Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 12/12/2019 12:01:13 PM EDT
want to know how to boost revenue quick?  be willing to work on 350Legend chambered ARs after they go boom or lock up...

the ammo makers DO NOT have this one figured out yet.  inconsistent velocities and vertical stringing in bolt guns, and those problems plus terrible cycling in gas guns.  if you're smart you'd like those guys get their poop in a group before you bought one.  i had a rig through the shop this week and absolutely locked up.  i finally got apart, but the pressure signs were through the roof.  ...and it was factory hornady ammo to boot.

my guess is the ammo makers will eventually settle in and get this hammered out.  but it will take a while.  i can see this caliber going the way of the do-do too though.  i'm not sure how this will end up.

iowa temps like these don't allow for a bunch of forgiveness either.  some of these that were tuned to run on warm july days croak when it's 20F out...
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotten a couple problem calls on them this past week also.  Interestingly, I found that all were home brew upgrades.

One thing I do with my 450BM and 350L AR-15's to run in the Iowa temp extremes is to make sure to use a cold weather lubricant.  Same advice I give for semi auto shotguns.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My homebrew ar15 has been a nightmare to get pressure signs sorted out with my handloaded ammo.  It comes down to proper expanding die and lubing the inside of the neck.  I've bulged a ton of brass and blown primers but haven't had any lock up issues, nor have I had issues with factory ammo.

It seems like this round is extremely sensitive to neck tension.  How to solve it, I am not sure.  I have been having a lot better luck (maybe solved) with Randy Hunter's expanding die from Facebook/mostek and lubing the inside of the neck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has been almost perfect. I put the whole thing together myself. Only time it has choked waas when the powder coated bullet was a little heavy on the nose. The only pressure problems were with factory Federal 180gr. Broke them down and took out 1gr of powder and they were perfect after that.

BUT, I am about ready to give up on my upper. It's just not as accurate as I hoped. I hate having to use gas checks on the bullets. I did this on the hope of using lighter pistol bullets. But non checked bullets don't hold up to the higher velocity it has to have to cycle the action.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My homebrew ar15 has been a nightmare to get pressure signs sorted out with my handloaded ammo.  It comes down to proper expanding die and lubing the inside of the neck.  I've bulged a ton of brass and blown primers but haven't had any lock up issues, nor have I had issues with factory ammo.

It seems like this round is extremely sensitive to neck tension.  How to solve it, I am not sure.  I have been having a lot better luck (maybe solved) with Randy Hunter's expanding die from Facebook/mostek and lubing the inside of the neck.
View Quote
My 357 Remington Maximum like's a lot of neck tension. I use a Lee Factory Taper Crimp die after seating to get them perfect. Depending on your bullet choice you could also roll crimp them, but I'm unsure what your headspace issues you might have using a straight wall rimless cartridge.

Running a single shot, I also chamber check each round at the time of loading.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Well- field report from my 350.  It sure seems like the Hornady 170 interlok sure likes to poke holes.  That is supported by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD0Y6rpl_t8

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/8/20/tested-winchester-s-350-legend/

I'm going to look into the Winchester 150 or a HP.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]
No problems with my 350 so far. Have ran 145 gr FMJs (for plinking) and 180 gr Federal Power Shok at 70 degrees to 10 degrees with no issue.

Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#7]
good times!

if you guys want to see the pics from the blown/stuck case, i put them up today and have some more on my cca facebook page.  way high pressure...  multiple cases in that box were flattened and with loose primers, etc.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
good times!

if you guys want to see the pics from the blown/stuck case, i put them up today and have some more on my cca facebook page.  way high pressure...  multiple cases in that box were flattened and with loose primers, etc.
View Quote
Thanks Michael, these were taken just a few miles from your place. Those pictures are crazy, are you seeing problems mostly from factory Hornady, or Winchester too?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No problems with my 350 so far. Have ran 145 gr FMJs (for plinking) and 180 gr Federal Power Shok at 70 degrees to 10 degrees with no issue.

https://i.imgur.com/XYmZqqTl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5l5QZ6ql.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xn73phdl.jpg
View Quote
Very nice buck!What county? I'd be happy with him. ETA-I see you already posted the answer.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks Michael, these were taken just a few miles from your place. Those pictures are crazy, are you seeing problems mostly from factory Hornady, or Winchester too?
View Quote
i'm hearing all kinds of trouble from both, but these recent problems were with hornady specifically.  ...i will admit freely hornady is typically my most trusted 'run of the mill' ammo company choice.  yes, they're neighbors in that sense and i know many people who work there now, but all in all they have put out consistent product.  however, that doesn't mean they can't have problems.  besides, it isn't as if problematic ammo is an epidemic.  most, not all, problems that get blamed on ammo usually end up being something else.  i would say that even though inconsistent pressure seems to be present here, the quality control on some of these barrels is joke.  bear creek should issue an apology for some of the stuff i've seen them put out into the market place.  my son is five fucking years old and i would let him cut a chamber ahead of bca...

