Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2020 8:17:22 PM EDT
Just got told about DNR changing things up again, putting out a list of allowed rifle/handgun calibers-.45-70, .444 Marlin and a few others will be no longer allowed. What's next, chip away until we're back to shotgun only?
https://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/DNR-News-Releases/ArticleID/3304/DNR-seeking-comments-on-proposed-laws-ahead-of-the-2021-22-deer-hunting-season
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like its time for the (seems like yearly) slap to the Iowa DNRs peepee

Eta the part of tracking dogs need to be certified is also horse shit
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I already sent an email to the address in the article. They add a bunch of bottleneck service pistol calibers and take away 4 favorites that a bunch of us spent $600-$1200 on, and suddenly aren't going to be allowed, because "we said so".

I don't get the reasoning for disallowing .500S&W, and keeping .50 Beowulf either.

Meanwhile, as long as I don't use artificial light, I can use .50BMG or .700 Nitro Express at midnight on coyotes.

ETA-as for tracking wounded deer, it goes for the hunter AND the dog. So if I shoot a deer and it runs and hides, I need a training certificate or I can't go find it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, I already sent an email to the address in the article. They add a bunch of bottleneck service pistol calibers and take away 4 favorites that a bunch of us spent $600-$1200 on, and suddenly aren't going to be allowed, because "we said so".

I don't get the reasoning for disallowing .500S&W, and keeping .50 Beowulf either.

Meanwhile, as long as I don't use artificial light, I can use .50BMG or .700 Nitro Express at midnight on coyotes.

ETA-as for tracking wounded deer, it goes for the hunter AND the dog. So if I shoot a deer and it runs and hides, I need a training certificate or I can't go find it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In true DNR fashion completely retarded but I took the tracking part to mean the dog and handler which is dumb
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 3:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can use "artificial" light, as long as that light is IR, all year long except during ANY deer season. Yet if you have thermal you can use it anytime. Reason:https://www.senate.iowa.gov/democrats/2020/03/natural-resources-committee-week-9-2020/

SF 537 – Coyote hunting using infrared sighting

SF 537 would allow the use of artificial light for hunting coyotes. Current state law prohibits artificial light while hunting in most situations. Artificial light is often used by poachers. Additionally, the use of the light at night does not provide full view of the target; safe hunting practices call for the hunter to only shoot if they can identify what is behind the target.

The bill allows the use of artificial light to only infrared light sources. This would prevent the use of spotlights, which some poachers use to “freeze” the animal. The infrared light source would allow those hunting coyotes better visibility when hunting at night. Night is the preferable time to hunt coyotes because that is when they are the most active. Night hunting is allowed under current law, but the prohibition on artificial light means hunting only happens during full moonlight or with snow cover.

The bill prohibits the use of infrared light sources during shotgun or muzzleloader deer seasons. This should address some of the concerns regarding poaching that could happen with the allowed use of infrared light sources. On final passage, the Senate concurred with a House amendment to also prohibit infrared light sources in bow deer hunting seasons.
[3/11: 45-1 (No: Celsi; Absent: Breitbach, Brown, Feenstra, Hogg)]

What that essentially says is that you cannot be trusted to not poach deer. Yet those who use thermal wouldn't think of it apparently. This last bit regarding deer seasons (particularly bow and muzzleloader seasons) was added at the last minute by both legislatures due to the Committtee and the Democrats urging. Now that too is some BULLSHIT!!!

It is time that the Committee and the Democrats get their wings clipped. We held both legislatures and yet the Republicans caved to the Deomcrats and the COmmittee. Pitiful!! I call on IFC to get the BS surrounding both the cartridge debacle and the IR/thermal mess straightened out in the next session. No cartridge should be omitted. IR and thermal should be allowed 24/7/365. This idea that one MIGHT commit a crime is discriminatory and accusatory.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
So no coyote hunting from October 1st to January 10th
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe you read better than I do.  I read, IR is now OK for coyotes (good), don't use it during deer season (OK, I get it).  Coyote still open 24/7/365.

Agree/disagree?

Regarding outlawing firearms that were previously legal?  Total bullshit.  People have invested time and money in these tools.  There is no room, especially since a lot of these folks don't keep up with bullshit like pistol brace bans to learn that what they have previously used is now magical-wanded illegal.

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe you read better than I do.  I read, IR is now OK for coyotes (good), don't use it during deer season (OK, I get it).  Coyote still open 24/7/365.

Agree/disagree?

Regarding outlawing firearms that were previously legal?  Total bullshit.  People have invested time and money in these tools.  There is no room, especially since a lot of these folks don't keep up with bullshit like pistol brace bans to learn that what they have previously used is now magical-wanded illegal.

