Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 11:43:55 PM EDT
What is the largest amount of caribou that you have seen at once?  Two days ago I saw more than 2000 caribou walking just east of were I was.  They were moving south through the mountains here in Anaktuvuk Pass.  I watched them for more than a half hour before having to return to work.  There were some nice looking bulls in the herd.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]

At Oliktok and Sparrevohn I have seen thousands and thousands.  The runway at Oliktok is of a darker soil thus warmer and it's a mile long.  Every square foot was covered by the bou as well as the surrounding area.  If you were to shoot one, it wouldn't be hard to hit more than one with a single shot.  They covered the area, driven by the mosquitos.  There were easily several thousand and over a period of a week there must have been well over 10,000.  The smallest group was about 200 head.  It was like the ocean ice - one day the sea is full of it and the next it's all gone.  The entire site was covered in bou crap and it made it difficult to walk around.  At Sparrevohn, they covered the mountain and thousands would cross over each day.

I didn't see this every year at Oliktok, but on most.  It all depended on the wind.  If the wind was calm then the herd was driven by the mosquitoes and we saw them.  If the wind was blowing, there was no need for them to come through our area.

The funniest thing I saw was at Sparrevohn when a mechanic was legally hazing a moose that was loitering on the runway.  We must haze them to clear wildlife hazards to make airplane operations safe.  The mechanic launched a 12gauge birdbomb as usual, elevated to explode above and near the moose.  It just so happened to come down and smack it in the ass just as it exploded.  The moose took off running and could be seen running over two separate hills in the distance.

Then there was the baby whale at Point Lay.  Some men where butchering up some of those small whales, can't remember which ones are the real small ones.  We were taping some video of the station and area for the Air Force to be included in an orientation movie.  Blood and whale goo everywhere, clothes are stained with the stuff. A whale get's sliced open and a baby whale fetus spills out onto the floor.  Man reaches down and picks it up saying "that's the best part!" and proceeds to chomp a bite right out of it.  Strangely, the Air Force edited that scene out of the video.  Go figure.

ETA:  The men butchering the whales where local natives, not employees, and it wasn't in one of our facilities.  I guess I stand corrected though perhaps I should have left out the word "local".  If it wasn't a native something hideously illegal occured and was documented.  Are we sure about that?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I am considering a Caribou hunt next year what is a good caribou round? will a 25'06 or 243 WSSM work for Bous? I have heard they die easily and then I have heard they have the hang onto life charicteristics you would expect of African Game
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
AK_Mike I have seen and met those Gov employs and I know that it was not a local that eat that baby whale.   The smaller whales out of Point Do not get layed are Buluga whales and are while in color.  It is one of the cool things to see up here.  I saw a pod of over 100 Bulugas swim along the beach in Barrow this summer.
MTNmyMag you will have to check the regs as to what area you will be hunting in as to when you can hunt and how many you can take.  Up here on Slope you can take one almost any time and up to five a day if you live here.  A 25-06 will knock a bou down hard up here but would be nice to have.  A .243WSSM would be the same as the 25-06.  Most people on Slope use a .243 or 22-250.  Check with a guide as to what to bring for the area.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Artic Bear thanks for the response what does a typical Caribou weigh I have been getting alot of Misinformation
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#5]
It just depends where you are, they can run from 100 to 300 pounds.  Sometimes larger, it just all depends where you hunt.  On slope they are smaller,as you work further south they become larger.  Check with the State Game Departemnt on the Alaska State Gov site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top