draw scorn from an anal retentive type a little ways away (bonus).  We have crossed the line so out comes the Tannerite.

Mayhem ensues, target stands are blown to smithereens drawing more interest from a few onlookers, jazzed dude is witnessing his own nirvana.  I had a suppressor so we all had to try that in full auto of course.  We smell and feel the burn, literaly, in our eyes.  Sacrifices must be made on occasion. If we drew some dirty looks, no one noticed, we were having too much fun.  How could this be legal?

Media recording devices full, ammo supply dented, starting to get late in the day.  Evil subsiding.  Time to pack up.  I'm thinking my usual finish with a good meal.  Weather was awesome, no mosquitoes.

Another damn fine day if I do say so myself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#2]
AK_Mike you have good over the line.  YOu have had to much time on your hands and need to return to the Slope before you scare all of those HUNTERS away

To bad that I have been missing your shoots.

Shadowblade long time no hear from.  How is the house
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
No mosquitoes?
when I visisted AK (early summer of 1997, it was my graduation gift from my grandparents) I was told they were the state bird

hijack
Lovely state. We took a cruise from Vancouver BC up through the inside passage and stopped in some of those "if it wasn't for the cruise ships stoping here there'd be nothing here" towns that are only accessible by water or air. Stopped in Juneau. I think the final docking location was Seward, then we took a bus to Anchorage and few to Fairbanks. Took the train down through Denali National Park. Took a bus tour in the park and saw a ton of animals. Spent a few days in Anchorage and got to see my dad's cousin that no one in our family has seen in years since he lives so far away. While at a baseball game for the team he coaches/manages (not sure which maybe a little of both) there was a thunderstorm, lightning and all, which he said was rare for AK.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Mike, I don't think I can thank you enough for yesterday. You generously offered not only let me shoot your beautiful M-16, but also let me do it with YOUR ammo. As you could tell I was in nirvana when I was in command of the M16...more so when it was in full auto and suppressed!!

I am officially hooked. The Tannerite was awesome!! It far exceeded what I had previously thought it was...definitely will have to get a case...or 2...or 3

When we got back to the house Jay got the stuck case out of his upper. It seems that the primer blew out. The round did go off so it was just the case that was stuck. I believe he is keeping it as a souvenir.

Thanks again Mike...we'll see you at the range!!!

Remember, I do have the 8 gallons of gas. Just tell me when and where.

-Derek  

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Remember, I do have the 8 gallons of gas. Just tell me when and where.

Evil I tell ya, Evil!  

You are most welcome brother.

That was nothing though, next time we'll organize and prepare for maximum destruction.  I'll bring the rest of the toys, Funwand may show you what it's like to blow a liter or gallon of Tannerite, there will be plenty of ammo to carry on for hours.  We will take over half the range and scare people away (ski masks or no).  I'll even bring drinks.  Think about bringing creative objects to destroy.  If combined shots aren't enough, we will engage the belt fed, tannerite, or both.

I'm even thinking of a wee bit of informal competition like we did at an ARFcom gathering down south last year (thanks Shadowblade!).  A few target stands, some chicken wire, some clays, perhaps bowling pins.

Sorry that meet had to happen on my last shooting day in town.  By Monday I'll be gone and won't return for 4 to 8 months.  I'll be taking much of my time off in town, in the summer.  When I am there, I'll be at the range almost everyday, it's what I do - I'm not a hard man to find.  Just give me a heads up and I can prepare for a most worthy meet.

Sharky30:  They are our state bird and so prevalent that it is of worthy note whether they are present or not, it could make or break the day.  Luckily, while weather and smoke are factors, they do have their season.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry I missed you guys

Have a safe trip "home" Mike

See you on the flip side

Chris
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, thanks again Mike. I wish I could have found the calculator.

As for the stuck case, I removed it with ease. I tossed the little bugger into the woods somewhere to rust. It didn't sway my feelings on Wolf though, I still like it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I remember all the negative (and continuing) posts about Wolf but as cheap as it is as long as it runs, what the hell.  I'm just plinking.  It was interesting to note the malfunctions we were having with different ammo.  I'm still thinking about the causes, I'm rare to experience any so I'm not quite sure what the problems was.  Short stroking?  I would think that the Wolf was weaker than whatever you guys had (PMC?).  Interesting to see problems with the MGI buffer which again takes a bit of the oomph out of the cycle.

