User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 12:11:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Sep 1 Duck season starts.  All geared up and ready
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Tourist season is still open, but I am running low on ammo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Chartered a fly-in for north of the Brooks Range for caribou and grizzly bear. Sept 3 - 9.

Yowza, I can't wait
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Leave Thursday to fly out of King Salmon for caribou this week is going to drag by
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Where are you heading out of King Salmon?  Who are you flying with?  I'm going out of King Salmon at the begining of Oct for a trip.  It's the first big game trip with my son.  I can't WAIT!

A couple of years ago we got into 2 groups of around 80 head of bou and a bunch of singles in that area.  The lesson learned from that trip was that bou spend most of their time looking for danger out across the open tundra.  If you approach through the tree cover they're 'blind'.

Pretty crazy that now only one bull can be taken by non-local hunters.  Pretty soon if you don't live in the bush you won't be allowed to hunt.

Thanks,

Matt
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure exactly where I am heading out to.  The pilot is Mike McCrary with Alaska Bush Sports.  We are related through my wifes family and I do some part time work for him.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck!  I'd love to hear a report when you get back.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Definately will do, who are you flying out with?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
We're going with Branch River Air.  The last time we went we were scheduled with C-Air who we had great luck with for brown bear hunting.  C-Air crashed a plane the year we tried to go for caribou (pilot injured, client died).  Apparantly that put them out of business.  They put us on Branch River Air for that trip instead.

I'm really interested where you go for caribou and how far out of KS they are.  I planned my trip really late in the year hoping that caribou form up closer to KS.  They head down south later in the year but the weather can become more exciting.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be hunting the sale ads, as once again this year, hunting season will be yet another opportunity I will miss because of work

Chris
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll be hunting the sale ads, as once again this year, hunting season will be yet another opportunity I will miss because of work

Chris

Dontcha just hate it when work gets in the way of play?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
mwarnick1 - I'll have my GPS with me so I can give you coordinates, not that it will do much good since they can move 70 miles in a day.

Chris - my leave got denied but a kind heartened co-worker said she would pick up slack while I am gone.  my office traditionally has a no leave so don't ask leave policy in August.  it will conveniently slip my mind to tell my boss of the possibility of getting weathered in

OH!!! 27hrs 45min till I leave... not that I am counting or anything
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep - Pretty much a crap shoot.  Who knows when they'll get it into their heads to decide to move?

I learned my lesson on Adak when I tried to run down a group of 8 bou on foot about a decade ago.  I figured it was a relatively small island.  How far would they really go?

Young dumb Marines sometimes have to figure stuff out for themselves. <g>
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Just deer here in town, would love to get my ar a black bear one of these days. Will be taking a trip to Canada for a moose or elk, but unfortunatly my ar will have to stay behind. (Goddamn canadian anti gun laws!)
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Dunno, but I know what Im using.  Still deciding where to go, either AK, WA, or OR.  Would like to go to Canada, but afraid to take my M1A there.  I wanna go for either Caribou or Elk, one this year and the next the other year, then maybe go for bear in the future after I can afford a bigger shooting stick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top