View Quote

Not the way I read it if your using nv your sol while  deer season is on which is like I said
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 3:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
On the NV yes no coyote during any deer season. That is Oct. 1 - Jan !0th until !/2 hr after sunset.  That is probably the best time of the year. The whole bill was BS because no restriction if you use thermal. The emphasis was that regarding artificial light (ie NV) being it is the favorite method for deer poachers. That is ignorance and discrimination toward those who can't afford thermal. I have a thermal and an NV. I intended to use the NV as an identifier so I didn't shoot someones GSD as well as another usable weapon.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#10]
The IR is only legal if it is on the method of take...

So if you want to scan the area you have to wave your rifle around to see...

You can't have IR on a handheld
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes you are correct. But not sure what your point is. You would most likely do that with a thermal scope on a rifle as you would scanning any area for coyote or while deer hunting with a regular scope. Most don't carry binoculars during deer season either.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes you are correct. But not sure what your point is. You would most likely do that with a thermal scope on a rifle as you would scanning any area for coyote or while deer hunting with a regular scope. Most don't carry binoculars during deer season either.
View Quote

My point is that my initial instinct is to use a handheld 1x with IR to look around because I can't see in the dark and the FOV on my 5x night vision scope is tiny

I don't need binos in the daylight to see, so the deer hunting comparison is comparing apples to potatoes
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My point is that my initial instinct is to use a handheld 1x with IR to look around because I can't see in the dark and the FOV on my 5x night vision scope is tiny

I don't need binos in the daylight to see, so the deer hunting comparison is comparing apples to potatoes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In open timber you may be right but there are situations where optics are of value so while it may be apples to oranges to you it may not be to others hunting thicker cover. If you think that others with thermal hunting coyote at night don't scan with their scopes you may need to rethink that. Especially given the cost of any decent thermal optic.

The whole point is this law needs revised to be equal across the board allowing both types of optics throughout the entire year. This idea that using the cheaper type of night optics makes you any more susceptible to poaching the precious DNR's deer herd is ridiculous and demeaning to a large sector of hunters.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Sent my letter to the dnr passed it on to my hunting buddies one good friend has been hunting with a 45/70 like many he's pissed
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking at the list, "banning"(that's what they're looking to do) the ones they are makes no sense at all. No .45-70, .460 and .500, but .475 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .458 Socom are just fine?

Is .50 Beowulf that much milder than .500S&W? The only justification that makes any sense at all is "Because we said so."
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looking at the list, "banning"(that's what they're looking to do) the ones they are makes no sense at all. No .45-70, .460 and .500, but .475 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .458 Socom are just fine?

Is .50 Beowulf that much milder than .500S&W? The only justification that makes any sense at all is "Because we said so."
View Quote

No sense

Eta 35 remington but no 500 s%w who dafuq came up with this
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#17]
The circular logic cracks me up.

If we make IR usage illegal, the poachers won't be able to to illegally poach! They'll break one law, but surely not TWO!
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#18]
DNRs logic or lack there of off their fb page

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Annual silliness from the Do Nothing Right folks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Annual silliness from the Do Nothing Right folks.
View Quote

All this shit, and we still can't use .30-30 because they decided on a .35 caliber rule.

Probably one of the better cartridges availavle for 80-90 percent of Iowa deer hunting situations.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

All this shit, and we still can't use .30-30 because they decided on a .35 caliber rule.

Probably one of the better cartridges availavle for 80-90 percent of Iowa deer hunting situations.
View Quote

I would be happy they added 35 remington but I sold my old marlin and all my reloading stuff
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Had a Win 94 in 30/30 once.  Completely underwhelmed by it.  Accuracy was mediocre.  Recoil surprisingly stout.  Never understood why that rig was so popular.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would be happy they added 35 remington but I sold my old marlin and all my reloading stuff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bouht a 14 inch .35 barrel for my Contender this summer because Walmart had 8 boxes of ammo on clearance for it.

Fun round but I like my .45-70s.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Called the governors office today to voice my frustration surprisingly they called me back and we had a long chat about the situation
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Called the governors office today to voice my frustration surprisingly they called me back and we had a long chat about the situation
View Quote

Might have to do that myself...how did it go?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Might have to do that myself...how did it go?
View Quote

Really good I thought the lady I talked to was very helpful sounded like they definitely heard some complaints about the whole situation i tried to emphasize the fact a lot of money has already been invested in currently allowed rifles and I was sick of the DNR continually overreaching also their job shouldn't be writing laws thats our elected officials job
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#27]
From the communications team at the Iowa Firearms Coalition:

Make sure you email the DNR & Governor
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#28]
All the links to this proposed list of changes are dead, keeps saying "article not found"

Did they get the point and take it down?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All the links to this proposed list of changes are dead, keeps saying "article not found"

