Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 5:27:19 PM EDT
I am moving to Alaska (most likely Delta Junction).  I have a great little 30-06 but I am wondering if it will cut the mustard on Moose.  I figure the brush is so dense that it will be a short shot, so I can get a good neck shot.  But, if I fuck up I have a pissed off moose coming after me.  I would rather not have to get another rifle.  If I did, probably 300 WSM.
Advice?
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A 30-06 is fine.  This is moose we are talking about, not bear.  However, a 300WM would be even finer... A .338WM will take everything in the state, but a 30-06 will as well as long as you do your part.  Sorry, I'm a gun nut, not a hunter, so I am no real authority in this area.

Don't forget the checklist, tell tale signs of an Alaskan:

Big knife
.44 magnum
Shotgun
4x4 truck
Independent Attitude
Carharrts Clothing
Fishing gear
Snow machine
Capacity for eating large wildlife and amounts of food
Lack of lower 48 current fashion style, small urban cars, and caring about either or what other people think.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#2]
30-06 is fine. More game is taken in Ak with an '06 then any other rifle, moose, bear, 'bo the all fall. you have to do your part of course.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#3]
have a buddy that grew up in alaska...he shot a .338
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How's his shoulder and hearing?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's his shoulder and hearing?

hes 6'6" and about 235, his sholder is fine, not sure about his hearing though, LOL.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a .338 with a muzzle brake on it, much more pleasant to shoot - at the range.  But I am honestly afraid to shoot it in the woods without hearing protection.  I got it for hunting bear, if I ever get around to it.  Most .338's are nasty without a brake, but with a brake the report from the blast is really nasty.  If your friend is next to you when you touch something braked like that off, he will get slapped, then he will stomp over and slap YOU!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Sylvan,

What are you going to be doing in Delta?  The GMD project?  If so, we might meet when I get up there later this year.  Good project to be on, IMO.  At least we know the Repubs aren't going to vote it out of existance like the fuc*ing Demoncrats did the Spartan system the day it went operational in 1974.  Idiots!

Good luck with your job search!

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sylvan,

What are you going to be doing in Delta?  The GMD project?  If so, we might meet when I get up there later this year.  Good project to be on, IMO.  At least we know the Repubs aren't going to vote it out of existance like the fuc*ing Demoncrats did the Spartan system the day it went operational in 1974.  Idiots!

Good luck with your job search!

Thanks,

Merlin

Yeah,
I am on crew as a director now.  I am in colorado for training.  Just had a history class on GMD and they talked about Safeguard.  
133 days operational.  25 Billion 1974 dollars.  THAT was a waste of money.
I assume you are at SMDC in Huntsville?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top