Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2022 2:04:36 PM EDT
Thank you for contacting me about our kids' safety, legislation being considered by the Senate, and the Second Amendment. It is important for me to hear from folks in Iowa on policy matters such as this.
I am deeply saddened by the news of tragic events that occur across our country at the hands of horrific murderers and criminals, and my thoughts and prayers continue to be with the friends and families of the victims of these tragedies. The recent murders in Uvalde, Texas, Buffalo, New York, and Tulsa, Oklahoma, are heartbreaking and unconscionable. It remains important that we, as a country, review all of the surrounding evidence and specific factors that lead to these tragedies.
As a lifelong supporter of the Second Amendment, a proud gun owner, and a combat veteran, I'm adamantly opposed to any infringement on our constitutional rights. I carefully review any proposals put forward in the Senate and I believe that much of our efforts to prevent future tragedies need to focus on enforcing current gun laws, community engagement, and advancing mental health treatment   not on restrictions to law-abiding citizens' Second Amendment rights.
The Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, led by Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas), does not take away the rights of any law-abiding American. This bill addresses the specific problems that have led to horrific tragedies, including a need for additional mental health and school safety resources. This legislation provides needed investment for mental health care and necessary resources for school safety. It has no new restrictions, bans, waiting periods, or mandates for law-abiding gun owners. In addition, it requires states to provide additional due process protections, beyond what is already required, before impacting any individual who is at risk to themselves or others. I believe this is the best way to keep our kids safe and provide needed mental health resources, while also safeguarding Second Amendment rights for law abiding citizens.
Every American wants to keep our kids and our schools safe and provide folks access to mental health treatment, and this proposal helps do that without placing new restrictions on law-abiding gun owners. I have been disgusted by the radical Left's longstanding attempts to exploit horrific tragedies to pursue their partisan agenda, pushing a false narrative that the only way to stop murderers is to infringe on law-abiding citizens' rights. They are wrong, and this bill shows that.
Please know that I will continue to keep your views in mind as this issue is considered by the Senate in the future. Feel free to contact my office with any further information, as I always enjoy hearing from Iowans.
Sincerely,
Joni K. Ernst
United States Senator

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Just received the same exact reply
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I listened to her response on Simon Conway's show.  She made some good points regarding mental health issues and highlighted the few good things in the bill.  When it came to the increased background checks on 18-21 year olds and other items is seems she just regurgitated some talking points that didn't back up her position.  She also said the red flag issue didn't impact IA since we don't have one on the books.  One bad election day and all that can change real fast and I am disappointed in her shortsightedness.  Simon also didn't buy her answer and had a much better conversation the next day with IFC's John McLaughlin.  As I said in the other post, I used to trust her and was a supporter.  I no longer am.  She stabbed us in the back and kicked us in the Jimmy in one shot.  I pray we have a real constitutionalist to primary her in 2026.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I listened to her response on Simon Conway's show.  She made some good points regarding mental health issues and highlighted the few good things in the bill.  When it came to the increased background checks on 18-21 year olds and other items is seems she just regurgitated some talking points that didn't back up her position.  She also said the red flag issue didn't impact IA since we don't have one on the books.  One bad election day and all that can change real fast and I am disappointed in her shortsightedness.  Simon also didn't buy her answer and had a much better conversation the next day with IFC's John McLaughlin.  As I said in the other post, I used to trust her and was a supporter.  I no longer am.  She stabbed us in the back and kicked us in the Jimmy in one shot.  I pray we have a real constitutionalist to primary her in 2026.
View Quote

Judging by a lot of the people that have been voted into office at the state level leaves me very hopeful that we can get a constitutionalist into office
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Exact same response I got.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  She should have seen the writing on the wall, there was no gain to vote for it yet she stretched her neck out anyway.  

Come primary time in 2026 I will be very vocal about this making sure everyone remembers; if she betrayed us once, she will do so again.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top