it usually ends up, in cases like this, that there are multiple problems.  poor chambers which directly lead to gas system problems, ammo that isn't quite ready for cold temps or hot temps, gas holes that are the wrong size or aren't allowing the dwell to be realized properly, etc.  you add a couple at a time and you can chase your tail quite a bit.

i can also say this with no shame...  when you buy a complete upper for $250 you aren't getting much at all.  keep that in mind.  it isn't that you can't find a bargain, but when barrels cost $70 they haven't had much time or effort put into them.  which means you're leaving a lot to risk and chance.  if you're in for that, roll the dice.  you might come out great.  but there is a significant chance you won't.  and most people aren't so far with some of these el cheap pieces of shit.  now add ammo that is finicky as hell, and you're in a position to lose.

but...  i maintain the ammo guys will get it figure out.

the funny thing is, we're getting closer and closer to 'pistol' ammo all the time.  i'm not sure how one justifies the 350L as something kick ass when the range isn't that great.  so if you're saying it has very manageable recoil making follow up shots great, then why not run a 10mm with glock mags and do this right?  those things run like a raped ape and you have tons of capacity.  but....  it isn't the next big thing.  so...  there's that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]
10mm in what an AR platform? I've shot plenty with a G20 to know how good it works but have yet to see a 10mm AR run reliably  or am I out of the loop?

Cant believe I'm saying this but damn close to buying a hi point 10mm carbine to play with
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
10mm in what an AR platform? I've shot plenty with a G20 to know how good it works but have yet to see a 10mm AR run reliably  or am I out of the loop?

Cant believe I'm saying this but damn close to buying a hi point 10mm carbine to play with
View Quote
I've thought about reaming the chamber of my Hippoint .40 for the same reason.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
When you can buy one for 225 I wouldnt bother
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Talking about the pistol. I have $90 in the gun. One of those things that's fun to think about but will probably never get done.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#15]
...and Michael has my CCA 10MM/45ACP Glock magazine AR15 lower sitting at his place. After adopting a the 357 Remington Maximum as my Iowa deer rifle, I don't suspect that I'll ever do anything with this one. So if one of you guys want to give it a go, reach out to me and we can figure out a fair price for it.

My guess is Michael is exactly correct that the 350 Legend ammo might have a bad lot out there or two out there. But his point about it being far more likely to be crappy AR uppers is more likely the real problem. I've not heard of any issues with the 350 Legend bolt guns or single shots anywhere. If it were the ammo's fault, we would be seeing massive recalls.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#16]
CMMG delayed blowback would be the ticket for a 10mm upper. You can franken-gun them on a normal glock-mag lower (I did on a 9mm PCC setup).

I was wondering if it wasn't a chamber issue given all the shit-quality companies that like to get into the big-bore game.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
CMMG delayed blowback would be the ticket for a 10mm upper. You can franken-gun them on a normal glock-mag lower (I did on a 9mm PCC setup).

I was wondering if it wasn't a chamber issue given all the shit-quality companies that like to get into the big-bore game.
View Quote
10mm Ar would only interest me if gas and glock mag feed dont know why it's so complicated but following the tech forums here and researching it up one side and down the other it must be and that's to bad cause it'd be dreamy
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

10mm Ar would only interest me if gas and glock mag feed dont know why it's so complicated but following the tech forums here and researching it up one side and down the other it must be and that's to bad cause it'd be dreamy
View Quote
Macon Armory does a gas gun.

https://maconarmory.com/collections/all

My CMMG banshee is back at CMMG for bulging brass.  If they don't fix it I will be going to Rudy's gas upper.

I also have a blowback build that works "ok".

Back to the original topic of the thread.  I hunted with 8" 10mm carbines in the past, and I always felt "undergunned" unless I was walking through really tight cover.  This year I carried a 16" 350 legend, and although a bit less handy than a short10mm, I felt a lot more capable.  I'm considering going to a 12.5" with pistol gas for next year.  I'd like to be able to have subs cycle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm considering going to a 12.5" with pistol gas for next year.  I'd like to be able to have subs cycle.
View Quote
i'm curious how that goes for you.  keep us posted.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top