Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2004 1:46:57 AM EDT
That is, assuming you enjoy cold weather and do not mind furry creatures, small, large, and FRIGGIN' HUGE all around.

Oh, and the high cost of living.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 2:39:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Men outnumber women.... I don't remember by how much.
There isn't a whole lot to do up here. That is, if you like city type stuff.
S&H cost's more to get things up here.... Plus I don't think ammunition can be shipped up here?
You'll have to shovel your driveway more times per year than you'll be able to enjoy a nice sunny day.
More people commit suicide up here than any other state (if I remember correctly)... Mainly in rural areas.

If you like the rural life more than the other choices, you'll love AK. Just choose a good place to live.

I love it up here, except for the constant rain we have during our short summer, the inability to travel and other things.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Men outnumber women.... I don't remember by how much.
By alot . But  a playa can still play.
There isn't a whole lot to do up here.
Tons of stuff to do in Alaska .
That is, if you like city type stuff.
Well Ok unless you are in Anchertown  There isn't much of a city life up here.

S&H cost's more to get things up here....
Yep A lot more . In  fact just about  everyone will demand it be shiped 2day or overnight UPS or they won't let you have it .
Plus I don't think ammunition can be shipped up here?
Last I heard you could do it on the mainland , but over  here on the island it  is a  no go unless you ship to a forwarding company in Seatle and let them  barge it up .

You'll have to shovel your driveway more times per year than you'll be able to enjoy a nice sunny day.
 Just  another  excuss we use with the little lady to get the latest 4 wheeler with a plow attachment.
More people commit suicide up here than any other state (if I remember correctly)... Mainly in rural areas.
Sounds right . SAD is some weird shit . I had it preaty bad the first year or two I was up here , but than  again I c ame from Florida to Alaska , and it took a bit of adjusting .Supossedly we  also eat the most  Icecream per captia. The PFD is nice also . Nothing like the state buying you a new AR every year just to live here .
If you like the rural life more than the other choices, you'll love AK. Just choose a good place to live. That about  somes it up . Keep in mind with a lot of the rural  arreas small town politics takes place , and it boils down to more of a who you know over  what you know .

I love it up here, except for the constant rain we have during our short summer, the inability to travel and other things.

I love Alaska , but I am getting tired of  the island .
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
According to my family that lives up there, there is nothing to do but drink and fornicate. But hey, drinking and fornication might be right up your alley.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
According to my family that lives up there, there is nothing to do but drink and fornicate. But hey, drinking and fornication might be right up your alley.

Heh  .  Fishing ,hunting, Hikeing, Bikeing, 4x4ing  for real . Lots of stuff besideds drinking  and fucking , but those two are  a lot  of fun .
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
We go up there on the Steese to hunt. I was born there, but we moved before my first birthday.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#8]
We should really buy some land from Canada so we can ship overland to AK without having to deal with that customs BS.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The three state sports are drinking, fighting, and f'ing.  Often times atleast 2 of the events are held at the same time between the same people.  The vets can pull a trifecta on a good day.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually the cold is the only downside for me that and the ammo prices.  The darkness never got to me but the neverending sun got to me like in Insomnia.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus I don't think ammunition can be shipped up here?
Last I heard you could do it on the mainland , but over  here on the island it  is a  no go unless you ship to a forwarding company in Seatle and let them  barge it up .

Nope, same thing for the mainland.  Sucks big time.

I didn't know that , but it  is good to know for t he future . I am  curently trying to put together a group buy  between myself and a few friends . We  figure we can save a few hundred bucks if we pool together and buy a pallet of  ammo and have it shipped up . The problem is  no one wants thier name attached to that much ammo .
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]
-The cost of living isn't really an issue.  You tend to make more up here than you do in the lower 48.  
-The 24/7 sunlight in the summer makes it hard to sleep sometimes.
-The mosquitoes are very annoying
-40 below for a week or 2 at a time can suck.
-Finding what you want at stores is sometimes an issue, unless you live in Anchorage.

But, it's a great place to hunt, fish, raise a family, snow machine, Mnt. Bike, hike, etc.........
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
As a normal bulk order guy my last shipment was 4 pallets worth at a tagged price of $26.5k!  Lots of ammo for AK shooters.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
well when is your next one?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Last one shipped from Kent, WA last week.  Probably do another one in a few months during winter.  I'll make a post when time comes if enough interest is out there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:07:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
-The 24/7 sunlight in the summer makes it hard to sleep sometimes.
-The mosquitoes are very annoying
-40 below for a week or 2 at a time can suck.

None of those are really an issue in Southeast AK.  Never see 24/7 daylight or darkness, daylight ranges from 6 to 18 hours a day or so.

In the evening, you will still get bit, but mostly by noseeums.

Never really have temps colder than 25 in the wintertime, especially on the outside coast.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Is this bad?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top