Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, my muzzleloader shoots a 300 gr bullet @ 2750 fps, and that is a bit milder than some shoot them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are they IR type lights though?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The weapon mounted part is what it is but at least the fields aren't crowded at night so it is "safer" than the aytime deer woods would be. I have never seen a 24V IR system.

I have a pair of 24v HumVee lights mounted on my Kawasaki Mule. While they are truly 24v, they work very well at 12v!

Are they IR type lights though?

There are probably a good couple dozen surplus 12/24v IR systems going back 60 years. Some of the scout/armor/NBC vehicle IR lights could illuminate several hundred yards as well as field lights in a football stadium.

The method of take mounted IR regulation on the book isn't "it is what it is."
It's an idiot's rule that should easily be corrected by reasonable (liability adverse) parties if they were to be given a practical demonstration of the technique they put on the books as a regulation.
I believe it was AL lost their night hunting over a NV related line of duty death to one of their forest rangers a decade ago.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything new on this subject?
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anything new on this subject?
View Quote

Not since they pulled the article.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Too many negative comments so let's just remove the article and do what we want
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How very ATF of them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How very ATF of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How very ATF of them.

I think I'm just gonna say screw it, get a NEF heavy barrel slug gun, ream the chamber to 4", blow BMG brass to a straight wall, add a rim and kill a deer with a 12 gauge from hell.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think I'm just gonna say screw it, get a NEF heavy barrel slug gun, ream the chamber to 4", blow BMG brass to a straight wall, add a rim and kill a deer with a 12 gauge from hell.

View Quote

That's just crazy talk
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's just crazy talk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just crazy talk

Ed Hubel already did the hard part. Best part is it still shoots standard 12 gauge ammo.

Very fitting fuck you, but the donor gun has gotten hard to find. Obviously, the heavy barrel is a must.

.45-70 and .444 disallowed because they have more energy than a 12 gauge? Let's show them what a 12 gauge can do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ed Hubel already did the hard part. Best part is it still shoots standard 12 gauge ammo.

Very fitting fuck you, but the donor gun has gotten hard to find. Obviously, the heavy barrel is a must.

.45-70 and .444 disallowed because they have more energy than a 12 gauge? Let's show them what a 12 gauge can do.
View Quote

Those Heavy barreled single shot Ultra Slug hunters were nice shotguns. I used one for the last decade I gun hunted and the thing was a tack driver.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Any idea when the new regs are going to be published?

Starting to wonder if I put time into the .45-70 or start looking for a Henry .357 X or a 350 Legend barrel..?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#12]
From what I hear 45 70 will still be a legal cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From what I hear 45 70 will still be a legal cartridge.
View Quote

Yep. Haven't heard anything about the rest of what they wanted to disallow but .45-70 will remain legal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep. Haven't heard anything about the rest of what they wanted to disallow but .45-70 will remain legal.
View Quote

That's good to hear, but with all their flip-flopping, I'm still concerned until I see it in writing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#15]
The 2021/22 regs are posted.

"Cartridges meeting the criteria defined above are legal whether listed here or not."

We're good to go, folks!
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Regulations found HERE

RIFLES: Rifles firing straight wall or other centerfire ammunition propelling an expanding-type bullet with a maximum diameter of no less than .350 of an inch and no larger than .500 of an inch and with a published or calculated muzzle energy of 500 foot pounds or higher is legal for hunting deer during the youth and disabled hunting season and first and second shotgun seasons. The following is a partial list of allowable cartridges that has generated the most questions on legality. Cartridges meeting the criteria defined above are legal whether listed here or not.

.35 Whelen .350 Legend .358 Winchester .375 Winchester .40 S&W .44 Magnum .444 Marlin .45 Long Colt .45 Raptor .450 Bushmaster .450 Marlin .45-70 Govt .460 S&W .500 S&W
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Regulations found HERE

RIFLES: Rifles firing straight wall or other centerfire ammunition propelling an expanding-type bullet with a maximum diameter of no less than .350 of an inch and no larger than .500 of an inch and with a published or calculated muzzle energy of 500 foot pounds or higher is legal for hunting deer during the youth and disabled hunting season and first and second shotgun seasons. The following is a partial list of allowable cartridges that has generated the most questions on legality. Cartridges meeting the criteria defined above are legal whether listed here or not.

.35 Whelen .350 Legend .358 Winchester .375 Winchester .40 S&W .44 Magnum .444 Marlin .45 Long Colt .45 Raptor .450 Bushmaster .450 Marlin .45-70 Govt .460 S&W .500 S&W
View Quote

Does this basically negate the straight wall requirement?

Opening statement to me reads as if it does as long as the round used meets all the other requirements.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#19]
The DNR makes my head hurt. The way those regulations read, I don't need expanding ammunition as long as I am shooting a straight walled cartridge. If I shoot something with a neck, the projectile has to expand. How does someone even logic him/herself into a regulation like that?

My bet is the incompetent guy who wrote this is the same one (now head of the wildlife bureau) who a few years ago explained to the NRC that the public just needed more "education" when there was an outcry at the attempt to restrict magazine capacity and remove AR pistols from the late "special season" for deer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Opening statement to me reads as if it does as long as the round used meets all the other requirements.

View Quote

You posted while I was basically drafting the same thing.

I'd love to see a ticket written for a necked centerfire cartridge over 35 caliber.

Actually, 35 Wheelen is necked.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd love to see a ticket written for a necked centerfire cartridge over 35 caliber.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. When they were playing the "allowed caliber list" game last year and started all this, stuff like .400 Cor-Bon, .357 Sig and .440 Cor-Bon were on the allowed list, and some more traditional options like .35 Remington.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still baffling that an excellent round like the 30-30 still isn't allowed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep. When they were playing the "allowed caliber list" game last year and started all this, stuff like .400 Cor-Bon, .357 Sig and .440 Cor-Bon were on the allowed list, and some more traditional options like .35 Remington.
View Quote

I like your idea you sent me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I knew I should've kept that Marlin 336 in .35Rem as it looks like that will be legal.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 9 Major, or the 12 gauge from hell? Never found a donor gun for the latter.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I knew I should've kept that Marlin 336 in .35Rem as it looks like that will be legal.
View Quote

Got a Contender frame? I have a .35 barrel I could be persuaded to let you borrow.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot about the 12 gauge one. Do both!
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Major was a joke born of smartassery and boredom. As for 12 gauge from hell I will have one shortly after I find the donor gun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:39:46 AM EDT
[#30]
My 9mm has more than 500ft lb. How do you get that allowed? It is a 138gr bullet going 1375fps.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Got a Contender frame? I have a .35 barrel I could be persuaded to let you borrow.
View Quote

No. I'll just stick with my Guide Gun if I gun hunt for deer again. It's a year by year thing for me, all depends on if it snows during the season(I have to work when it snows)or if there is a big one running around I couldn't get close to during bow season.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top