Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 3/9/2020 5:41:33 PM EDT
Anyone gone to the DNR sale? I'm a couple hours away, wondering if there's good deals to be had or if it'd be a waste of time.
https://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/DNR-News-Releases/ArticleID/2887/2020-DNR-sale-set-for-March-21
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's anything like the one in Minnesota it's a waste of time. Beat to hell and rusty guns going for retail prices. It's as if everyone there lacks internet access for pricing and add to that the auction atmosphere and people get dumb.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Worse than pawnshops. There might be a couple hundred guns for sale, and four of those might go for less than full retail. Saw the inventory list for the one several years ago, mostly 500s,870s and Henry .22s with a few sporterized mulsurps in the mix.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Worse than pawnshops. There might be a couple hundred guns for sale, and four of those might go for less than full retail. Saw the inventory list for the one several years ago, mostly 500s,870s and Henry .22s with a few sporterized mulsurps in the mix.
View Quote
The list this year is around 700.  Mostly pump shotguns and 22s.  Saw one or two Benellis but the bulk of the stuff was Remington, Mossberg, and similar.  Handful of high dollar rifles.  Bundles of scopes (not sure what that's about).  Need a permit to acquire, permit to carry or FFL.  Doesn't sound like the auctioneer or DNR will be doing call in checks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The list this year is around 700.  Mostly pump shotguns and 22s.  Saw one or two Benellis but the bulk of the stuff was Remington, Mossberg, and similar.  Handful of high dollar rifles.  Bundles of scopes (not sure what that's about).  Need a permit to acquire, permit to carry or FFL.  Doesn't sound like the auctioneer or DNR will be doing call in checks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, I found the list shortly after posting that. Based on what my brother in law has seen, likely $225 bid price on the 500s, $275 for the 870s, $150 and up for the rimfires and you can't afford anything that's actually interesting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, I found the list shortly after posting that. Based on what my brother in law has seen, likely $225 bid price on the 500s, $275 for the 870s, $150 and up for the rimfires and you can't afford anything that's actually interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think I’ll stay home.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Auction has been postponed due to the coronavirus. No word in the new date
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I went once with the intention of buying a few 22 rifles as gifts for friends/relatives who had expressed an interest in shooting.

Rusted, beat to death guns going for over new MSRP. Stupid people buying at stupid prices. I got a Marlin in 22 magnum for $75 only so I didn't feel like I wasted a day and that was near the tail end of the auction after most people left. This was in 2011 I believe.

Memorable moments:
Sporterized 10/22 - $500
Mini 14 - $900
Savage rifle with a Bushnell scope - $800
Rusted out and pitted Mosin that didn't look like it worked - $250 - A few weeks before the auction, my dad bought an unfired, cosmoline packed Mosin, cleaning kit, ammo pouch and a can of ammo for $200.

If you're really bored, have some time to kill and want to see some genuine stupidity from folks with more money than sense, I highly encourage going. It is an experience you won't forget.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top