Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/15/2020 10:07:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
As the home owner, you could knock it down.  If the landfill is on the ball, they will ask questions concerning asbestos and lead surveys.

If an employer gets involved, that employer would have to comply with OSHA regulations concerning protective equipment, asbestos standard, lead standard etc.  DNR is another issue. I use to be an Iowa OSHA asbestos inspector. but am now retired.
The problem is that most old houses have some lead based paint.  Asbestos was used in roofing, window glaze, floor tile, linoleum, sink undercoating, duct tape/paper, cement board siding, ceiling texture, joint compound, and much more.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess it depends on how legal you want to be. If it was me and I was friends with the local FD I'd give them notice of your intent and burn the house down myself, and only call in for help if it got out of hand. If people start asking questions it was an accident. I know a guy that burned an old house down during a snowstorm so people wouldn't see it then had a local contractor come in and bury what was left.

ETA. If you could get the FD to burn it down for free and you removed the shingles yourself paying $3-4k to have someone remove the asbestos would actually still be a cheap way to get rid of a house and keep everything on the up and up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't burn the house down by yourself. BUT, if you knock it down then you can. Most around here digs a hole next to the house then pushes the house in. Then go into the barn and grab that 55gal drum of oil you have to get rid of and roll it in withe the house. Then throw a flair into the oil and stand back. Just make sure you call the FD to let then know what you are doing in case someone calls.

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Call my son, he can price out demolishing and hauling it out of there for you.

Funny side story. Years ago my best friend, who was living outside of Verona, NY at the time, asked about burning a large pile of debris including some building materials at the county offices. The permit was $5k plus the cost of the environmental impact study. He then asked what would the fine be? It was $55 back then. They even let him prepay it...
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input guys.

Our only next door neighbor is on the "local" volunteer fire department that's 10 miles away so if I burn it would be coordinated ahead of time through him.  Whenever he burns a brush pile or ditch he "checks out" a 4X4 grass fire truck to have around just in case...this fall when he does it I'll burn our brush fire after his and pay him/fire department in beer as a just in case overwatch fee.

I'm leery of digging a hole to push the debris (burned or not) into a hole because that's in the area that I'd like to build a Morton type building in the future and don't want to deal with potential settling under the concrete foundation.  Where we will build is at the end of a 900-1,000' long driveway and would need the Morton building to house a vehicle/snow removal equipment to get back to the cabin and to park our POV in when we get there.
View Quote

It's common practice to back fill burn holes and new foundations with sand when putting a new structure in place. It's also cheap and the easiest to get level and back fill the trench.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Id talk to a local excavator/dozer guy they would know been a few abandoned farm houses around here people cooked meth in they just knock them in the basment and burn.

Kimd of a funny but true story 30+ years ago the big farm house next to my frieds place disappeared owner had shitty renters they couldnt get rid of so when they were gone he moved the entire house of stuff in the road ditch and burnt it down
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top