View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

Very
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just got told about DNR changing things up again, putting out a list of allowed rifle/handgun calibers-.45-70, .444 Marlin and a few others will be no longer allowed. What's next, chip away until we're back to shotgun only?
https://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/DNR-News-Releases/ArticleID/3304/DNR-seeking-comments-on-proposed-laws-ahead-of-the-2021-22-deer-hunting-season
View Quote

I'm guessing that's what they really want. I think the genie is out of the bottle and they can't go back but they can mess with the approved calibers enough that people just say the heck with it and go back to shotguns.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm guessing that's what they really want. I think the genie is out of the bottle and they can't go back but they can mess with the approved calibers enough that people just say the heck with it and go back to shotguns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I go back to shotgun I'm building a 12 gauge from hell. .45-70 too powerful based on the standard of a 12 gauge slug? Ed Hubel has shown what a 12 gauge is capable of.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Back in the mid to late 1970's we did experiments at DMACC using various loads to determine foot energy in pounds with various calibers and shot guns.  The 12 gauge buck shot delivered the most muzzle energy at approximately 5100 foot lbs at the muzzle and the slugs were next at approximately 4800 lbs at the muzzle.  We had no way of testing the 12 gauge loads at any distance but it appears what we did and what the State is finding are 2 different things. (2800 lbs ?) I find it hard to believe that the 45/70 and 444 will deliver more energy than a slug at 25 or even 50 yards.  After 50 yards I would defer to the big caliber rifles but I find it hard to believe that anything delivers more energy at 50 yards or less than a 12 gauge 2 3/4" shell. (except a 3" shell)  My guess is most deer in Iowa are killed at well less than 100 yards.  At anything passed 50 yards it's all about accuracy.  

It could be our numbers were all wrong but it was truly an eye opener the energy a 12 gauge slug develops.  I personally think we should be concerned about accuracy to stop any poor hits and everyone fills a tag on their FIRST shot.   The move to limit wounded deer that run off and die should be our first priority.  I would think the rifles are the right tool for that job.  I would like to see the 30-30 and 30-40 Krag added to the list and fewer hand gun calibers.

kwg
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Back in the mid to late 1970's we did experiments at DMACC using various loads to determine foot energy in pounds with various calibers and shot guns.  The 12 gauge buck shot delivered the most muzzle energy at approximately 5100 foot lbs at the muzzle and the slugs were next at approximately 4800 lbs at the muzzle.  We had no way of testing the 12 gauge loads at any distance but it appears what we did and what the State is finding are 2 different things. (2800 lbs ?) I find it hard to believe that the 45/70 and 444 will deliver more energy than a slug at 25 or even 50 yards.  After 50 yards I would defer to the big caliber rifles but I find it hard to believe that anything delivers more energy at 50 yards or less than a 12 gauge 2 3/4" shell. (except a 3" shell)  My guess is most deer in Iowa are killed at well less than 100 yards.  At anything passed 50 yards it's all about accuracy.  

It could be our numbers were all wrong but it was truly an eye opener the energy a 12 gauge slug develops.  I personally think we should be concerned about accuracy to stop any poor hits and everyone fills a tag on their FIRST shot.   The move to limit wounded deer that run off and die should be our first priority.  I would think the rifles are the right tool for that job.  I would like to see the 30-30 and 30-40 Krag added to the list and fewer hand gun calibers.

kwg
View Quote

I agree, but nothing .30 caliber can be added without rewriting the law yet again since they went with a .35 caliber rule. Lots of calibers on the list that I can't imagine shooting a deer with-as much because of the type of gun that tends to be chambered for them as anything.

Before fighting to add more we need to keep what we've got.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I agree, but nothing .30 caliber can be added without rewriting the law yet again since they went with a .35 caliber rule. Lots of calibers on the list that I can't imagine shooting a deer with-as much because of the type of gun that tends to be chambered for them as anything.

View Quote

I don't disagree with keeping what we have.  But, the 30-30 and 30-40 are traditional calibers for deer hunting.  It's one of those "expand your horizons kind of things".  Something like adding bottle necked hand gun cartridges.  

kwg
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with keeping what we have.  But, the 30-30 and 30-40 are traditional calibers for deer hunting.  It's one of those "expand your horizons kind of things".  Something like adding bottle necked hand gun cartridges.  

kwg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kwg

I'm with you on the idea that both should be allowed-but the way DNR operates I think that's gonna be a tough sell.

Ideally we just do away with the caliber restrictions beyond a minimum power level, and when the idiots took unsafe shots hold them responsible and break it off in their ass.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#37]
I had a DNR officer tell me an Arrow couldn't go 200 yards...
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't find anything on this. Can someone help me find the source for this?

