Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 9:27:13 PM EDT
I was recently looking through the Alaskan Emplyment website and found A Job In Point Hope that Im interested in. Could anyone tell me if the .gov updates that site often? Because the Ad had no posted Date. The Job is Wattsewater Plant operator. I have 1 year of schooling and 3 months in-plant experience And the wages they are offering are alot higher than what is being offered here in Oregon. Also Is there any year round roads In-Out of Point Hope?
Thanks
Oregon Shooter
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
No roads period. Welcome to Alaska. Apply but you may not have enough time in school yet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Oregon
We need to talk about Point Hopeless

THe Wattsewater Plant Operator job is a good one.  The village of point hope is not so good. Really look into Point Hope before you leave Oregon.  Contact me if you need to talk more
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Alaska villages, racisim at it's finest. They can't do it so they pay people ( if our tax dollars given to them count as paying) to come in and do it for them, then hate us for it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are still looking in the spring, we are building a wastewater plant (and a new drinking water treatment plant) at our mine in the spring.

I don't want to do it, and I will be looking for bigger and better things when construction starts.  Pay is pretty good, too.

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
There may also be wastewater jobs on the North Slope working for the Oil companies...
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah - look really carefully before taking a job in one of the villages.    

Was it Point Hope where the teachers were run out of town last year?  Lexis-Nexis was no help.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
UPDATE...

After sending in a resume They replyed back to me saying that the job closed in august.
I had no way of knowing this sence on the AK job board alot of the jobs dont have posted dates.

Id still like to work up there...
My goal is to operate heavy equipment but I currently dont have any experience and that is pritty much screwing that up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
UPDATE...

After sending in a resume They replyed back to me saying that the job closed in august.
I had no way of knowing this sence on the AK job board alot of the jobs dont have posted dates.

Id still like to work up there...
My goal is to operate heavy equipment but I currently dont have any experience and that is pritty much screwing that up.

Join the Army.  C/84th and C/864, construction engineer companies are in Alaska.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, if you join the Operators Union (Local 302), you train for free.  Part of their benefits package includes a training trust, and they offer a variety of classes.  If your home is out of town, they put you up at a hotel (or whatever they use for housing) for free while you train.  Some of those classes include Heavy Equipment Operator training. They have a hell of union.  On the project I work at, the mechanics (operators) make about $34/hr+$11 benefits package+$8/hr site bonus for permanent and relief mechs. Some of them I know that have retired make as much as $6000 to $8000/month pension.  However, it REALLY sucks where I work.  Of course it all depends on the company you work for, and if you can get the work as you are competing with everyone else based on seniority in most cases.  On the North Slope, you only make half that, but you get a buttload of overtime as they work 7/12's.  You could even fly home every 1, 2, or 3 weeks for a week or two.  Depends on your particular schedule.  They fly you in and out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top