Tannerite seemed to working okay, heh.  We should have finished off the case.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Interesting to see problems with the MGI buffer which again takes a bit of the oomph out of the cycle.

WHat kind of problems were you having?  Remember that I finally got my 458 SOCOM to run and then it started having troubles again when I switched to the MGI.  Back to regular buffer and no problems to speak of.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Well done! I bet you infected atleast one hunter with EBR envy!

Wouldn't mind seeing some excerpts of your "media recording devices"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#11]
AKMIKE:
-You sound like a true fellow alaskan, I will have to find you the next time I go up to Anchorage, easy to do it sounds like just follow the full auto fire. I will have to bring my two ar15's with me and we can go go hunt cans. Anytime you are in Juneau come find me and I'll let you play with some toys here, nothing fancy like full auto or suppression, but I have ak's and ar's.
+10 to pissing off the scope shooters, no better way to spend a Saturday in my opinion.
Happy Shooting,
-Tim in Juneau
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

WHat kind of problems were you having?  Remember that I finally got my 458 SOCOM to run and then it started having troubles again when I switched to the MGI.  Back to regular buffer and no problems to speak of.

Chris

Well, it wasn't me so to speak.  My 11.5"s runs Wolf and the MGI in a most awesome manner.  We had problems using it with 20iner's and sledhead907's 14.5" M4 uppers if I recall correctly, using their ammo.  Then I think I had problems with my rig when trying to use their ammo.  So when using their uppers and ammo, I had to swap out the MGI for my standard 'H' buffer.

The MGI also ran sweet with Funwand's 20" upper, made the multiple Beta C-Mag dumps very, very nice.

I was thinking that the ammo they had was a bit underpowered, but then Wolf is supposed to be weak and I was having no problems with it.  I think I was short stroking with their ammo but I'm not entirely sure.

Quoted:

Well, I know we did make a few Tannerite converts for sure

I agree.  Ahem, CALLING FUNWAND!  He working on hosting and posting but he's been busy.

Timinem, you are going to have to go up a little farther, I'm in Fairbanks.  When you approach, you may hear my autofire, or it may be from Ft. Wainwright, so follow the Tannerite booms.  I'll try to add some fireball effects as a visual aid.

Nothing fancy need be brought - it's ALL good!  Heck, I might even bring my muzzle loader!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

Well, it wasn't me so to speak.  My 11.5"s runs Wolf and the MGI in a most awesome manner.  We had problems using it with 20iner's and sledhead907's 14.5" M4 uppers if I recall correctly, using their ammo.  Then I think I had problems with my rig when trying to use their ammo.  So when using their uppers and ammo, I had to swap out the MGI for my standard 'H' buffer.

The MGI also ran sweet with Funwand's 20" upper, made the multiple Beta C-Mag dumps very, very nice.

I was thinking that the ammo they had was a bit underpowered, but then Wolf is supposed to be weak and I was having no problems with it.  I think I was short stroking with their ammo but I'm not entirely sure.

Quoted:

I agree.  Ahem, CALLING FUNWAND!  He working on hosting and posting but he's been busy.

Timinem, you are going to have to go up a little farther, I'm in Fairbanks.  When you approach, you may hear my autofire, or it may be from Ft. Wainwright, so follow the Tannerite booms.  I'll try to add some fireball effects as a visual aid.

Nothing fancy need be brought - it's ALL good!  Heck, I might even bring my muzzle loader!

Thought I'd chime in and tell you they're 16" M4 uppers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

Well, it wasn't me so to speak.  My 11.5"s runs Wolf and the MGI in a most awesome manner.  We had problems using it with 20iner's and sledhead907's 14.5" 16" M4 uppers if I recall correctly, using their ammo.  Then I think I had problems with my rig when trying to use their ammo.  So when using their uppers and ammo, I had to swap out the MGI for my standard 'H' buffer.

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top