Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2020 4:39:07 PM EDT
Went to an actual restaurant last Saturday.  And I'm going again tonight.  Starbucks drive thru re-opened, not that I go there.  Tied up traffic pretty good on Lincoln Way in Ames.  Must have been thirty cars in line.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Alot of the little eateries by me decided to stay closed and continue the take out.

I'm going to the dentist on Monday for a cleaning but have to wear a mask, pretty stupid to me because I have to wait in the truck until I can go right back to the exam room and the only people I'll be by is the receptionist and the two people working on my teeth. If I wasn't already overdue for a cleaning by 8 months is just wait until this mask crap is over.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went to an actual restaurant last Saturday.  And I'm going again tonight.  Starbucks drive thru re-opened, not that I go there.  Tied up traffic pretty good on Lincoln Way in Ames.  Must have been thirty cars in line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Had 888 Chinafood take out last night.

Originally Posted By gunner76:
Alot of the little eateries by me decided to stay closed and continue the take out.

I'm going to the dentist on Monday for a cleaning but have to wear a mask, pretty stupid to me because I have to wait in the truck until I can go right back to the exam room and the only people I'll be by is the receptionist and the two people working on my teeth. If I wasn't already overdue for a cleaning by 8 months is just wait until this mask crap is over.

How the hell are you going to wear a mask while they clean your teeth?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

Had 888 Chinafood take out last night.  

How the hell are you going to wear a mask while they clean your teeth?
View Quote

Pretty stupid isn't it. I'll bet anything the receptionist's area will have a shield over the opening so she's not in any danger so that just leaves the dentist and assistant who'll need the mask removed anyway.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Is Hickory Park open?  Asking for my wife.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bnz42:
Is Hickory Park open?  Asking for my wife.
View Quote

Still take out only last I knew.  Most places in Ames haven’t completely opened.  Wallaby’s is one of the few and it’s limited seating.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

According to Ames People group on facebook, dining area is 50% and they are extremely busy with carry out.

btw: that fb group is a free for all, I love stirring shit up in there, you might be entertained if you're on facebook.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]

According to Ames People group on facebook, dining area is 50% and they are extremely busy with carry out.

btw: that fb group is a free for all, I love stirring shit up in there, you might be entertained if you're on facebook. 
View Quote

I think HP is grossly overrated. Decent food at a fair price but it has all the ambiance of a Morton shed.  No bar to wait in.  The place rushes you through your meal.  Noise level is to high to have any kind of conversation.  Never understood the fascination with that place.   Always seems like you are on an assembly line in there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:

I think HP is grossly overrated. Decent food at a fair price but it has all the ambiance of a Morton shed.  No bar to wait in.  The place rushes you through your meal.  Noise level is to high to have any kind of conversation.  Never understood the fascination with that place.   Always seems like you are on an assembly line in there.
View All Quotes

According to Ames People group on facebook, dining area is 50% and they are extremely busy with carry out.

btw: that fb group is a free for all, I love stirring shit up in there, you might be entertained if you're on facebook. 

I think HP is grossly overrated. Decent food at a fair price but it has all the ambiance of a Morton shed.  No bar to wait in.  The place rushes you through your meal.  Noise level is to high to have any kind of conversation.  Never understood the fascination with that place.   Always seems like you are on an assembly line in there.

I dont like it either, but lots of people do. Cant argue with a successful business.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]

I dont like it either, but lots of people do. Cant argue with a successful business. 
View Quote

Original owner finally sold out a few months ago.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Yes they are open for seating. You have to make reservation via Yelp.  Went their today for Mother’s Day-

Joe
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think HP is grossly overrated. Decent food at a fair price but it has all the ambiance of a Morton shed.  No bar to wait in.  The place rushes you through your meal.  Noise level is to high to have any kind of conversation.  Never understood the fascination with that place.   Always seems like you are on an assembly line in there.
View Quote
Do you remember Dugan's Deli?  That is, if you are old enough.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you remember Dugan's Deli?  That is, if you are old enough.
View Quote

Vaguely
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

It's decent if it's the only smokehouse you've been to in your life and the green river soda is the only thing I'd actually look forward to having. We've changed to going to Jethro's across the street. Way better for around the same price.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MidwestMiller:

It's decent if it's the only smokehouse you've been to in your life and the green river soda is the only thing I'd actually look forward to having. We've changed to going to Jethro's across the street. Way better for around the same price.
View Quote

My Texan native wife agrees. We always get the big dinner for two with all brisket for meat. So good.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I dont like it either, but lots of people do. Cant argue with a successful business. 

That's a shame. I'll admit, not being an Iowa native, but coming up here all the fucking time as a kid for ISU games, Hickory Park always is one of my favorites. There's some nostalgia about only being able to go once or twice a year as a kid, but I still love everything about it.

I remember the first time going there and the whole parking lot was paved... That tripped me out a bit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Wife and I tried the Grumpy Goat 2 nights ago.  The place was dead with very few customers.  They were not honoring posted specials, and had actually increased their prices by 20-25%.  That place continues to disappoint.
We left the Grumpy Goat, and went to the Jethros on the west side.  Prices were the same, food was great, and we had great service.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wife and I tried the Grumpy Goat 2 nights ago.  The place was dead with very few customers.  They were not honoring posted specials, and had actually increased their prices by 20-25%.  That place continues to disappoint.
We left the Grumpy Goat, and went to the Jethros on the west side.  Prices were the same, food was great, and we had great service.
View Quote

Odd.  I've always had good luck there but that was before covid.  A lot of places are going to struggle opening back up.  A lot of their help has moved on.  Financially, many have taken huge, probably fatal, hits.  WDM market is extremely competitive.  Will be interesting to see who survives.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I was praying that 888 would open.  Still confused why they even shut down in the first place.  Most of their business has always been takeout.  As for Dugan's, I remember shopping at Larson's West Street Grocery before it was Dugan's, and the soda fountain at Peterson Drugs just up the street had even better malts than Boyd's.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was praying that 888 would open.  Still confused why they even shut down in the first place.  Most of their business has always been takeout.  As for Dugan's, I remember shopping at Larson's West Street Grocery before it was Dugan's, and the soda fountain at Peterson Drugs just up the street had even better malts than Boyd's.
View Quote

Before my time.  I hit Ames in 93.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top