Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/27/2020 4:24:15 PM EDT
Stopped at Brownells Sunday.  Friend and I hit the DSM show and he decided he needed some parts to we hopped over to Grinnell.

The have a bunch of their retro ARs used in the low $700 range.  Didn't really looked used at all; I have no idea where they came from.  Demo guns maybe?  Anyway if anyone is interested in the retro look they're over there.  I was tempted but had spent my fun money at the show.

No relation to Brownells.  I am not a hired spokesman.  Just saw them and thought I would pass it along.

Nice looking rifles I thought.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the idea and look of an old SP1 but have zero practical use for one
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love the idea and look of an old SP1 but have zero practical use for one
View Quote
Yeah I’m kind of in the same boat.  I’d like a retro but really have no use for one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is a SP-1 considered “retro”?  If so then I have a retro AR after all.  
View Quote
The ultimate retro.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've probably gotcha all beat! I've got one I bought new in 1970 with an original Colt scope, Colt bayonet, Colt bipod, and Colt mags! Haven't shot it much the last 30 years, but it still looks like new!
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
LOVE the retro stuff.  I was issued a GM HM in 73-74.  Bought a Colt SP1 new in 1976.  Still have the SP1 in the safe and am in the process of building an NFA GM HM M16A1.  Just need an M60 to round out the collection!  
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
snip...  Just need an M60 to round out the collection!  
View Quote
Yes you do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a Colt 1/12 barrel with no front sight post about a year ago.  I found an A1 front sight post from a guy in Minnesota and mounted it on the barrel.  I had an A1 stock and pistol grip I found on a table at the local gun shop.  I picked up an A1 upper from Brownells and used an Aero Precision lower (not a perfect copy of an A1 lower but it will do) and put them all together to make a copy of what I carried in Basic Training and for 18 months at the Missile Site in Alaska.  It has no real A1 value other than I can tell folks this is what I carried for 20 months out of my life.   I have shot about 1 magazine of ammo out of it to sight it in and now it hangs out in my safe.  I have other AR's that are much more fun to shoot but I just felt the need to own one.  Apparently I'm re-living my misguided youth brought into focus by 3 years in Uncle Sam's Army.

kwg
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I built a 604 clone on a Brownells retro lower, Brownells barrel and Nodak upper. Planning to change the upper for one that matches better but want to drive to Brownells and cherry pick it, the blem receivers are really variable in terms of color. Of course, it would be cheaper to paint the lower black.Attachment Attached File

ETA-Then again, I've seen A2s, freshly delivered to the unit that had a similar color mismatch.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I built a 604 clone on a Brownells retro lower, Brownells barrel and Nodak upper. Planning to change the upper for one that matches better but want to drive to Brownells and cherry pick it, the blem receivers are really variable in terms of color. Of course, it would be cheaper to paint the lower black.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146284/20200104_212716_jpg-1273952.JPG

ETA-Then again, I've seen A2s, freshly delivered to the unit that had a similar color mismatch.
View Quote
Mismatched uppers and lowers are not that uncommon in the military.  As for your particular rifle you would be better to change the upper to Colt gray instead of changing the lower to black.  604's were Colt gray, not black.

I have all my retro builds shot with Norrell's Moly Resin by Michael at CCA.  Absolutely adds to authentic appearance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mismatched uppers and lowers are not that uncommon in the military.  As for your particular rifle you would be better to change the upper to Colt gray instead of changing the lower to black.  604's were Colt gray, not black.

I have all my retro builds shot with Norrell's Moly Resin by Michael at CCA.  Absolutely adds to authentic appearance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I built a 604 clone on a Brownells retro lower, Brownells barrel and Nodak upper. Planning to change the upper for one that matches better but want to drive to Brownells and cherry pick it, the blem receivers are really variable in terms of color. Of course, it would be cheaper to paint the lower black.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146284/20200104_212716_jpg-1273952.JPG

That's a thought too, will have to think about it. Thanks.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top