Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 1:30:33 PM EDT
Does anyone know if there is a shop in Anchorage that would thread my HK barrel after Monday.  I was thinking Wild West Guns might do it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I know it may take a bit longer and it would cost more but I highly recommend sending it to Gemtech to thread.  Their thread jobs are always flawless and perfectly aligned.  If you are going to mount a can on your barrel, it's usually a good idea to let the can manufacturer to do it as that will help cover you on warranty matters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep,
Gemtch would be allright.  I have decided to get a silencer when I have some extra money.  I was vacillating between a .223 version that I could switch between my Ar and G36 conversion and one in .45 that could go on my UMP conversion and 1911s.   I'm not sure about the legalities of this though.  I think it might mess up the foreign parts counts on my HKs.  And if I do, I will probably SBR my USC first.  I am leaning toward the .45acp version, because I think the supersonic ammo would still be quite loud.

Anyway to send it out of state, would I have to remove the barrel so I would not be shipping a receiver, or is it similar to sending a weapon out for repair?  I think the USC barrel pops right out, but the SL-8 is a little more complex.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no problem shipping the receiver if need be, Gemtech and most others have FFL's so they can receive and return firearms.  If you can just ship a barrel, that's best just to keep the cost down.  I have had to ship entire uppers in the past though, as well as complete firearms for testing purposes on custom jobs.

No HK pistol has been mentioned here - the UMP is a .45 caliber MP5 type.  Barrels are a bitch on HK's to be sure.

ETA:  John Norrel does great work - one of the "go to" guys for HK's but he's usually very busy and at times stops accepting work when his plate is overflowing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#6]
From the info I've seen the barrel on the SL-8 is a little tricky to do without a special tool.  The USC however simply pops out.  There is a drift pin similar to the AR front sight, a swift wack and you get three pieces.  I have been planning on dying the grey receiver black and was figuring to leave the barrel assembled, but many people have told me it is so simple to remove the barrel, I should not even consider leaving it in place.  So while my barrel is out . . .

Shockwave weapons sells a three lug adapter that requires a silver solder connection after turning down the barrel, but I figure threading it like the USP would be best.  I could even use the same thread protector and the skookum flash supressor that's starting to turn up for the USP.

Here's the link to shockwave.

http://www.shockwaveweapons.com/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top