I don't scan with a rifle because it's stupid & unproductive but I'm also not interested in getting all my stuff confiscated by a fish cop who runs a citation book off of rules written by Fuds with little to no experience in the method of take.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:19:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't scan with a rifle because it's stupid & unproductive but I'm also not interested in getting all my stuff confiscated by a fish cop who runs a citation book off of rules written by Fuds with little to no experience in the method of take.
View Quote

From the 2020DNR hunting regs booklet pg 16-17:

A person may use an infrared light source to
hunt coyotes as long as the infrared light source
is mounted to the method of take or to a scope
mounted on the method of take. HOWEVER, no
person shall use an infrared light source to hunt
coyotes during any established muzzleloader,
bow, or shotgun deer hunting season.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:34:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. I appreciate it.
I imagine that they're trying to limit the wattage for whatever reason but mandating everyone to do shit that is at least marginally unsafe is ridiculous.
I'd like to show up at the next meeting of the big brain board with my bluegun with white light & provide a demonstration of what they've done by putting that jackass requirement in the regulation.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thank you. I appreciate it.
I imagine that they're trying to limit the wattage for whatever reason but mandating everyone to do shit that is at least marginally unsafe is ridiculous.
I'd like to show up at the next meeting of the big brain board with my bluegun with white light & provide a demonstration of what they've done by putting that jackass requirement in the regulation.
View Quote

No wattage limit that i've seen. I bought a Sniper Hog light Coyote Cannon w/mount (is an adjustable type) and 4 batteries w/charger. I can pick out cornstalks with it out to 300 and a bit more. Claims to be able to pick up eyes out to 1k but haven't experienced that yet. My big problem with the current law is the deer season restrictions taking up the best part of the year to hunt hil allowing thermal. I have both and wanted the IR as an identifier as well as to shoot with. In my opinion both types should be under no restrictions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No wattage limit that i've seen. I bought a Sniper Hog light Coyote Cannon w/mount (is an adjustable type) and 4 batteries w/charger. I can pick out cornstalks with it out to 300 and a bit more. Claims to be able to pick up eyes out to 1k but haven't experienced that yet. My big problem with the current law is the deer season restrictions taking up the best part of the year to hunt hil allowing thermal. I have both and wanted the IR as an identifier as well as to shoot with. In my opinion both types should be under no restrictions.
View Quote

I meant that requiring it to be mounted to the weapon limits that power supply. Some of the 24v systems could flood immense areas.

I have both as well and 100% agree, they should both be open 365 days a year. I am pissed that some dolts made a regulation that I have to point a gun at something if I want to look at it. That's some Serious shortbus theory that makes zero sense.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:15:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I meant that requiring it to be mounted to the weapon limits that power supply. Some of the 24v systems could flood immense areas.

I have both as well and 100% agree, they should both be open 365 days a year. I am pissed that some dolts made a regulation that I have to point a gun at something if I want to look at it. That's some Serious shortbus theory that makes zero sense.
View Quote

The weapon mounted part is what it is but at least the fields aren't crowded at night so it is "safer" than the aytime deer woods would be. I have never seen a 24V IR system.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The weapon mounted part is what it is but at least the fields aren't crowded at night so it is "safer" than the aytime deer woods would be. I have never seen a 24V IR system.
View Quote

I have a pair of 24v HumVee lights mounted on my Kawasaki Mule. While they are truly 24v, they work very well at 12v!

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have a pair of 24v HumVee lights mounted on my Kawasaki Mule. While they are truly 24v, they work very well at 12v!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they IR type lights though?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Are they IR type lights though?
View Quote

Of course they are! That's the whole point of mounting them! I also have thermal vision courtesy of an old Cadillac thermal unit and an LCD monitor screen.

You don't have to spend big bucks to have the goodies!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Of course they are! That's the whole point of mounting them! I also have thermal vision courtesy of an old Cadillac thermal unit and an LCD monitor screen.

You don't have to spend big bucks to have the goodies!
View Quote

Nice!  I was thinking about setting up something similar with an old Cadillac thermal unit as well.  Interesting...
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#48]
What's next?  Traditional muzzleloaders only?  That'll really bunch my panties.  My smokeless rig is ~$4000 ready to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What's next?  Traditional muzzleloaders only?  That'll really bunch my panties.  My smokeless rig is ~$4000 ready to shoot.
View Quote

Don't give them any ideas, they'd probably go after compound bows next because they are more powerful than recurves.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:37:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I wrote DNR a rather heated letter about 45-70  in fact had to revise it to remove some comments, because I want them to actually read it, and understand how little difference there is between 45-70 and a sabot from a muzzleloader, or the difference between a 15in barrel Encore Pistol and an 18.5 in barrel Marlin rifle both in 45-70.    I think the  most likely calibers to be used for hunting deer are the ones we find lever actions commonly chambered in .357 .44m  45LC 45-70  and the hand full of AR based ones .350 Legend 458SOCOM 450BM,  and I asked why .40 S&W was not listed.   The odd ball calibers they listed for the most part one could not walk into a gun store and buy and if you could you might not find ammo.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top